Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 02-29-12, 11:03 PM   #1
Bosshog
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trade in deep v boat for a bass boat?

Hi im new here,

I currently own a deep V traker boat. Its a 2002 and I am the only owner. The boat is similar to the
2012 TRACKER® Pro Guide™ V-175 SC

Now my question is...

Its currently getting warmer here in chicago and im getting ready to fish. I have been wanting to get a bass boat for some time now and am finally ready. What is the best way to go about purchasing one now? For example, should i try n sell my boat via craigslist and then buy a used boat from a dealer or private owner, or should i try n trade it in at a dealer n buy the boat from them then?

I dont want to sell my boat now and miss out on this fishing season. I want to be able to do,a relatively fast trade. Iknow i should have done this in the winter but u know things happen. And Am not looking to spend a ton of dough either. In a perfect world i would like to do a staight up trade.

My second question is...

Since this is my first bass boat..what are some main brands i should look at? For the amount of money i will get for my boat now will i be able to buy a decent bass boat? Or should i just keep my boat? And i currently have an alluminum boat should i stick with that or go fiberglass?

Thanks i know alot of questions, but i could use some advice. It was 60degrees here today...getting excited
Bosshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-12, 11:07 PM   #2
Bosshog
BassFishin.Com Member

And my boat now has a 50 hp and an upgraded gps/fish finder.
Old 02-29-12, 11:14 PM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Get an idea what you boat is worth by researching NADA for the current value. Find a boat that you are interested in buying, there are many good boats out there and most people will tell you to get whatever their favorite is. Once you find a boat you like put it on the water, give it a test ride check the equipment out, take it to a mech. to check out the engine for you (small fee). But most of all, don't be in a hurry to find a boat, it requires times and patience, otherwise you may end up with someone elses problems.
Old 03-01-12, 02:24 AM   #4
joedog

My only input is to be very leary of trading in to dealer. They have a tendency to inflat trade in value with the discounted price you would of recieved off without the trade.
Tavery is very correct in is advice and checking NADA and actually try it out.

If you want to try the trade in route, go in to the dealer and make the best cash deal you can make.....then as an after thought ask them what the price would be with the trade. You'll then see the true value they are giving you. It will be wholesale, trust me.
Here's a few car facts;
Dealers purchase thier vehicles from the manufacturer at approx. 76% of MSRP plus a 3% hold back to help dealer offset the cost of financing. Which reduces cost on a fast selling boat. Dealer rarely will discount the holdback because we shouldn't know about it.
I'm told that boats are almost the exact same formula.
This was told to me from two Dealer owners. The boat part. The car is first hand experience.
Good luck with your adventure!
Old 03-01-12, 06:54 AM   #5
kennethdaysale

In a perfect world you might find a bass boat owner that wanted to trade titles with you, a lot of guys buy bass boats just based on the "idea" but once they own it realize that bass fishing is a little tougher than it looks on TV. At any rate you will of course get more $ for your boat with a private sale.
@joe I know boat dealers that would give their left orb to hit the ground with a 24% margin. In reality it's usually closer to 8-12%, and unless you catch a dealer that fell off the turnip truck just moments ago, that......"last minute-afterthought-trade in" don't fool anybody. Your trade is worth what it's worth--period.
Old 03-01-12, 08:29 AM   #6
joedog

Ken, the last minute trade is only meant to get you the true trade value, nothing else.
I am not saying that they even get that profit margin, when was the last time you heard of anyone paying 'sticker' for anything. I'm not going to argue that the car dealer is making the margin, thats just the starting point of thier actual cost.
The same goes for boats. I don't know the boats true margin Ever notice the new model discounts and rebates or new model cheaper than last years model, I'm doubting the price to manufacture greatly was reduced.
Talk to any car dealer and they will tell you they make nothing on new vehicles too.
This was in no way meant to criticize any dealer or anyone for that matter. The sole purpose was to TRY an explain the MSRP pricing, nothing more.
Every car and boat dealer will tell you the monies in the used boats and vehicles because they control the cost of purcasing vehicle.
The purpose was to explain why sometimes it appears like your getting a great deal for your trade value when you really may not be in actuality.
I have nothing but respect for anyone willing to make a living on selling anything in todays markets and economy.
But remember, the lights get paid, the salesman gets paid, the secretary gets paid, financing gets paid and hopefully room left for the dealer themselves to get paid. All this from the difference between buying cost and selling costs from sales unless they have like eight bays in thier service department. So is the difference true cost, hardly.
Ask any car mechanic, thier not making any where's near the hourly shop rate.
I am in no way against anyone making money!
I only wanted to help explain the intricacies of knowing what your really getting on your trade, nothing more.
I just wanted to help, not short ANYONE!
Old 03-01-12, 01:28 PM   #7
Bosshog
BassFishin.Com Member

Yes, I am definitley going to spend a considerable amount of time researching, looking and finding exactly the kind of bass boat I want. I will not rush into this trust me ive made that mistake one too many times.

I have thought of that idea to do a straight up trade with a private owner eho had a bass boat, but figured It was an impractical idea. As for dealers I will pribably go check out a few and see what they have to offer but doing it that route would be my least favored.
Old 03-01-12, 08:21 PM   #8
Bosshog
BassFishin.Com Member

One of my main concerns is that i wont have a decent amount of money to buy a good bass boat. I am planning on keeping this boat for a long time and dont want to skimp on things. I know alot what i do and dont want on the boat.

I am also questioning when to sell my boat. Should i sell it now in the spring and risk not buying another boat until winter and miss this season? Or should i wait n sell my boat in the winter n buy a bass boat then?

My boats suggested list price from nada.com was 11,500. Not sure i could get that much for it nowadays

Thanks for the help its really appreciated

Last edited by Bosshog; 03-02-12 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-04-12, 10:15 AM   #9
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The dealer might give ya 8 maybe 9 then at best. (they have to make money ya know) I'd trying selling it out right if I were you, seeing you're not in any rush. (My 2cents)

BTW welcome to our site!! Great group of folks we have and very willing to help and get our feet wet for you!!
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 05:38 PM   #10
MikeA57
BassFishin.Com Member

I recently went to NADA to get a price on selling my '85 115 Mariner and it told me $125. The motor ran good (I did sell it and the boat it was on) but the boat had a bad transom which I wasn't going to fool with fixing. I knew I should have been able to get at least 10X that price for that motor. I was right. NADA wasn't even close...
MikeA57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12, 11:00 AM   #11
Bosshog
BassFishin.Com Member

I am not sure if Im reading NADA.com results correctly. There are three prices when I pull up my boat. ONe is a suggested list price and then the other two are low and high retail prices. Can someone break these down for me???

Here is the nada page
http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/2004...dard-Equipment

and here is my craigslist listing
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/boa/2880837664.html

Do you think I am asking too much too little? Its been up for a few days without any hits.

Thanks guys

Oh yeah I went to Basspro last night and checked out there selections. The nitros are pretty nice boats...Z-8 probably a little too much boat for me tho
Old 03-07-12, 01:07 PM   #12
joedog

List is what it sold for new. MSRP
Low is if it's in bad shape
High is in good to great ,which your boat is, bare bare min.
Your's probably would be exceptional hence should sell higher than high quote.
But be aware your asking $1400 less than it sold brand new for. Actually not sold for, just what list was.
Now alot of Trackers come equiped so unless your equipment is an upgrade thats MSRP. Not 'sold for price' and very few people are paying MSRP for Trackers when thier new.
I don't know where you live but supply and demand plays a HUGH part in used boat prices.
I can't tell anyone what to charge but with that price you may eliminate even fair offers for fear you MAY be unwilling to move enough. A person may shy away from twice average retail price?
Old 03-07-12, 07:02 PM   #13
Bosshog
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
List is what it sold for new. MSRP
Low is if it's in bad shape
High is in good to great ,which your boat is, bare bare min.
Your's probably would be exceptional hence should sell higher than high quote.
But be aware your asking $1400 less than it sold brand new for. Actually not sold for, just what list was.
Now alot of Trackers come equiped so unless your equipment is an upgrade thats MSRP. Not 'sold for price' and very few people are paying MSRP for Trackers when thier new.
I don't know where you live but supply and demand plays a HUGH part in used boat prices.
I can't tell anyone what to charge but with that price you may eliminate even fair offers for fear you MAY be unwilling to move enough. A person may shy away from twice average retail price?
Thank you. I appreciate it.
Old 03-26-12, 03:24 PM   #14
Bosshog
BassFishin.Com Member

Well im selling my boat saturday for 8000 and will be in the market now for a bass boat.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.