Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-22-08, 09:59 AM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Unhappy Wally World not to carry fishing supplies anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
I baught a spinning pole at Wally World saturday for just 9.00 bucks. Baught some 12 lb PLine for 2.00. I had a Shimano UL4000 i baught on clearence last month for 12.00. It makes a nice inexspensive rig. Check out Wally World i could'nt belive the prices.

I heard Wally World is drastically going to decrease what they carry in fishing supplies, maybe even get rid of the fishing area all together. Maybe this is why they are getting rid of current supplies. I know a lot of the stores are about to undergo some major interior renovations. We will see how that affects the fishing department but I think it is not going to be good.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 10:51 AM   #2
Abbeysdad

That would be bad - WW is my goto place for terminal tackle and some baits 'n such. Sure would hate to see them stop stocking fishin stuff. I could switch to Dick's but it's off my regular route.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 11:05 AM   #3
thebus71h
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h

More often than not, they start to clearance the fishing stuff out in the northern states so it doesn't sit all through the winter. Ours in Richmond Indiana is getting remodeled, and they've got a whole aisle devoted to it still so I don't think it's going anywhere.
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 11:42 AM   #4
Lilmoosecountry

I talked to sporting goods manager at my local wally world. He said we just can't compete with BPS less than a mile away. He goes there prices are slightly hirer than ours. People rathor pay those prices for the atmosphere. I agree with that statment. The bad thing about that for them. Is there are 3 lakes nearby. So i believe they make money off of fishing. The decision was made by sombody in arkansas that does know about local conditions. IT's STUPID that it may be going away. But at the same time. I do plan letting the bait monkey out again at those prices.
Old 09-22-08, 11:45 AM   #5
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus71h View Post
More often than not, they start to clearance the fishing stuff out in the northern states so it doesn't sit all through the winter. Ours in Richmond Indiana is getting remodeled, and they've got a whole aisle devoted to it still so I don't think it's going anywhere.
I understand that they could be making room for other items just for the winter. However, my company was involved with the asbestos survey required before any remodel for many of the stores in Alabama. I talked with many of the managers and some of them indicated that they would be cutting back dramatically in the fishing and hunting departments. I know they might only mean it for those stores but I have noticed in our local Wal-Mart in Alabaster that the isles dedicated to fishing have been lowered. The selection over all was pretty pitiful even at the beginning of the fishing season. Maybe this reduction is just a few stores, but this worries me a bit. That is until the BPS opens up in Leeds, AL just 5 miles down the road from my work.
Old 09-22-08, 11:47 AM   #6
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
I do plan letting the bait monkey out again at those prices.
I plan on hitting the Alabaster Walmart on the way home from work to see what deals they have. I might just pick up all my Christmas gifts (from Santa to me, of course) this week if the sales are as good as you found them to be.
Old 09-22-08, 01:07 PM   #7
BassinBrits
BassFishin.Com Member

Default We hope they continue to sell fishing tackle.

A Wally World was to be one of our visits on arrival in Florida. We used to love browsing their tackle shelves kitting ourselves out. Often finding a bargain.

Tackle in the USA is a lot cheaper than in the UK and WW seemed to offer a good selection at great value. Now we won't know where to initially head for.

Tight lines >))))0> ~ Jack & Doreen
BassinBrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 01:12 PM   #8
cassidyta

Mine went through a remodel two years ago. They cleared out the department when they did it and it took them a couple of years to get it back. The only good thing was the sales
Old 09-22-08, 05:00 PM   #9
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

f&g i sure hope it is only a few stores. cause the one here in scottsboro is about the only place i can get most of what i want. there are a couple of other places....but they are HIGH! oh well, we'll see............
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 05:29 PM   #10
bassinbob

They redid the local one close to me. The fishing isle is down to about half a double row. The items they removed to discount are not very cheap. They placed all of it in a long row with other items from the whole store. I might just find a manager and ask if they will take a lump amount for what is left. I read on a post a few yersa back about someone who did this and got the lot for cheap.
Old 09-22-08, 05:38 PM   #11
zooker

i don't get my tackle from wally world no way....

zooker
Old 09-22-08, 06:06 PM   #12
WTL

Hey buckaroo, turn that frown upside down! This could mean some swell deals!
Old 09-22-08, 06:45 PM   #13
Love of the Sport

I would bet its location dependant. I live in the city and we have NO fishing supplys yet less than 15 miles away there is another WM with 4 full isles of gear.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 07:06 PM   #14
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

That just may be... all of the walmarts around here have like $5 off spools of line or so.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 07:35 PM   #15
Fishnngolfn

The one in Irondale, AL is down to 1 isle and one side is only a half isle. They have very little of everything. Most of the stuff left is geared for Crappie fishing. They had a few rods discounted but nothing to snatch up right now.
Old 09-22-08, 10:13 PM   #16
jmartin

is that all walmarts or just a few. because I just got a bonus check the wife doesnt know about that i might burn up if the local one here closes up there fishing section.
jmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 11:37 PM   #17
Wolfman7
BassFishin.Com Member

I talk to my cousin that is a manager at a ww and they are still doing the same amout of fishing stuff as always. He lives in New Mexico.

The one I go to usually has three rows of fishing stuff and one for hunting in the spring and summer and then early Aug. they switch and hunting has 2 1/2 rows for hunting and 1 1/2 for fishing. Then in early november, they have three rows of hunting and one for fishing. Then in Feb., the fishing stuff comes back. It's been that way since I move up here (Pennsylvania).
Old 09-23-08, 07:00 AM   #18
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

yeah.. i know our wally worlds went through their "major renovation" and put carpet and tile down in the clothes section.. pretty nice.. and we still have the same amount of fishing stuff
Old 09-23-08, 09:59 AM   #19
Fishnngolfn

I think the fishing department decrease is going to be location specific. I know some are just decreasing the number of isles to make room for hunting but I know some are not going to go back to what it used to be once hunting is over. I hope the Alabaster Walmart brings back their 3 fishing isles after hunting season is over. They had a good selection this spring and summer, especially in the plastics.
Old 09-23-08, 10:11 AM   #20
tnfisherman

well they dont sell here in the walmart where i live anymore i was thinking how long before they got reid of the fishing stuff to
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-08, 03:22 PM   #21
angusdad2003
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Wally World

Oh no!!!!!
Where will I get my trout eggs now?
They are a big seller down here in south Alabama
angusdad2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-08, 05:49 PM   #22
Fish2win

I just got back. I bought several spools of Suffix elite 8 lb for $4.00 per spool. I also got a $27.00 culling system for $3.00all tld I bought 70 or so dollars worth of odds and ends for about $15.00. They didnt have any good deal left on rods or reels. Not all stores are cutting back they fishing dept. Fish2win
Old 09-23-08, 09:37 PM   #23
Fishnngolfn

Apparently the deals are only in some stores. Sad, but the stores in my area don't have any good deals.
Old 09-23-08, 09:39 PM   #24
Rodman_Rob

Wally World stocks their shelves based on regional and seaonal demands. Go to 3 different stores in a 10 mile radius and you'll see everything from sugar to t-shirts to fishing levels will all have not only different prices, but different selection and stock levels. They'll have a larger selection of spanish foods if there's a large hispanic population in the area. During the start of hunting season, my local store has 3 rows of hunting supplies and 1 row of fishing. After hunting they have 2 rows fishing, 2 rows hunting. It has very little salt water tackle but go to the store in st. aug and its loaded with salt water tackle, but you can't find a plastic worm. As winter approaches, many of you in the colder areas will see walmart scale back their fishing supplies. in the spring when the temps warm back up and people want tackle, you'll see it back on the shelf. but now is definately the time to find some good deals as they're trying to make room for new non-fishing items.
Old 09-23-08, 09:39 PM   #25
bamabassman

me either f&g, ours is STILL gonna stay full price. maybe after hunting season it'll start to have a few sells.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.