Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-08-06, 05:12 PM   #1
Zach_BassFisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default buzzin frogs

Yesterday i went to this lake, its really mossy the whole lake is coverd in moss almost, it's small, but i was using buzzin frogs and i cant seem to catch all the bass that hit it. i missed at least 25 bass. id reel them in for so long and it would seem like they just come off. i missed one that was pretty big it was pulling my drag, i had him for about maybe 5 seconds and he just came off. the frogs are weedless so maybe the hooks just arent getting them, whats goin on here??
Old 05-08-06, 07:16 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd say it was one of 2 things: The first is your hooks-were the big enough, and more importantly, are they sharp? If they won't dig into your fingernail with just a little pressure they need to be sharpened, and if they aren't big enough the plastic gets in the way of a hookset, but I'm guessing it might be your line-what were you using? If you were using anything less than braid you probably weren't getting a good hookset. I won't throw a frog on anything but 50 lb Powerpro, because I need a good hookset and I'm pulling fish out of thick cover, so I need something I can winch them out of the slop with. Braid fits the bill.
Old 05-08-06, 07:58 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

take the slack out of your line before the hook set, then once you see the bite try to count one second, to let the bass get it in the mouth.
Buy a hand file or find one in the kitchen and sharpen those hooks until you can run them across the top of your thumbnail, and the hook should sink in, if it glides over the nail, you need to sharpen some some...it only takes a minute
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-06, 11:58 PM   #4
Deacon

I just got off the phone with Zooker about this same subject. I LOVE to frog fish. It is a great way to fish out here on the Delta and Clear Lake. I will throw a frog at least 60% of the time in the dead of Summer. I realy got into throwing Zoom Horny Toads alot last summer. I had 1 of my biggest fish come on a frog. Everyone has their own way of throwing them. Everyone has a favorite color. Believe me when I say I have thrown most on the market....Here is what I stick to...

I use a 7ft med/heavy(fast tip and Strong Backbone) 3/8oz-1oz. Actually I feel that my rod is a little lite.

Curado 200 with 50lb power pro. I want a high speed reel with line that wont break or stretch.

For hooks I use a gamagatsu 4/0 superline hook. I love the superlines for the reason they are tough. I have never had to worry if they were sharp enough or strong enough. Believe me they are both! I really love em.

I stick to 2 colors for Zoom style frogs....white and black/white. I think pure white can resemble alot of things bass feed on. I dunno thats what I use....
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 08:56 AM   #5
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

wait till you feel the weight to set the hook. same with buzzbaits. dont just rip when you see the splash. you will not catch many fish that way.
Old 05-09-06, 12:31 PM   #6
Curado

It's a hard bait to hook up with especially in the thick stuff. The only thing I can tell you is to not set the hook un til you feel the fish.
Old 05-09-06, 05:38 PM   #7
Zach_BassFisherman

Any other frogs you reccomend I use their, what about the floatin frogs etc.??

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.