Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-05-04, 11:59 PM   #1
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20
Default Spinnerbait Basics

Spinnerbait Basics By Charles Graves

Spinnerbaits, or "Blades" as they are commonly called among circuit fishermen, are, without a doubt,
one of the most versatile lures a fisherman can have in thier arsenal.
They can be fished from just below the surface, all the way down to the bottom.
They can be burned back, or they can be slow rolled.

I love crankbaits, but if I had only one lure to pick to fish with on a givin day, it would be a spinnerbait.

The three keys to a good spinnerbait is wire diameter, blades, and balance.

1: The best spinnerbaits have a ultra thin wire for maximum vibration.
I prefer the spinnerbaits made by Retriever Lures, because they have a super thin 0.031 Daimeter wire.
This really kicks up a fuss and vibration.

2: Blades are the second thing you must consider when choosing a good spinnerbait.

Let’s look at the many different blade types that are available and what the differences are for each type.
There are Colorado blades, Willow Leaf blades,and Indiana blades.
The Colorado blade is a blade that is meant to be used in dingy to dirty colored water due to the fact that it gives off the most vibration of all the blades currently on the market.
The Colorado blade comes in sizes 00 to 7, 7 being the biggest. Colorado blades are also available in numerous color variations.
Next is the Indiana blade which is between a Willow Leaf and a Colorado blade. This is my first choice of blades
The Indiana blade gives off a little less vibration than the Colorado but it gives off a little more flash than the Colorado blade. The Indiana blades also come in sizes from 00 to 7 and they are also available in some colors.
The Willow Leaf is next. It is one of the more popular blades currently on the market today and its shape resembles that of a baitfish. This blade gives off less vibration than any other blade, but it gives off the most flash than all the other blades. These blades are available in sizes from 3 to 7 and they are available in more colors than any of the others.
3: Balance is also sometimes overlooked. In order to be snag resistant, and appealing too fish /the spinnerbait must run upright. If it rolls over it is not properly balanced, and a new bait should be used.

Trailers and trailer hooks. Should they be used?
In my opinion, Yes.While this is a matter of personal choice, I always use trailers, and trailer hooks.
Trailers come in a variety of styles, including straight tail, split tail, and curl tail. My favorite is a 4" Screw Grub, made by The Original Fish Formula. It is a straight tail grub.
My Trailer hook of choice is made by Daiichi, and is Bleeding Bait Red. Super Sharp.
Trailer hooks turn short strikes into caught fish.
Skirt Material and color.

Skirst are made of either rubber or silicone.I prefer the silicone. Lively action, but does not stick together as rubber tends to do.
Color is only as important as your confidence.
Fishing a Spinnerbait.

When fishing a spinnerbait, there are many different ways to fish them.
There is a method called “slow rolling.” This method can be done with baits ranging from ¼-oz to 2-oz baits.
The bait is thrown out and allowed to sink, you would then turn the handle slow enough so that the blades on the bait barely turn. This gives the bait the look of a dying or wounded baitfish.
Another method is when you throw out the bait and you reel the lure very fast to where the lure is making a wake on the surface, you can also allow the lure to blow out of the water occasionally making it look like a baitfish is running away and leaping out of the water. This method is called “burning” a spinnerbait.
Another method is where you just reel at a normal speed and pump the rod. This method makes the skirt pulsate and allows the bait to come to life.
While you are reeling if the lure gets hung up in the grass, just twitch the rod tip pulling the lure free, just don’t pull too hard or the lure will move too fast. When the lure is pulled free from the cover, you have the opportunity to get a reaction strike from the fish.
Spinnerbaits can be fished on line from 10-lb to 25-lb depending on the cover that you are fishing around. There are some braids on the market that you should also give a try. The braids are thinner in diameter and they provide such sensitivity that you will be amazed at what you can feel. Fishing with a braid, you will know when your blades quit turning either from a fish or from weeds stopping the rotation of the blades. I fish all my spinnerbaits on Spiderwire Stealth.
I use a 6'4" MH Falcon LR Spinnerbait Special Rod. It has an action specifically designed for casting and controlling spinnerbaits.
I match it up with a Pflueger Trion LP 6.3:1 Reel for the ultimate spinnerbait combo.

Good Fishing,

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-04, 12:11 AM   #2
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo
Default Re: Spinnerbait Basics

I just use a Shakespeare's Ugly Stik combo (6ft)
12lb test line (forgot what brand) and a nice 3/4 ounce
holographic baitfish immitating willow&colorado combo spinnerbait (this aint one of the cheap ones).

Fish been biting it constantly, ever since it first hit the water

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-04, 12:17 AM   #3
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-04, 12:20 AM   #4
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo

[quote author=bassboss link=board=news;num=1097031547;start=0#2 date=10/05/04 at 23:17:47]If it aint broke, don't fix it. *

charles[/quote]

~exactly

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-04, 12:23 AM   #5
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Good article, BB. Didn't realize that was you over at MOT until I saw this post!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-04, 12:27 AM   #6
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Nice article there bassboss. My small collection is currently at 25 spinners in various shapes and sizes. I keep one on a pole at all times. Are great when the shad are getting schooled and picked apart by the fishy. Also run them parallel to the grass mats and reed lines.
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-04, 06:17 PM   #7
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

well this is a decent post all though i do NOT use a trailer hook i do use a trailer.other than that you are right on.

hose holder
funny you did not buck for a stein.... i only have a falcon box with 75 baits in it. a nother 50 or so tossed in a bucket.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-04, 07:14 PM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=zooker link=board=news;num=1097031547;start=0#6 date=10/06/04 at 17:17:30]well this is a decent post all though i do NOT use a trailer hook i do use a trailer.other than that you are right on.

hose holder
funny you did not buck for a stein.... i only have a falcon box with 75 baits in it. a nother 50 or so tossed in a bucket.

zooker [/quote]

I agree with the no trailer hook, and the trailer, that's what I do with my spinnerbaits. I only use trailer hooks on a very limited basis on buzzbaits, but I prefer not to use them. As to how many spinnerbaits I have. Well it's in excess of 75, not sure exactly how many.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-04, 08:42 PM   #9
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

i HAD a boatload of spinnerbaits and buzzbaits...tore apart or cut most of them up to make them notorious zook-n-steins and grubbin zooks...now i have a boatload of zooks...don't need trailer hooks with the zooks.good article bass boss.thank you.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-04, 03:00 AM   #10
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to MarkR

ok hate to ask this but ....
what is a zook-n-stein? heard you guys talk about it but I cant find it on the web ???
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-04, 09:14 AM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=LOU link=board=news;num=1097031547;start=0#9 date=10/07/04 at 02:00:50]ok hate to ask this but ....
what is a zook-n-stein? heard you guys talk about it but I cant find it on the web ???
[/quote]

NO COMMENT :-X

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-04, 09:48 AM   #12
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

you will only find reference to the notorious zook baits here or on dave's site.you may never see one in your lifetime.only a couple of people have access to them,and they ain't talkin
Old 10-07-04, 09:51 AM   #13
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

What do you mean "NO COMMENT" ???

Common Zooker....if you would be so kind, explain

pictures would be good ;D ;D
Old 10-07-04, 09:56 AM   #14
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

I am sorryLou but at this time it is in your best interest to turn around and walk away, forget you ever heard of the zook-n-stein? Change your name and personal information, this is the only chance you have to survive, ruuuuuuuuuuunnnnnn ;D

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-04, 10:12 AM   #15
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

lou
take kybasser's advice...you could be tampering with the future of bass fishing as we know it.and it could affect future generations of your family.
Old 10-07-04, 10:42 AM   #16
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

1st rule of poker : If you dont know who's the idoit it you! :-[

Since this seems like yet another attempt from you okes in the USA to prevent the next world record bass coming from Africa I could possibly understand. ;D
Old 10-07-04, 07:26 PM   #17
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

trust me lou it is NOT personally aimmed at you but the "okes"-the hell's that-they are a rare but highly crafted custom bait that plum slays bass. my personal best is 9.3 landed.
as for picture's yes there is a picture or two i have both of them. no one but a few distracted souls have seen them. none here ever will.in case you are wondering they cost 17 bucks to build, each. my record stands at 45 bass over 5 pounds this year alone. go figure.

lou
i saw i guy in zimbobway africa -not spelled right- with a 13 + pounder. can't remeber where i saw it thou.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-04, 10:44 PM   #18
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

zook y dont u sell them if they r so great. u could make some good money
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-04, 11:23 PM   #19
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

would you pay over $20 for a spinnerbait..i don't think so.besides,look at what happened with the senko now everybody catches fish with them.
the secret will go to my grave with me.
Old 10-08-04, 02:52 AM   #20
MarkR
BassFishin.Com Member

Well Zooker if you could maybe send me a picture of it I would gladly purchase a few of them.
if they seem worth it? 8)
Old 10-08-04, 09:55 AM   #21
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

Lou,
You are in no man's land, persistance will only make him mad. Zook my apologies for young grasshopper here, he knows not what he is doing

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-04, 02:14 PM   #22
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

I always use a trailer hook on buzbaits. On spinnerbaits I use one when no cover is present.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-04, 05:59 PM   #23
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i feel left out................. ;D
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-04, 11:08 PM   #24
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

selling our zooks would be like selling our kids......(if zook had any,that is)no,sorry friends the zooks will never be available to the general public.
and if we told you how to make them,we'd have to kill you ;D

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.