Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-16-13, 01:23 AM   #1
Hoosier
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Gear oil help anyone?

I just changed the oil in my lower unit for the first time on my own. I watched a few videos and think i got it right. The pump i have did not have a fitting for my motor(what are the odds) i had to use the upper hole to fill until it leaked freely from the top. My question is? is this what the oil is suppose to look like? It had no metal and here is the pic of my oil. Is this what its suppose to look like.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-13, 06:41 AM   #2
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

thats the way it is suppose to look. when it is milky looking then you have a problem
Old 04-16-13, 07:38 AM   #3
lilmule

Yup that and it leaked freely from upper hole not prior from anywhere else.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-13, 07:57 AM   #4
bassboogieman

My understanding is the gear oil must be added from the bottom hole to purge all the air from the gear case. Filling from the top hole may trap air and prevent you from getting a full load of oil in the case. I would check it immediately after running it and see if it will take more - then get yourself a proper fitting and fill it correctly to avoid any issues. A fitting is far cheaper than having problems with you lower unit because of insufficient lubrication.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-13, 11:00 AM   #5
Hoosier

The weird thing is it fits the upper plug but not the lower I may call a machine shop and have one made
Old 04-16-13, 06:35 PM   #6
merc1997

you need to fill from the bottom hole. it is the only way to ensure a complete fill. plus, in filling from the bottom, it pushes out the air as it fills. when doing this procedure yourself, it is better to get the lower unit lube in squeeze tubes. then, you simply cut the tip off the tube, insert into the bottom hole and squeeze. when the lower unit is full, the oil will begin to come out of the top hole. let some excess come out because you are also pushing out any of the old oil left. insert bottom plug and then the top, and you will be ready to go.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-13, 07:21 PM   #7
bassboogieman

Quote:
insert bottom plug and then the top,
After filling leave you fill tube, or lube tube in the bottom hole and install the top plug, you will not lose much (if any oil) out the bottom hole as it will draw a vacuum and slow the drain of oil from the bottom hole to nearly nothing. Then remove your fill tube or lube tube from the bottom hole and insert the bottom plug.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-13, 02:51 AM   #8
Hoosier

Took your advice and went and got the correct fitting this morning and filled as suggested. Can't wait to hit the lakes tommorow.
Old 04-28-13, 09:53 PM   #9
lilmule

I buy mine in a plastic bottle that has a tip one cuts off no fitting necessary,and same thing works for tilt n trim bottom hole with top open,close top then bottom.If you dont have one just save an old gear oil container,built just like a caulking tube stick in and seals it well then squeeze.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 09:04 PM   #10
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i bought one of those cheap lil pumps and did mine. mechanis told me to use ONLY the mercury oil, even though i run a johnson. he said it was the best. so i did.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.