Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-28-06, 03:34 PM   #1
Mr. Patrick
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Fishing Trees

I just started Bass fishing about a year ago. I fish in Belton lake here in Central Texas, and the spot I like to go to has all these dead trees sitting 10 feet off the shore. I don't know how deep the water is because I don't have a fish or depth finder. But only the top branches stick's out. What would be the best way to fish this area? And what lures should I use?
Mr. Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 03:47 PM   #2
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Flip a Jig with a trailer ( differs depending on the main forage) in there. Another way is to pull a plastic worm or spinnerbait right past the edges, but this will only work if the bass are agressive.
Old 04-28-06, 03:51 PM   #3
bass kicker

throw a jig right in there and hop it back to you cast spinners right in there and cranks
Old 04-28-06, 03:52 PM   #4
NCYankee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Don't forget tube jigs or t-rigged or pegged worm/lizard.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 03:56 PM   #5
bass kicker

i havent fished a texas rigged tube yet but i WILL THIS YEAR
Old 04-28-06, 04:29 PM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum! Always glad to see a fellow Texan join the board.

Jigs are good, but this time of year I like to use a Zoom Brush Hog or Super Hog Texas rigged. I use braided line-50 lb PowerPro-so I can throw it over the flooded treetop and pull it back through the branches. I also like to throw a wacky-rigged Tiki Stick or Zoom Trickworm around the edges-no weight, just let it slooowly sink. Lately they haven't been hitting hard-the line just starts tightning up.

If you aren't sure what these rigs are post back and I'll show you what they look like.
Old 04-28-06, 05:24 PM   #7
nb1226
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nb1226

Invest in a depth finder of some sort, see if you can find any kind of creek channel that runs through/ close to those trees. The trees closest to the channel would be the most productive
nb1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 08:18 PM   #8
Zach_BassFisherman

spinnerbaits and buzzbaits are good around trees, also you may want to try and use blade dancers, that may work
Old 04-28-06, 08:41 PM   #9
bassguy2004

To find out how deep the area is just count down a jig or something you know that falls about one foot per sec. 1001, 1002, 1003, etc. By counting down it will give you something close to the actual depth. Besides, in the trees, I'd toss a black and blue jig and pig in the most likely spot and work it back slowly and then fan cast the area.
Old 04-28-06, 08:52 PM   #10
JB

I just got back from flipping trees all evening, I like to target the tree tops and then disect the limbs one by one with a spinnerbait, and tube, and sometimes with a pop R....especially the pop r all summer once it gets hot, and is still early in the morning, like from 5 a.m. till about 8
tonight I was hitting the shadest part of the trees, and got 2, it was a tough night, high pressure and bly bird skies..yada yada yada rofl
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-06, 11:44 AM   #11
Curado

Flip a jig and a tube in there. Also throw a spinnerbait and crankbait and maybe even a topwater at the right time. I also like to throw a senko around wood.
Old 04-29-06, 02:43 PM   #12
zooker

ahh a personal favorite struture.

in clear water the bass seem to hold in the shady side or directly under the trunk-wide spots also- a spinner bait doing a bump and run. a 4" high tail or baby bush hog pitched in to the branch forks. or a crankbait thumped and bumped thruogh the tree limbs.
in muddy water i would throw a spinner bait and "drag" it down the main log trunk.the key here is not to hit the tree trunk hard but putting it in like a well pitched jig.. i would follow with a 6" dead ringer or a full sized bush hog

zooker
Old 04-29-06, 04:57 PM   #13
bass kicker

coffin billed cranks and square nose cranks are good for fishing trees as well

and i am with JB tree are my fav structure to fish as well
Old 04-30-06, 05:25 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

All very good choices. Welcome to the forum bud. Do these trees still have alot of the limbs attached or are they laying at the bottom. That initself will dictate what I use the majority of the time. If the tree's still have branches hangin off of them I like a spinnerbait or a cranbait fished in the appropiate manner. If the tree's are slick thats when I go to work with the jigs and plastics.
Old 04-30-06, 08:13 AM   #15
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

One of the Tennessee locals uses the following approach......rig a plastic worm weightless and cast over the branches......bring the worm slowly though the branches and when you have just cleared the last branch coming toward you, let the lure drop.....it's usually on the drop he catches the fish....

Remember to bring the lure s l o w l y through the branches and then when the lure clears, being weightless, it will drop slowly as well. I like to texas rig weigtless and weedless with a 2/0 offset shaft worm hook. Good fishing, Mac
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-06, 08:50 AM   #16
nb1226
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nb1226

I like to dangle my worm off the lowest branch out of the water and let it drop into the water them pull it out repeatedly. Get some pretty good strikes that way.
nb1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-06, 01:58 PM   #17
hawg hunter64
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to hawg hunter64
Thumbs up

u cand do alot of things u can bounce crankbaits off the branches, u can deadstick it wit a senko,or jig it
hawg hunter64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-06, 05:25 PM   #18
bassnman30

After living in L.A. for several years,it seems that all the lakes have standing trees. We would throw Rat-l-traps. In shallow water (early morn) try a chugger i.e. Pop-R or a buzzbait. We caught a lot of bass doing this.
Old 04-30-06, 10:24 PM   #19
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac3
One of the Tennessee locals uses the following approach......rig a plastic worm weightless and cast over the branches......bring the worm slowly though the branches and when you have just cleared the last branch coming toward you, let the lure drop.....it's usually on the drop he catches the fish....

Remember to bring the lure s l o w l y through the branches and then when the lure clears, being weightless, it will drop slowly as well. I like to texas rig weigtless and weedless with a 2/0 offset shaft worm hook. Good fishing, Mac
This technique works better with 6" Zoom Lizards rotfl

Also weightless Plastics of all kinds(Flukes), tied on with Braid or Fused line of course, and go in after them

I personally would use a 1/16 oz or perhaps a 1/8 oz Pegged bullet weight with a Baby Paca Craw to start, and them go to a spinnerbait, then a crankbaits, then a PNJ, then weightless. This allows me to pick apart all aspects of the tree, with different fall rates, and speeds. Hopefully I might get a more timid one first with the small t-rig, before banging it with spinners and cranks.

Lizards
Old 05-01-06, 05:40 AM   #20
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnman30
After living in L.A. for several years,it seems that all the lakes have standing trees. We would throw Rat-l-traps. In shallow water (early morn) try a chugger i.e. Pop-R or a buzzbait. We caught a lot of bass doing this.
Would that be Lower Arkansas????
Old 05-02-06, 10:40 PM   #21
flfireman

All good choices. For the most part hit the shadier side of the tree or if there is a current flowing bring your bait threw w/ the current. Bass will use timber to ambush.
Old 05-07-06, 02:08 PM   #22
bassnman30

1Fastlaser
Think about it for a second, man thats Louisiana. Duhhh

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.