Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-18-04, 04:22 PM   #26
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: NAFC

how do u wright where ur from and a quote at the bottom ???
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 04:29 PM   #27
DARRYL_B
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to DARRYL_B

very slow for those who read slow...and the quote at the bottom is in your signature box in your profile...
DARRYL_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 07:15 PM   #28
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Crown-we are not that far apart-interested in getting together and fishing one of the area lakes?
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 02:03 PM   #29
DARRYL_B
BassFishin.Com Member

that sounds like fun but I must tell you...I'm part mexican...
Old 08-19-04, 04:24 PM   #30
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=crown7 link=board=news;num=1092429816;start=25#28 date=08/19/04 at 13:03:30]that sounds like fun but I must tell you...I'm part mexican...[/quote]

What part, your toe, ear, leg ;D I think Rebasser could care less, just like I could care less. If you fish, and aren't hitting on his woman then you're OK

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 04:31 PM   #31
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

Think the Confederate flag scared him a little bit. ??? Not that has anything to do with Reb. I don't think it matters to Reb either but I can see where members of a different ethnic origin might get the wrong idea. It's just all in the interpretation.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 08:04 PM   #32
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
that sounds like fun but I must tell you...I'm part mexican...
Crown, I don't know what difference that makes, but if it is the flag in my Avatar that threw you off, let me give you an explanation for that. Â*Bass fishing is my obsession, but the American Civil War is my passion. Â*I'm an avid student of that war, and being a Southerner to me the battle flag represents heritage, not hate, and it really saddens me that it has been hijacked by hate groups. Â*But that is a topic for another discussion. Â*It just shows the two things I enjoy the most-bass fishing and Civil War history.

Lizards and Strap are right-it makes no difference to me-as long as you like to fish you are welcome in my boat. And no woman to hit on so you are safe there ;D

So, you still interested?
Old 08-19-04, 09:09 PM   #33
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

I'm a Civil War buff too Reb. Â*I grew up in Hanover County, Virginia, on the grounds where the Seven Day's campaign's were fought, about 10 miles from Cold Harbor.

Today I live at Chancelorsville. Â*The area I live in would have been inside the lines the Union Army established after Jackson's flanking attack took them by surprise. Â*Jackson was driving the Federals into the Rapadan and Rappahanock Rivers, when he was shot by his own men, about 5 miles from the house here.

When Jackson was shot, the Confederate attack stalled, and Federals were able to re-establish their lines with their right anchored at Ely's Ford on the Rapadan, and their left at the U.S. Ford on the Rappahanock. Â*(Both great smallmouth rivers today BTW)

Within I guess 20? Â*25 miles or so, at least four major battles were fought. Â*Fredricksburg, Chancelorsville, Wilderness, and Spottsylvania (AKA Bloody Angle or the Mule Shoe)

Back in the "old days" I used to do a lot of relic hunting. Â*Found everything from Minnie balls to revolvers to artillery shells. Â*(Be careful with those; they can still hurt/kill you today.) Â*
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 09:54 PM   #34
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Cajun, I'd be in Hog Heaven if I was living up there. Â*I think digging for relics would be a blast. Â*I've got a few minnies and a ball from a cannister round, but I would really think that revolver would be a prize. Â*Just to walk over that battlefield would be a thrill. Â*Ever seen the marker for Stonewall's arm? Â*It is buried up there somewhere. Â*The one thing I want to do is to walk up Cemetery Ridge at Gettysburg-follow in the footsteps of Pickett's boys. Â*I just can't help but admire the courage those boys showed walking across that mile of open country under Union artillery fire the whole way. Â*And how about those boys in blue facing that charge after the pounding they took from the Confederate Artillery?

Sorry, I get carried away with this stuff. Â*Almost as much as bass fishing. Â*Almost ;D
Old 08-19-04, 10:23 PM   #35
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Jackson was shot about 4 miles from where I live now. I pass the marker every day. His arm was amputated about 20 miles southeast, near Thornburg, which is a wide spot just off I-95 at mile marker 118. I believe the arm is buried there. The house is still there, and is maintained and open to the public on certain days of the week. I went there years ago. Jackson himself is buried at VMI I believe.

I've been to Gettysburg once, and stood at the top of Little Round Top and wondered the same thing. But as brave as we southerners like to think the Confederates were for making Pickett's charge, you have to remember that the Federals who charged Mayre's Heights at Fredricksburg, came up that hill not once, as Pickets men did, but FIVE times. They never got closer than 30 yards from the wall.

Drop me an Email sometime at CajunBass@AOL.com so we don't get any more "off the subject of bass fishing".
Old 08-19-04, 10:35 PM   #36
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

So very true, Cajun-Even the Confederates were wondering why the Federals kept coming at them. As Porter Alexander said(I believe it was him) regarding the field of fire-"Not even a chicken could live in that field". Just goes to show you the weaponry had far outdistanced the tactics. Cold Harbor is another example of 19th century weaponry and 18th century tactics leading to carnage. Got your email so I'll get one off to you in a bit.
Old 08-20-04, 03:48 PM   #37
DARRYL_B
BassFishin.Com Member

wow i wasn't too serious about being mexican...i am but i joke about it light heartedly...plus it makes all my country friends laugh. How do you think I got on the boat...just kidding. Come to think of it i don't have any mexican friends. I am actually quite country but any way the flag didn't scare me though it was just a way to get to ya and break the ice. Also yall kept writing after i got off. I would've jumped in the conversation sooner. I would like to fish sometime but my fishin' is a little different. I fish with an old hippie and we drink a little and smoke a little. But the 2002 Ranger stays spotless. Exept for that damn "dip n glow" garlic dip.
Old 08-20-04, 04:08 PM   #38
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Hey Rebb,
I have what I think might be an 1866 Springfield trapdoor rifle. Of course, not a civil war gun but it was likely converted from the one of the Unions surplus rifles. It was found in the attic of one of my relatives in Jonesboro Georgia, where Sherman cut the railroad lines and finally starved out Atlanta. The house actually had been a hospital at some point during the battle. I also have a minnie ball somewhere and a stainless banner in my room. I got the stainless banner because it is IMO the more official flag of the confederacy, whereas the battleflag has been so hijacked by the KKK and others that I would tire of explaining that it is heritage and not racism.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-04, 05:16 PM   #39
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

A lot of surplus Springfields were converted to trapdoor configuration after the war. It's very probable that's what you've got.

I've always thought the "Stainless Banner" was a much prettier flag also. The "Last National" flag never really saw any use before the war ended I don't believe.

The Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond has a great display of the original battle flags for the different units. When the war ended, the battle flags were surrendered as part of the surrender terms. Years later, they were returned to the states. A lot of them ended up at the Museum of the Confederacy so they could be preserved properly. They're on public display on a rotating basis, and no photographs are allowed because the light from the flashbulbs will fade them.

For pretty, it's hard to beat the battle flag of the Federal "Irish Brigade". Man that thing was beautiful.

Maybe Kevin need a "Civil War" discussion board here now.
Old 08-20-04, 05:19 PM   #40
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

I was starting to wonder if you guys need a room to talk all this out ;D I only no what I learned in school about the civil war, the Yanks won

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-04, 05:26 PM   #41
DARRYL_B
BassFishin.Com Member

do you think the soldiers ever stopped to cast a line?
Old 08-20-04, 07:06 PM   #42
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

They sure did, Crown-as bad as the food was especially on the Southern side they had to do something to supplement their rations.

I know what you mean about the glow garlic dip. Â*The carpet in my boat is gray, and between that and Kick-n-bass scent dripping on the carpet I took it to a car wash last weekend and cleaned it up. Â*Sure looks better ;D!

Lets try to get together a little later in the fall when it cools down a little-I think you will agree being on a boat when the temp is over 100 and the heat index is even higher isn't a whole lot of fun. Â*How far are you from Lake Buchanan? Â*It is up NW of Austin and is probably about half way between us more or less-and though I have never fished it I have heard good things about the fishing up there.

Quote:
For pretty, it's hard to beat the battle flag of the Federal "Irish Brigade". Man that thing was beautiful.
Yes it was. there was an Irish Brigade in the Confederate army that had a similar flag, but I have to agree the Union brigade's flag was a thing of beauty.

The Stainless Banner is a pretty flag-I like it better than the Blood Stained Banner. Although it wasn't an "official" flag I have always liked the Bonnie Blue Flag.
Old 08-21-04, 09:12 AM   #43
Frank_Eagles
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Frank_Eagles

On the road out to our hunt club, they got a huge rebel flag. It's beautiful, rolling hills, meadows, oaks, florida scrub. Runs chills down my neck, seeing old dixie blowing in the wind like that.
Frank_Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-04, 01:29 PM   #44
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards, you're right about that. Â*The Union won the war. Â*(Or as we southerners like to say, "We took the silver.&quot

Most Northeners don't know much about the war, which is a shame. Â*Some of the most interesting people in our history came out of that conflict. Â*The question is, does history make the man? Â*Or does man make the history.

Having grown up in an area where a lot of history was made, I grew up with a real sense for it. Â*My grandfather was a big "relic hunter". Â*Back in the 60's when I was growing up, everyone hunted Civil War relics with a metal detector. Â* Â*I don't know how much "stuff" we found. Â*We had so many Minnie Balls (bullets) that we melted them down to make fishing sinkers. Â*Coat buttons by the thousands I guess, both plain and fancy. Â*Belt Buckles and cartridge box plates, stirrups and horseshoe nails, even little things you'd never think of being left behind like the metal eyelets from a man's shoe.

The most interesting things of course was something really personal. Â*Since they didn't have dog tags in Civil War days, and since so many were killed, the men knew they had a pretty good chance of not coming back. Â*Some would pin their names to their shirts on a piece of paper, but paper could get lost pretty easily, so a common practice was to scratch/carve your name and unit number onto the back of your belt buckle, (which was made of lead) hoping the burial parties had the time to look and would notify your kin back home.

The Dept of Defense still or did still then, maintained the enlistment records for the Federal Army, and the individual states still had a lot of the Confederate ones. Â*My grandfather a couple of times was able to track down someone's surviving releatives and get something he had found back to them. Â*It was rather neat to think of hearing from a distant releative who you might never have known about except that someone found a belt buckle 100 years later.

Another neat thing we would find from time to time was what we called "carved bullets". Â*A 58 cal. Minnie ball is a pretty good sized chunk of lead. Â*And being close to pure lead, it was easy to carve. Â*During times of boredom men from both sides would carve a bullet into some kind of art. Â*Some was pretty crude, but some was beautiful. Â*Chess pieces were a pretty common subject. Â*Gave you something to do when you were carving them, and you could use them when you were finished.

I neve found one, but I know people who found human remains that here either never buried, or buried in hastly dug battlefield graves. Â*If nationality could be determined, (Usually by the jacket buttons) and depending on where they were found, and how you personally felt would determine what you did. Â*Some people would contact the authorities, and the body would be exhumed and reburied in one of the Civil War cemeteries around here, or you could just say a prayer for the fallen, and leave him to rest in piece where he had rested for 100 years. Â*

There is something about walking the very ground where "it" happened. I guess unless you're a history buff, you don't understand the thrill of standing at a place like "Little Round Top" at Gettysburg and thinking that right here, on this very spot the course of history, not just for this country, but for the world changed.
Old 08-21-04, 11:46 PM   #45
spinnerb8

I walked the battlefield at Gettysburg when I was younger and remember a pile of rocks that still had bloodstains on it..might have been Little Round Top..also walked New Market Battlefield Park,another one of those places that gives you chills..hard to believe that history happened underneath your feet...
Old 08-22-04, 12:10 AM   #46
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

I know what y'all mean. I live about 10 miles from the Alamo, and to a Texan that is sacred ground. I think you are right, Cajun-you almost have to be a history buff to really appreciate standing in a spot where men died fighting for what they believed in. Good Lord willing I'll get to Gettysburg one of these days-that place has been calling me as long as I can remember-no idea as to why, it just has.
Old 08-22-04, 03:05 AM   #47
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Reb, I named my youngest son, Barrett Travis. I'm sure the significance of that name isn't lost on you.

(My wife wouldn't go with the William also. "No one has four names." She said. Years later I delighted in pointing out George Herbert Walker Bush, William Jefferson Bligh Clinton.)
Old 08-22-04, 12:27 PM   #48
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

No, it sure isn't, Cajun!
Old 08-22-04, 02:50 PM   #49
spinnerbaitking
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to spinnerbaitking

crown you ever fish the lampasas river(creeks more like it) i used to walk that stream south east of copperas cove. very pretty nothing quite like a little stream in the hill country carved down through the rock lots shade trees and hidden little pools, was that stream that first got me interested in bass fishing lota bass but nothing real big bout 2 to 2 1/2 pounds was my biggest. water clear enough to see the perch beds in the gravel. belton used to be great in the morning and evening but inbetween in the heat of the day nothing beat those shady lil creaks. wish i had some of the knowledge ive learned here back then, i was having fun but fishing like i was after trout(all i knew at the time). ps nothing beats the little frogs that are all over the banks just tie line to a leg so your hooks like a trailer pretty soon whammo strikes as viscouse as most topwater, thats what set the hook in me for bass...
spinnerbaitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 01:28 PM   #50
DARRYL_B
BassFishin.Com Member

Actually i'm originally from copperas cove...Kempner to be more specific...The lampasas river is the very first river for me to fish.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.