Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 03-28-12, 10:39 AM   #1
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Careful when selling your boat

Okay here was the deal (Or so I thought) when I sold my 94 Tracker Magna V17 DC with a 95, 115 mariner motor, and a 04 hustler galvanize trailer. The deal was that the new owner was going to pay the taxes.
I had already got the trailer tax notice in the mail, but hadn't gotten the boat tax notice yet. So we went down to the courthouse, and we signed all the documents, I handed him the trailer tax notice, and walked away, thinking all he had left to do was pay the taxes on the trailer 2.49 and boat 29.06. (that was last month) Well about a week ago I get another trailer tax notice which was typed in RED ink, saying the taxes were passed due, and I also had gotten the boat tax notice in the mail. Fast forward to today, I go down to pay my boat/trailer taxes for the 02 Tracker Avalanche. (and something just told me to take the other boat/trailer tax notices with me, to make sure everything was okay) Low and behold they say that he did not pay the taxes. Well of course I had to pay them. It wasn't really about the $32 as much, as it was that we had made the deal that he would pay the taxes. So I guess this little tale is more about sticking around till ALL the paper work is finished and money paid out as the deal was agreed upon.
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 03:15 PM   #2
Ranger Guy
BassFishin.Com Member

Yep! Unfortunately you can't trust anybody. I run a 67 year old business that I have been involved in since I was a tot and I have learned many things over my lifetime of dealing with ppl. There are good ppl & bad but when it comes to money they will almost all screw you over in a second especially now a days if they can. My adapted approach is simple: I treat ppl like cattle; I keep all of the good ones and I cull all the bad ones out of the herd because they make me no or lil money and aren't worth the aggravation.

Being in business I have always found that I have never really had too many friends. It seems that I could not afford them.....which of course means that they were not very good friends. I do have one fishing buddy who is a true friend and you can always tell because they are always there when you need them and they never ask for anything.....you know if he were to ever run off with my wife, I sure would miss him. LMAO!

I hate you had to pay it but lesson learned and move forward. Ya just can't trust some fisherman especially when they look you dead in the eye and say "Oh I'll take care of that no worries!". LoL.

Last edited by Ranger Guy; 03-28-12 at 03:20 PM.
Ranger Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 06:16 PM   #3
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That really sucks man. But, what happens next year when you get the tax bill?
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 08:05 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

GREAT QUESTION ANDY!!!! if it were me, i would be getting ahold of this "gentleman" and ask about this. or at least ask the folks where oyu pay the taxes.
Old 03-28-12, 08:18 PM   #5
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Once you notify the proper agency of a transfer taxes are then the problem of current owner unless taxes were for the time prior.
I once got a tax bill for 2003 for a house I sold in 2002,told them where they could collect their taxes and late fees,and didnt pay them myself as not mine.
Suspect they were your taxes,and he either didnt want to pay them or payed taxes that were his as new boat (to you)generally one has to pay taxes and may have even thought had cleared you.Other wise would have to pay them twice,once for him once for you.
Im lucky in this state Tn we pay but once when we buy it and or regester.
Speaking for myself I would not pay mine and yours,but would tell you so up front.
I pay enough taxes lol but no state income tax thank god,and just once on personal property like vehicles.
And in all fairness to the other guy have you ever tried paying someone elses taxes,it aint easy unless its a state if someone else does they then own it if late,yes w.va one can lose their home go past the deadline.

Last edited by lilmule; 03-28-12 at 08:23 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 10:21 PM   #6
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Well I have talked to the person in question, and he did say he thought he paid the trailer taxes, he handed the clerk the tax notice, and thought he paid the tax, so he will check his paper work. (While I was at the courthouse, they did say the boat and trailer is in his name, so no taxes next year for me.) He is a person my father knows from the mall. Once my father was at home, I called him back, asking was everything okay between him and the other person? My father said for me not to worry about it, if this person has a problem, it's his problem, not a big deal. Just go on and forget about it. So if this person contacts me saying his paper work shows he paid the tax, then we will go to the courthouse and check on it. Other then that, it's over and done with, the boat and trailer is in his name, so it's water under the bridge now.
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.