Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-02-06, 11:35 AM   #1
LMB-n-Nebraska
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Advice on a few lures

Ok you bass studs out there, got a couple ? for you. I am going to start using some new lures this year in my bass fishing arsenal.

YUM crawbugs - How do you rig these and what is the best way to fish them? Anything different for LMB or SMB?

Jigs - I have bought a few jigs and some craw trailers. What are some tips for fishing these? When is the best time to use them?

Also, has anyone tried the Gulp! Batwinged Frog yet? Looking for some info on these baits as well.

Thanks in advance!

Greg
LMB-n-Nebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-06, 02:47 PM   #2
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

for Yum Crawbugs, use this

slide the tube jighead into the body, push the eyelet through the plastic, and tie on. When you cast it out, you'll be fishing it back to you just like a craw moves...tail first. Then, you can hop it or drag it back to you.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-06, 03:10 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Crawbugs: You can rig them like Ken says, or Texas rig them like a plastic worm. Like Ken said, rig it so the eye of the hook is back at the tail.

Jigs: Match the jig to the trailer colorwise-a YUM crawbug makes a good trailer, BTW-and throw them in and around cover. Most hits will come on the fall, so watch your line. I use 50 lb Powerpro braid-diameter of 12 lb mono-and throw into the thick stuff. I really like throwing them into flooded trees, which is one reason for using braid. Jigs are a great cold water bait. The colder the water, the slower you fish them.

If I am casting a jig I use 2 retrieves: A lift-and-drop like I do with a T-rig(Texas Rig worm) of drag it keeping it in touch with the bottom.

Gulp-heard good and bad about it-apparently it gets real hard if you leave it exposed to air, so if you use it keep an eye on it.
Old 03-02-06, 04:22 PM   #4
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

LMB, I bought a bag of the Gulp frogs last night. They had them in two colors, black and junebug. I got the junebug. I think it is too early yet for frogs here but as soon as the weather permits I'll be using them. I really like the Horny Toads the best out of all the plastic frogs I've tried so far. That includes Horny Toads, Mann's Hard Nose, Yum Buzzfrog, Case Plastics copy. I am going to try all the copies I can get my hands on this year. I really love the action with them.

Bob
Old 03-02-06, 04:44 PM   #5
JB

bob,
do you think the horny toad hooksetting is equal to a scum frog? I read where at the classic ron shefield said he lost many fish on the horny toad.
also is the mustad 40/ EWG hook better suited than a 5/0? thanks
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-06, 06:36 PM   #6
NCYankee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use stand up jig heads for crawbugs. Some times I add a skirt to them. I bought sheets of rubber skirts at Bass Pro shops a couple of years ago. They're great becuase you can cut off whatever length you want. I attach them with a small rubberband like you typically see.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-06, 02:56 AM   #7
LMB-n-Nebraska
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the replys guys! I will be trying some of this out maybe as soon as next weekend. I have a few more things to get done on my boat this weekend then I will be ready to tear it up.

Thanks and keep the info coming,

Greg
Old 03-03-06, 03:35 AM   #8
bassinbob

JB, when I first started using the Horny Toad I was also losing a few hits. This was because I had the hook point buried. Once I started to leave the point slightly exposed hooksets increased. I also noticed smaller bass were lost more often. Also a few of the bass seemed to try to stun the bait. Learning to watch the bait to see if it was a solid taking of the bait or just the stunning of the bait increased the hooking ratio. It took a lot of patience to stop from trying to slam the hook home right away. I use Gammy's 5/0 EWG. The more I fished the Toad the difference of hooksets equalled that of a scum frog. Some say the 5/0 is too big but my personal prefrence is a 5/0 over a 4/0. Also I use the red Gammys. In my mind the red seemed to increase the hits.

Bob

Old 03-03-06, 09:05 AM   #9
basstech

I rig my crawbugs on a TR Rocker jig head. It's like the chomper jig heads but has a larger offset hook molded in at a 45 degree angle. They were originally made by Bobby Garlands Better Fishing Ways, but not made anymore. Still have some but can't find an adequate replacement. Texas rigging works also, but I prefer the Jig rig.
Old 03-03-06, 09:22 PM   #10
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB-n-Nebraska
Ok you bass studs out there, got a couple ? for you. I am going to start using some new lures this year in my bass fishing arsenal.

YUM crawbugs - How do you rig these and what is the best way to fish them? Anything different for LMB or SMB?

Jigs - I have bought a few jigs and some craw trailers. What are some tips for fishing these? When is the best time to use them?

Also, has anyone tried the Gulp! Batwinged Frog yet? Looking for some info on these baits as well.

Thanks in advance!
Crawbugs, I t-rig with a pegged bullet, and have more success with thes dragging them, rather than hopping them.

Jig-N-Pig fish anytime, anywhere. I prefer them in really heavy woodpiles, brush piles, anything your afraid to throw anything at because it may get hung up, throw the Jig. Hop it, swim it, or drag it. It can also be fished with anything for a trailer, including a lizard LOL.

Never had a BATWINGED FROG , not sure if I want to either LOL. Guess if you write out in large letters POW! or UMPH!, or THWACK, like they used ot in the old Batman shows it might help But I'm guessing a Bathook, and Batpole, and Batreel would be good with your Batboat, Holy SH!T Batman, can you believe all this

Lizards

Lizards
Old 03-03-06, 10:33 PM   #11
bass kicker

craw bugs can be awsome and jig n pigs fish near docks and any wood you see
Old 03-03-06, 10:39 PM   #12
bassguy2004

Don't be afraid to rig that Craw bug on a carolina rig.
Old 03-05-06, 11:00 PM   #13
seaphantom

Send a message via AIM to seaphantom

So it's unlikely to catch a big bass jerking a 1 oz jig up an underwater hill?

sp
Old 03-05-06, 11:12 PM   #14
bass kicker

you can rig the craw bugs texas to
Old 03-07-06, 09:02 PM   #15
senko

jigs and sppinnerbaits can be fished literally ANYWHERE!!!
Old 03-07-06, 09:52 PM   #16
bass kicker

i herd the craw bugs are amazing t rigged
Old 03-07-06, 10:39 PM   #17
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaphantom

sp
Only if he doesn't bite it LOL. As Senko was so nice to point out, Jigs and Spinnerbaits can be fished anywhwere.

Lizards
Old 03-08-06, 11:12 AM   #18
LMB-n-Nebraska
BassFishin.Com Member

When you get bit with a jig is it better too:

1.Let the fish run a little with the jig.

2.Set the hook right away.

Same goes for fishing other plastics. Like with a plastic lizard or worm, I seem to have better luck letting the fish run for a second than I do setting the hook right away.

Greg
Old 03-08-06, 11:33 AM   #19
Wishing2BFishing

LizardsR, love your comments on the Bat Winged Frog and the Batboat.

Truly, this may go down as the "Season of the Frog" since the market has been flooded with frog products.

At this point, I will wait to hear the feedback later in the season as to which frog is the best. Then I will go and get some.

There are just too many choices for frogbaits.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-06, 03:57 PM   #20
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB-n-Nebraska
When you get bit with a jig is it better too:

1.Let the fish run a little with the jig.

2.Set the hook right away.

Same goes for fishing other plastics. Like with a plastic lizard or worm, I seem to have better luck letting the fish run for a second than I do setting the hook right away.
Jigs, set the hook the instant you get a bite, any longer, and the fish will usually spit it out, that's the second bump you feel. Plastics, I will allow them to take it for a time, and agree that most of the time you don't want to set the hook right away. Always have had better luck waiting some on plastics, never had any luck waiting on a Jig.

WTBF,

Man I thought it was a classic(laughed at it myself anyways ), but you are the first one that said a word about it, guess I have a warped sense of humor

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 03-08-06 at 10:31 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-06, 04:13 PM   #21
Wishing2BFishing

Lizards, if your sense of humor is warped, then mine is too cause I got a kick out of your Batwings comments. Keep em' coming.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-06, 06:46 PM   #22
senko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing
Lizards, if your sense of humor is warped, then mine is too cause I got a kick out of your Batwings comments. Keep em' coming.
same with me
Old 03-09-06, 05:01 AM   #23
fishin_dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaphantom

sp
I wouldn't jerk a jig at all, I would pick it up and let it fall all the way back to the boat horizontal of the uderwater hill, or I would swim the jig horizontally on the hill, The reason I would position the boat horizontal is to cover more of the underwater structure at the exact depth the bass are positioned, therefor you are keeping the jig in the strike zone for the longest time possible at the correct depth.
Old 03-09-06, 07:05 AM   #24
Christopherkeene9

The frog had already started here! I used 4/0 EWG only lost one since I didn't have drag set high enough for the hook set. Do you guys have problems with the zoom horny toad ripping really easy at the front where you start the hook? I have lost 3 in about 4 hours of fishing?

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 01:11 PM   #25
Christopherkeene9

Also what type of trailer for a black and blue jig. I was thinking a june bug horny toad??
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.