Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-06-06, 02:24 PM   #1
kickinbass54
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Rat-L-Trap chases?

I fished some rat-l-traps this morning on a clear lake that a very steep drop off. I had a 1/4 onze trap and was chased a half a dozen times but none of the fish would commit. I tried a fiew different colors but if i didnt have blue and crome on nothing would happen. Can u tell my why they werent comitting? thanks. I love the challange.
kickinbass54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-06, 03:00 PM   #2
nb1226
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nb1226

Did you vary your retrieve speed, cadence etc? If they are chasing that means they are interested in some aspect, perhaps they were just chasing your lure out an area. What stage were the bass in? If they bass were guarding a nest that makes sense to me. If not maybe you could have sped up your retrieve and got a least a reaction strike. Next time make some changes to your presentation, a little change can make a big difference
nb1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-06, 03:14 PM   #3
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

my guess is you somehow varied your retrieve the moment you noticed them chasing, or you didn't vary you retrieve properly. when you see them give chase you should do one of two things, keep the exact same speed retrieve, or two, speed up the retreive as if the ratltrap was trying to get away from the bass.
Old 05-06-06, 07:37 PM   #4
cullin8s
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thumbs up

It would seem that they were attracted to the lure but not triggered by it. Changing colors could help, but sometimes its hard to figure out what they want, in clear water i would say something very translucent might do the trick, but only the fish can really tell you. Changing to a larger or smaller size lure can trigger fish also sometimes, as well as mentioned above by someone changing your retrieve speed and/or adding pauses to your retrieve.

I would also try casting a follow-up bait senko at the fish that follow it and letting it do its little dance in front of them as you let it fall. The following but not commiting is very common with some lures, and in a lot of situations it happens but water clarity prevents you from knowing how often it really happens.

Hope something here helps,

Dwain
Old 05-07-06, 05:29 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cullin8s
It would seem that they were attracted to the lure but not triggered by it. Changing colors could help, but sometimes its hard to figure out what they want, in clear water i would say something very translucent might do the trick, but only the fish can really tell you. Changing to a larger or smaller size lure can trigger fish also sometimes, as well as mentioned above by someone changing your retrieve speed and/or adding pauses to your retrieve.

I would also try casting a follow-up bait senko at the fish that follow it and letting it do its little dance in front of them as you let it fall. The following but not commiting is very common with some lures, and in a lot of situations it happens but water clarity prevents you from knowing how often it really happens.

Hope something here helps,

Dwain
I'm with you on this one. You needed to change up something but as to what cullins answered correctly in that only the fish could tell ya. Spawning bass are notorious for chasing and not committing. The trick of keeping a follow up bait is a great piece of advice. I never through any bait without having a follow up handy.
Old 05-07-06, 08:33 AM   #6
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

in gin clear water with spawning bass they will NOT grab a ratling bait. we also caught a couple guarding fry this way. a small bait on a jig head -was using a tiny bush hog- the object was to find the "sweet spot" it normally takes a few mintues fooling with the fish to find it. but the object is to make the fish move but watch were it returns and absums a nose down posture-no one said it was going to be easy- you have to get the fish faceing the right direction when you put the bait in the sweet spot-which is normally smaller than a tennis ball-we would shake the rod tip with out moving the bait. i was dying the kickers on the tiny bush hog chartusese. they would dance slightly when you shook the line the bass would-and did- pick up the bait and move it with out getting the hook in it's mouth. once the fish moved the bait it would NOT touch this color of that bait again. in gin clear water bed fishing my colors were pink,white,yellow,black,green pumkin,and junebug. my partner also was using a 5-6 differant colored tube baits with the tails dyed chartusese. i do NOT like to bed fish but i will do what i have to in tournys..

zooker
Old 05-07-06, 11:23 AM   #7
jordan41
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via MSN to jordan41 Send a message via Yahoo to jordan41

speed is a big thing if u havent tried that, but when i have that promblem i just change to a wacky rigged worm it gets em all
Old 05-07-06, 04:51 PM   #8
pig n jig

I think the problem is that your bait wasn't going fast enough.Did you change boat position to get different angles to see if it made a difference ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-06, 04:05 PM   #9
bass kicker

i would also use a follow up bait

and when you seen the bass following did you just let the trap sink because alot of the times bass will hit it on the fall
Old 05-08-06, 11:29 PM   #10
flfireman

Read above, I usually speed up or completely stop. Have taken a lot of fish on the stop or just as I start my retrieve again.
Old 05-09-06, 07:18 PM   #11
bass kicker

i get most of my bass on the fall with the trap

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.