Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-12, 12:50 PM   #1
musikman43155
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Transducer mount?

I have a Humminbird 898c that I intend on mounting to my 17ft 96 Starcraft Starcaster, which is basically the same footprint as a Bass Tracker. Is there another option for mounting the transducer to the front of the boat besides the trolling motor? Should I get a transducer guard or...?

Looking for insight before I mount the 'ducer to the TM & bust it off on a stump.

Thanks!
musikman43155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-12, 01:35 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mounting to bottom of trolling motor is a fairly sturdy mount you have prop behind it as well as a fin sometimes,in a lifetime of using them that way have yet to bust one off,have had several after five years or so use a wire got kinked or broken on the inside.But have yet to bust the transducer itself then again not trying to.I fish shallow real shallow seldom comes a day when I dont drag bottom prior to raising,on mine the fin hits prior to much of anything else,prop just afterward.
My bird is on the console as its my gps on front end keep cheap pirhanas like 30 bucks used off ebay,they tend to last 4-5 years so a more expensive new one should as well.Nice thing is all of those in same hummingbird family use same power cord,and with cheaper units sometimes the same transducer,or backwards compatible.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-12, 01:41 PM   #3
bassboogieman

If you mount on the t/m - and there isn't a better option, because a side scan 'ducer cannot be mounted inside the hull, you definitely need a transducer guard. I have busted off a transducer - which is why I bought the guard - and the guard has a few scars on it from hitting rocks, which would have been another busted transducer or two. The side scan 'ducers are just to expensive to bust up. Only other option is to mount on the stern, and I would prefer knowing what's below me, rather than behind me, but that is an option. This is the guard I have for mine and it's held up many years now, I got it long before I switched to Humminbird SI units. http://www.transducerarmor.com/ There are other brands, but I have experience with this one only, it's held up a long time and I have no reason to change. I do know the guy that makes them and he's got a good product and stands behind it.

The other thing with the 'bird SI unit I've had a problem with is interferrence from the t/m when it's running. I've been told I need to establish a common neutral between the t/m batteries and the cranking battery. Which means I need to connect a cable between the negative terminal on the t/m battery bank to the negative terminal on the cranking battery. I haven't done that yet to see if that eliminates my problem. Possibly others that have experienced this issue can comment as to how they eliminated it. I don't have an issue with the units mounted at the helm, so it makes sense to me that it is interference between the two electrical circuits.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-12, 01:48 PM   #4
Ranger Guy
BassFishin.Com Member

Yep like mule stated, its pretty safe IMO. I have a 998 at the bow and have had no issues with it. You'll have to obtain an SI transducer mount from Humminbird. They sell for 20.00 and its a metal bracket, clamp and all the hardware. Its easy and straight forward.

Its the best way to go. Between underwater shallow structures, docks & general loading/unloading the trolling motor is by far the safest & most logical mounting choice to keep from damaging a 300.00 transducer.

Humminbird Trolling Motor Mount Kit: AD STM 7

Old 03-16-12, 02:08 PM   #5
musikman43155
BassFishin.Com Member

I greatly appreciate the suggestions fellas.
Old 03-16-12, 02:27 PM   #6
musikman43155
BassFishin.Com Member

I take it the Wee Vee doesn't interfere with Humminbird Side Imaging, correct?
Old 03-16-12, 04:31 PM   #7
bassboogieman

Quote:
I take it the Wee Vee doesn't interfere with Humminbird Side Imaging, correct?
Yes that's correct, not at all. It actually is just in front of the transducer, with it's skeg protecting it from the front and below. The t/m skeg protects from the rear.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.