Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-11-12, 10:05 PM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Lightbulb Let's think outside the box for a minute....

Alright, here lately I've been thinking about a couple of what could be considered "crazy" ideas.

Here's why these thoughts have crossed my mind; most of the lakes and darn near all the reservoirs out here are deep. This time of year may not be suitable for what I'm getting ready to say and I'm probably not the first one to think of this or even tried it (as I haven't tried them they're just thoughts/ideas).

The first one I'll call "Deep Punching".

A majority of the of the time punching is done on surface mats of grass, etc. Water depth varies under the mats, but I think most would agree that the water is shallower around these mats as they are closer to the bank.

Okay, now what about bottoms that have thick vegetation where the bass burrow down in it.

Thought process is utilizing same gear that you normally would for punching mats only used to punch the deep the vegetation. It may not be as effective as I think the water would slow the fall rate of the bait a bit.

Thoughts?

Next one: Lets call it "Drop Shot on Roids"

I drop shot a lot....one day while rigging my DS set up I thought to myself, "what if I was take a 1/2 oz or larger drop shot weight, a 3/0 EWG, offset shank, re-barb or Gammy wireguard type hook. I could Texas rig or wacky rig a senko, set up a large fluke or just about any other type of plastic."

I could see it used on a heavy FC or even braid.

Like I said earlier, it may have done or maybe it's a common practice under another name. Again, the DS on Roids I could see being used in deeper water.

Anyone, ever had any similar thoughts? Or another idea. Now pick these apart and tell me where you could the idea falling apart or not producing.
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-12, 10:31 PM   #2
USMCbassman

Well here's the DS on Roids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKqADUgEhl8
Old 10-11-12, 11:02 PM   #3
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The one thing I will say about the deep water punching is it might not be the same type of vegetation. Generally when you punch in shallow water, you're punching through a layer of vegetation to open water underneath. If the deep water grass is suspended off the bottom, it would/could be the same as shallow punching. If the grass is on the bottom, your DS on roids might be a good presentation. It would anchor you in the grass while keeping your bait up above it.

I found an article on "power shotting" by Ike.
http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/drop-shotting-power
Old 10-11-12, 11:45 PM   #4
lilmule

I have reverse thought pattern definately out of the box,toss the biggest frog ya got make a commotion and make it punch thru the mat.50-60 pd braid heavy action over 7 ft rods and 1oz frogs.
Naw if you guys can do it more power to it,I just cant punch.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-12, 11:47 PM   #5
USMCbassman

Well that answers that...Roided DS is what I'm calling though That is exactly what I'm talking about though. I believe it'll work out here in these deeper reservoirs and lakes too. I like where this is going!

I see what you're saying about the punching. Basically what I'm getting at here is pushing through the hydrilla and rooted bottom vegetation. On Lake Poway (small reservoir) where I was this past weekend I was watching the bass sit on beds and then move in the deeper parts of the hydrilla. I put on a 1/2 oz jig to get down into the vegetation, but it was heavy enough. So maybe I should have referred to it as "power jigging" using a punch type set up.

Damn Joe you have answers and articles for everything...much appreciated man!
Old 10-11-12, 11:50 PM   #6
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
I have reverse thought pattern definately out of the box,toss the biggest frog ya got make a commotion and make it punch thru the mat.50-60 pd braid heavy action over 7 ft rods and 1oz frogs.
Naw if you guys can do it more power to it,I just cant punch.
Problem for me Mule is out of the 4 lakes I've fished out here so far only 1 has mats. One has deep vegetation (upwards of 20-30 feet deep and deeper). I think a frog would lose way to much momentum on the way down to push through the vegetation. I like where you're going for the mats though and a heavy frog...hhmmm
Old 10-11-12, 11:58 PM   #7
Jrob78

Ok, I understand what you're talking about now. Yeah, I think a big heavy weight and a t-rigged plastic would work well in that type of vegetation. Something heavy enough to get down in it, plus it would be more weedless than the jig. Something like one of those bottom weighted punching rigs might work well too.
Old 10-12-12, 12:16 AM   #8
USMCbassman

I was looking at those earlier this evening on TW. I came across something similar a while back where a Japanese pro was using a Zappu weight and Sasuteki craw in a very similar manner. The only difference was he was rigging it through the side of the craw vice the top. Which, I would assume, could be done with just any plastic.
Old 10-12-12, 01:45 AM   #9
islandbass

I've labeled what you call drop shot on roids alpha shotting and I think some have called it the bubba shot.

The beauty of the DS rig is that it is not limited to light line and finesse situations. A simple step up in line, rod power and weight suitable to the cover is all that is needed.

As much as I'd like to try, my fishing environment will never see a need to punch but that sure sounds like a blast.
Old 10-13-12, 10:11 AM   #10
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think your onto something there that would work very well. You would be getting down through to the bottom, yet your bait presentation would be up off the bottom where it would most likely be more visible. Depnding on how thick the deep grass is, perhaps a Jika Rig would also work. I'm looking foreward to hearing how your drop shot presentation works.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.