Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-09-06, 09:10 AM   #1
Herdbull
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Tidal waters

Without digging personally into anyone's tackle box, can anyone suggest a few good lures to use to fish the Maryland tidal waters? I do well with senko's and J&P's but I know others do well also with other things in the different seasons.

Thanks
Herdbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 03:14 PM   #2
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Are you fishing the Potomac River? I do well there with small cranks, jigs, and 4" Berkeley Pulse Worms. They will hit most anything but I find I do better when I downsize my lures compared to what I fish in lakes and ponds. If your fishing the Potomac I can give you some ideas. Just PM me.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 09:42 PM   #3
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

if it's the flats,good luck.i fished it a couple of times.won a T with one 14"fish.i hear how great it is but you couldn't prove it by me....one word comes to mind....cesspool.justMHO
Old 05-09-06, 09:59 PM   #4
flippin4it
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The Potomac river is one of the greatest fisheries in the nation, the horney toad and Senko's around the weed beds will pay off. Throw a jig in the weed beds and lilly pads. Water color has alot to do with color selection, so pay attention. Let us know where your fishing from and more pointers will follow.
Old 05-10-06, 10:22 AM   #5
Herdbull
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Thanks guy's,

I'm fishing the Northeast. I always did pretty well on the flats, never fished the Potomac but I heard good results from it. I throw a lot of senko's and J&P's but would like to try other baits as well. The Northeast and Sass. always beat me up a bit. I heard some do very well there but I'm not one of them.

Loyd's and Turner's always get pounded pretty hard and I know there are other areas to try but just have to find them. I heard brush hogs and P's work well along with ratletraps. ??

Any comments?
Thanks to all again.
Old 05-16-06, 04:28 PM   #6
Captmikestarrett

It is all about tides on the Potomac. If the tide is incoming run with the tide till it tops out and run back even faster. Pick twenty points to fish north and south on the river and run hard. Give each spot 20 minutes max unless fish are on good. Plastic works best on the river but always have a bomber A in fire tiger tied on. It it aint chartruese it aint no use...

That is how you win on the Potomac..

I hate that style of fishing personally but it works.

I prefer backwater in no wake zones myself. Maybe that is why I never won a tourny..

Capt Mike
Captmikestarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-06, 05:23 PM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ahh the old run and gun pattern -i love this crap-

zooker
Old 05-16-06, 08:32 PM   #8
Herdbull
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I went with my gut instinct and stayed with a J&P all day. 1 hour left in the tournament and I hooked up with 3 keepers. My biggest was 5lb. 9oz. Gave me a 2nd place finish and lunker.

Persistance pays off...............
Old 07-05-06, 11:16 AM   #9
3dkicker

Default Tidal Fishing

Some tidal rivers can be a challenge if you haven't spent a lot of time on them. Like any lake rivers will be different. I've fished the Potomac, James, Chick, Rapp, Choptank, etc and each has it's own style of fishing. Most baits will catch fish on these tidal rivers but you may need to play with color depending on the water.
J&P and Senko's catch fish. So do crankbaits (Bandit 200, Bomber 6A, Baby 1, etc), spinnerbaits (I like a 1/2 oz around docks and laydowns), and plastics (4" ring or rib worms, 6" worms, Baby Brush Hog/creature baits, etc.). Topwater baits include poppers, Spooks, buzzbaits, frogs/rats/toads and floating worms.
Just a few ideas.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.