Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-10-06, 04:30 PM   #1
mount_111
BassFishin.Com Member

Default pro power

hey guys i have a few ?'s about pro power. does it cut into your reel and guides when you use it for a while? why do u put a backing on first and then tie a uni-knot to put them together. have heard good things about this line but still have my doubts. does it have very bad memory i am using pline flourclear on my spinning rods and am having very bad memory problems and i am using reel magic alot and still i am getting line twist.thanks for the help mount
mount_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-06, 05:18 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Power Pro?

No, it does not cut reel guides as far as I've heard. I think that has been proven to be a myth, although a few have experienced cut guides in those cases who was not to say that it was inferior quality guides at fault?

You always use a backing with braid for the simple fact that it has no stretch to speak of, hence if you tie it directly to the spool it may slip on a hard hookset. The mono backing just doesn't slip as much on the spool. This backing only needs to be a few yards long, just to make sure you arent going to have any slippage.

Power Pro has almost zero memory, especially after you fish with it a few days. There is no comparison memory wise to P-Line flourclear (which is a good line, it just has real memory and a fair amount of stretch).

I would say that I recommend Power Pro. Its what I use on many of my setups---except for spinning rods where I use what you are using right now. But if you are having problems with memory, PP will solve that.
Old 05-10-06, 05:18 PM   #3
JB

it has no memory at all
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-06, 05:23 PM   #4
WTL

JB, effectivly thats true...except when you pull it new off the spool. After a few trips PP softens up to where it feels like cotton, but it has a "waxy" memory at first.
Old 05-10-06, 05:28 PM   #5
JB

wtl,
i tend to generalize at times.........
Old 05-10-06, 05:29 PM   #6
WTL

And I tend to be a detail-bastard....
Old 05-10-06, 05:31 PM   #7
JB

true, but now you can say you're an educated one, welcome to the club!
Old 05-10-06, 05:40 PM   #8
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

I have a love/hate relationship with braided lines.....I love the sensitivity factor, but thats about it. I have experienced too many negatives to make braided line a part of my fishin arsenal. I've heard it is supposed to wear grooves into the eyes of your rod, but I haven't ever had any braided line on my reel long enough to find that to be true. It will dig down into the reel if any pressure is applied, like when trying to free a snag or after a good hook set. I would like to keep a reel spooled up with it and use it in heavy cover, but it will never replace mono or polymers for everyday fishing, at least in my book.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-06, 06:00 PM   #9
WTL

JB, you should know that I never let my schooling interfere with my poor, backward, TV induced education.
Old 05-10-06, 06:32 PM   #10
zooker

bitter sweet
any thing will wear grooves in rod eyes even mono. me and power pro has a descussion. it found a large grey hole to it's liking after leaving me cussing and shaking like a leaf-it let me down when i need it the most-.. besides reguardless how long you use it . it is still real noisy going thru the rod guides.. i will be back to ande braid or calcutta ultra braid. both are quiet thru the rod eyes..
Old 05-10-06, 08:36 PM   #11
mount_111
BassFishin.Com Member

Default wtl

do u have problems with memory and twist using pline on your spinning reels? if so how do u solve the problem thanks mount
mount_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-06, 09:16 PM   #12
zooker

you don't sorry sad facts are use a spinning reel and get line twist.. kinda like a bait caster use it long enough and backlashs happen.. now i know some claim that tripping the bail by hand will stop this.. thats just plain bull!!! they will still happen..

zooker
Old 05-11-06, 06:10 AM   #13
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Zooker put it well and pointed out a fact that is true. ALL line will wear guides and some more than others. One of the reasons when buying a rod always try and get the best you can by due to the fact that higher end rods will use siclicone carbide guides as to aluminum oxide guides. Siicone guides are harder and dissipate heat much faster thean alum. guides and therefore extend the life of the guide. When I repair or wrap a custom rod I give a customer the option of both and let them pick after explaining the difference. On the meory thing if you use a spinning reel its gonna get MEMORY no matter what you do. The same applys with baitcasters. Thats part of life with mono's or copolymers.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.