Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-31-10, 01:48 PM   #1
Shake n' Bake
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trolling motor battery

I need a new trolling motor battery and charger can anyone recommend some good ones? I will be using it to power my trolling motor on a small John boat.
Shake n' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 04:47 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I bought the Cabelas AGM battery. Great battery but expensive. Word of caution. I bought a group size 27 thinking it would be large enough for my 12 foot jonboat. I would definately go with a group size larger as by the end of the day my size 27 battery is lagging. If I was to do it all over again, I think I'd be looking for a group 31 battery or so in a less expensive brand.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 04:56 PM   #3
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have been using the Wal MArt Everlast Deep Cycle Group 27 battery, for several years. I use them on 8 to 10 hour trips, frequently on a 12 Foot Aluminum Boat, on a TM only lake. They stand up, in 6 years I have been through only 2 of them, these batteries get a lot of use.
I bought a Shumaker Charger from Wal Mart also, thats going on 5 years old. It Charges at the rate of 6, 4 and 2 amps, and shuts off automatically when the battery is charged

the battery IS HEAVY, and its best if you can charge in in the boat, Both products are very inexpensive and long lasting.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 05:26 PM   #4
Shake n' Bake
BassFishin.Com Member

So I was looking at a Optima D34M which is $170 but then I noticed that the 27M is $190 and the D31M is $250. I assume the 27, 31, and 34 are the group numbers. Why do you suppose a group 34 battery is cheaper than a group 27 battery and why is the group 31 battery so much more expensive than the group 34 battery? Can you tell I know nothing about batteries? Appreciate the help guys.
Shake n' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 05:37 PM   #5
Ebbetsguy

I don't know about Optima batteries. Some batteries serve 2 purposes, to start the gasoline engine and to run a trolling motor, maybe that has something to do with it
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 06:16 PM   #6
nofearengineer

You would think that the batteries would be numbered acording to their size and amp-hour ratings, but it isn't the case.

A Group 34 is physically smaller and has less charge capacity than a Group 27, which is in turn smaller than a Group 31.

Go figure.

Personally, I drool over the prospect of three Group 31 AGM batteries in my boat, rather than the hodgepodge of D27M's and the D34M I have now (hey, it works fine). Heck, a D31M is big enough to serve as both a cranking battery for my Optimax (1000 MCA minimum), and a trolling battery.
Old 08-31-10, 07:02 PM   #7
bamabassman

MY OPION ONLY OK? i have 1 waly world battery...cuz i ain't got the money to get what i want. just replaced the starter battery with the wally world 12 onth battery. i really hate the NEVERlast batteries form wally world, but they are cheap. they tend to only last a couple of weeks after warrenty around here.
now the 2 batteries i have on the troller are INTERSTATE batteries. love em so far.....but still NOT what i truly want.

what i TRULY want are the OPTIMA JELL BATTERIES. heard NOTHEING but good things about these. jsut remember to store em in the winter.
Old 09-01-10, 02:06 AM   #8
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm with Ebbetsguy with a wally world bigmax marine and a Schumaker ship 'n shore (although mine is the 2, 10 and 15amp) charger. So far so good, working on season 2.
Now the battery I have has the cranking amps to double as a starting battery and may serve that purpose before it's done. A true 'best buy' for a TM battery would be one with less cranking amps and higher amp/hrs. I haven't done as much research as my coworker pal with his DIY electric car (that really, really works), but AGM is a better, yet much more expensive, choice.
Thinking about it there are many factors, including boating on a budget. I've used my TM quite a bit out on the water pulling my tank around and when I come home I don't think it's ever been down to less than 75-80% remaining or so...I expect this translates to nearly pushing a small boat at a good clip all day...for $100 battery. Now it's into year 2 and I don't know how long it will last and that may determine my next choice. But when I think of it, even if I had to replace it next year, I've gotten a LOT of use out of it (sure wish I could power the big motor for $50 dollars a season for GAS!)
In NY, we definitely need to store batteries someplace warm (above freezing) over the winter and charge monthly to keep them happy....not to mention keeping them fully charged asap after each usage

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 09-01-10 at 02:18 AM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-10, 12:26 AM   #9
BassBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n' Bake View Post
I need a new trolling motor battery and charger can anyone recommend some good ones?
Charger- Stay N Charge is my recommendation. Google it guys and you won't regret it. Best investment I've made.

Batteries- I'm cheap but Everstart Maxx does me justice for 2nd year now and it running strong like new. Thank to Stay N Charge. Like I said look it up you will see why.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.