Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-03-11, 02:52 PM   #1
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Favorite Prop Bait

I'm on a bit of a topwater kick right now. I only have 1 prop bait, a Heddon Baby Torpedo. I am looking to add a few more to the arsenal.

I definitely want to get a LC Kelly J and I like the looks of the Kopper's Live Target Blue Back Herring, I will probably get one of those too.

What are your favorite topwater prop baits?
Old 07-03-11, 03:40 PM   #2
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post

What are your favorite topwater prop baits?
Heddon Torpedo, Rapala Skitter Prop.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-11, 03:47 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have a few Kelly J's that I have been using for a while and I can't really get them to spit like I expected them to. I thought it was because I was using too light of line at first (12lb mono) so I stepped it up to 17lb mono and it still doesn't seem right. I am experiementing with bending the blades a little and seeing if I can get it to work better. I know on a Devils Horse if you bend the blade on the front away from the bait it will chop more and not move as far when you twitch it, if you bend the blade back it will glide further when you twitch it. For some reason I just can't get the noise out of the Kelly J that I thought I would but hopefully I can get it figured out because I love the looks of the bait.

As for my favorite prop bait I would have to say either a Devils Horse or a Wood Chopper.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-11, 05:04 PM   #4
Jrob78

The Devils Horse is a classic, I forgot about that one. That Wood Chopper is a really great looking bait, I know a place that sells Luhr Jensen baits, I will definitely check them out. I like the profile of the Skitter Prop too. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-03-11, 05:58 PM   #5
keithdog

The baby Torpedo is about the only prop bait I throw other than a buzz bait and buzz spoon. I don't do squat with buzz baits so the Baby Torpedo is my main gig with props.
Old 07-03-11, 09:22 PM   #6
bamabassman

torpedo, devils hoss are 2 of my favorites. here is a good tip if oyur s has a prop on both ends. take one prop off, reverse it and put it back on. gives it a different action.
Old 07-04-11, 07:33 AM   #7
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

Top prop for me is the tried and true "Devil's Horse". When there's a chop on the water it calls 'em up for sure.
Old 07-04-11, 08:04 AM   #8
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I have a few Kelly J's that I have been using for a while and I can't really get them to spit like I expected them to. I thought it was because I was using too light of line at first (12lb mono) so I stepped it up to 17lb mono and it still doesn't seem right. I am experiementing with bending the blades a little and seeing if I can get it to work better. I know on a Devils Horse if you bend the blade on the front away from the bait it will chop more and not move as far when you twitch it, if you bend the blade back it will glide further when you twitch it. For some reason I just can't get the noise out of the Kelly J that I thought I would but hopefully I can get it figured out because I love the looks of the bait.

As for my favorite prop bait I would have to say either a Devils Horse or a Wood Chopper.
I read somewhere to reverse the props by taking a prop off, turn it around and put it on in the same place. Supposed to make more commotion. How one would judge the difference, I have no idea. Good Fishing, Mac
Old 07-04-11, 09:51 AM   #9
Bender

I've been throwing a bait made in Texas that is about the same as a Devil's Horse this year and catching some. It's a little bigger and I can't remember the name. I sure wish that those baits had an internal weight so that they cast better. The Devil's Horse is so light that I have trouble getting it to go very far. I have gotten better with casting to keep it straight though but it has taken a lot of practice.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-11, 11:22 AM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
I read somewhere to reverse the props by taking a prop off, turn it around and put it on in the same place. Supposed to make more commotion. How one would judge the difference, I have no idea. Good Fishing, Mac
I have heard that too but I can't say whether it works or not because I have never tried it. I do tinker with bending the blades though and you can make the bait do different things just by bending the blades.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 11:54 AM   #11
Captmikestarrett

I have two very old clear Zara Spooks filled with glitter oil and both have props on them..

It is really large rucus they produce on a long dog walk. Calls them right over to strike.

Capt Mike
Old 07-05-11, 01:30 PM   #12
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

These are my favorite.
http://www.brianscrankbaits.com/prop_bee2.htm

They are expensive but they are absolutely killer baits. Been fishing them for about 5 years now and I don't know how many have bass I've caught with them. Smallies crush them in the fall up against the rocks.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 01:46 PM   #13
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

Rapala Skitter Prop.

Dave
96ecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 02:02 PM   #14
Mumpy

So, yesterday I took a friend fishing that he swears that he’s jinxed. I haven’t seen him in a while and he told me last week that he has been fishing every weekend since March and hasn’t caught his first Largemouth Bass. I’m like, this is impossible! So, I take him fishing and told him to leave all of his Tackle at home. He meets me at the Boat Ramp and we go out. I gave him a Rigged up Rod and Reel with a Black/Silver Devils Horse. The Jinx has been broken.

I had forgotten all about the Devil Horses, I used to fish with them when I was like 15 years old, I’m 45 now. About 6 months ago, my dad gave me this old tackle box he purchased at a Yard Sale. In it was some old tackle obviously, it had some Jitter Bugs, some Devil Horses, but the cool thing is I was able to restore most of the Tackle with some Tender Loving Care and New Hooks.

I can promise you this. I will not forget the Devils Horse for my next 30 years of Fishing!

Top 3 Prop Baits
#1 Devils Horse
#2 Heddons Tiny Torpedo (Denny Braur Special Edition in Lightning Shad)
#3 White Buzz Bait unless fishing at night then a Black Buzz Bait
Old 07-05-11, 05:20 PM   #15
bamabassman

hhahahaha, great to hear mumpy. i got 2 or 3 OLD devile hosses. love em. they wer made with WOOD not plastic and in my opion, work better. they may still make them out of wood. but i haven't bought any new ones so i wouldn't know. glad your buddy broke his jinx. and glad ya'l had a great day.
Old 07-06-11, 08:44 AM   #16
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I've been throwing a bait made in Texas that is about the same as a Devil's Horse this year and catching some. It's a little bigger and I can't remember the name. I sure wish that those baits had an internal weight so that they cast better. The Devil's Horse is so light that I have trouble getting it to go very far. I have gotten better with casting to keep it straight though but it has taken a lot of practice.
Edit: While cleaning up the house yesterday I found the box. It is made by East Texas Big Bass Lures. It's the Big Sputter and has a bit more weight to it at .53 oz so it casts pretty well.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 11:32 AM   #17
Marc David

Cam, the Prop Bee #2 and LC Kelly J look somewhat similar. Have you fished both before to where you could compare the two?
Marc David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 12:34 PM   #18
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc David View Post
Cam, the Prop Bee #2 and LC Kelly J look somewhat similar. Have you fished both before to where you could compare the two?
I have thrown the Kelly J a couple times. While I liked it, I didn't fish it long enough to say. Have too much confidence in the Prop Bee.

I will say that the Kelly J will be more durable however. That's the one drawback to the Prop Bee. But, with a little TLC and super glue, the Prop Bee's last a long time. As a matter of fact, I'm still fishing with one of the originals I bought.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 04:43 PM   #19
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
These are my favorite.
http://www.brianscrankbaits.com/prop_bee2.htm

They are expensive but they are absolutely killer baits. Been fishing them for about 5 years now and I don't know how many have bass I've caught with them. Smallies crush them in the fall up against the rocks.
I've been eyeing these for awhile now. I like the Prop Bees and the Shotgun. It's just hard for me to spend that kind of money on 1 bait. I know that you don't normally lose topwater baits though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Edit: While cleaning up the house yesterday I found the box. It is made by East Texas Big Bass Lures. It's the Big Sputter and has a bit more weight to it at .53 oz so it casts pretty well.
I wish you could buy these online, or at least see prices. One of their retailers is fairly close to me, might have to make a trip out there.
Old 07-07-11, 02:21 AM   #20
VolForLife
BassFishin.Com Member

Forgive me, but Im new to the terms here. WTH is all this choppin and proppin talk? Top lures on choppy water? lol
VolForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 09:03 AM   #21
DaveW731

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolForLife View Post
Forgive me, but Im new to the terms here. WTH is all this choppin and proppin talk? Top lures on choppy water? lol
Check the live link further up the thread for Wood Chopper and you will see a choppin' proppin' bait. Then, hitch up a Devil's Horse and take it for a ride. Just to make it more interesting: Wood Choppers and Devil's Horses DO work on choppy water, but that is not how the term is being used here
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 09:36 AM   #22
Old Hooker

I have always been partial to a Devils Horse.
Old 07-08-11, 10:10 PM   #23
bowhunter63
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree with alot of ya,the devils horse is still gettin it done.
Old 07-22-11, 10:28 AM   #24
DaveW731

Default Time for a new horse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter63 View Post
I agree with alot of ya,the devils horse is still gettin it done.
I agree, but I have always had problems with getting the line wound around the front prop fairly often, so I took off the front pop, removed one of the 3 trebles, moved the front treble to about the middle of the bait, put a strip of lead tape on top in the front and VOILA: new and improved devil's horse. Haven't caught a thing on it since I modified it, but at least the line doesn't get tangled
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 08:47 PM   #25
LeBron_Hill

what color would you guys recommend to look for in a devils horse?
LeBron_Hill is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.