Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-24-12, 12:32 PM   #1
BigVolDaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Need help understanding hooks

For a newbie like myslef I tend to get lost standing in the fishing department at my local store. SO many different type hooks I don't know what to get. (Straight shank, Offset, Round Bend, Offset Round Bend, O'Shaugnessy, Offset Wide Gap, Extra Wide Gap, etc...) Can someone please break these down for me a little? Could you answer these questions for me?
1. When would I need a straight shank hook?

2. Are these all the same just worded different? (Offset, Round Bend, Offset Round Bend, O'Shaugnessy)??

3. Why and when will I need a EWG hook?

4. What size and type hook are best for Texas rig?

5. What size and type hook is best for C-Rig?

6. What shacky head setup do you like best?

7. What about Flukes? What is the best hooks for Zoom Flukes or other soft body type swimbaits?

8. When will I ever need or use a weighted hook?

thank you for all the help!!
BigVolDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 06:39 PM   #2
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

in my opinion, a 60 degree leg jig hook with a round bend is the best hook all around for any type of texas rigging. ewg hooks are just bad all around because of a number of reasons. first, the pull line of the hook is right underneath the hook point, where a round bend hook, the pull line is all the way to the bottom of the bend, being much further from the hook point. with the ewg hook and the pull line immediately underneath the barb, what will happen many times when i bass is pulling straight away from you, it will "hayhook" the barb right out of its mouth, resulting in a lost fish. the hook point is pointed right at the eyelet on ewg hooks. this block the hook point, and will result in hooking more fish out in the outer part of the lip. there again, you will tend to lose more fish. also, all hooks that hold your plastic up by means of the eyelet, will tend to have the plastic ball up in the throat of the hook. this also means not a good hook placement and lost fish. the 60 degree leg jig hook, when used with a hitchhiker keeper in the eyelet to attach your plastic to will do a much better job of hooking. first the leg of the hook is a lever and will always follow your line, which means it will turn the hook up every time. plus, your plastic will just slide up the hook shank and not block the throat of the hook. there is my two cents worth. do some experimenting on your own and see for yourself. if i were fishing against you, i would definitely tell you to use the ewg's.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 08:35 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ahhh I remember these days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVolDaddy View Post
For a newbie like myslef I tend to get lost standing in the fishing department at my local store. SO many different type hooks I don't know what to get. (Straight shank, Offset, Round Bend, Offset Round Bend, O'Shaugnessy, Offset Wide Gap, Extra Wide Gap, etc...) Can someone please break these down for me a little? Could you answer these questions for me?

1. When would I need a straight shank hook?

I personally like straight shank worm hooks like this for rigging texas rig worms. It helps the worm snake through the grass better and, and keeps the whole thing stream line. The lack of angles on the hook also allows for a better hook set IMO!

2. Are these all the same just worded different? (Offset, Round Bend, Offset Round Bend, O'Shaugnessy)??

The O'Shaugnessy hook is just a different variation of the an offset hook. All types of offest hooks are essentially the same, and they're good for worms. They're my next choice after straight shank.

3. Why and when will I need a EWG hook?

EWG simply stands for Extra Wide Gap.

These are crucial for your bigger bodied baits like Sweet Beavers, Brush Hogs, and any type of soft plastic toad. The larger gap allows the plastic collapse exposing the hook. With a off set or straight shank hook, they plastic can't collapse as well to expose point.

4. What size and type hook are best for Texas rig?

All the hooks mentioned are good for texas rig. As you can tell, they each have their place depending on the plastic you're using.

5. What size and type hook is best for C-Rig?

All depends on the plastic.

6. What shacky head setup do you like best?

For around here, where weeds are more predominate, I like these early in the season, or when I'm fishing around rocks (which in these parts are always surrounded by weeds ). They work very well in both types of cover. When the weeds get thicker later in the season, these Gambler Shaky Heads are good. They come through weeds very well.

I really like Trick Worms.

7. What about Flukes? What is the best hooks for Zoom Flukes or other soft body type swimbaits?

Large EWG hooks, 4/0, 5/0.

8. When will I ever need or use a weighted hook?

Keel weighted hooks like these, or these are used for Flukes or swimbaits most commonly. I've also used them for Craw baits like these and tubes with very good success.

thank you for all the help!!
Hope this helps buddy! Good fishin!
Old 05-25-12, 01:32 AM   #4
BassDood
BassFishin.Com Member

I think Bassboss has it down. I personally use Gammy EWG for almost all of my plastics. I seem to have a better hook-up ratio and I guess it's a confidence thing. Others have there own preferences
BassDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-12, 03:52 PM   #5
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassDood View Post
I think Bassboss has it down. I personally use Gammy EWG for almost all of my plastics. I seem to have a better hook-up ratio and I guess it's a confidence thing. Others have there own preferences
I have also gone to EWG hooks for all my plastics, and I fish A LOT of plastics. I carry every size from 1/0 to 5/0, but could use only the odd sizes: I down-size to a 1/0 EWG hook for senkos, 3/0 for worms, and 5/0 for frogs and 5" jerk minnows.

I do use 4/0 EWG hooks quite a bit too... they're a good size for flukes, creature baits, big worms (8"+) and ribbit frogs (but not horny-toads; those have a thick body and need a 5/0.)

I don't texas-rig anything with an EWG hook, I Tex-pose everything. The difference is subtle. Texas-rigged the point of the hook is burried in the body of the plastic; whereas Tex-posed the point of the hook is exposed and lays against your plastic. The shape of an EWG hook is good for Tex-posing.

I still carry some other hooks don't use them much.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 11:39 AM   #6
BigVolDaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you everyone for the advice. I am now ready to fill my tackle box with and go give them a try.
BigVolDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 07:05 PM   #7
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassDood View Post
I personally use Gammy EWG for almost all of my plastics.

Same, Same for me too...I buy 'em in the bulk packages too (25 or 50 whatever they come in)
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.