Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-28-06, 04:09 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Hey Guys, I need your valued input on an idea

I have been thinking of what I am about to tell you for some time and I want to share it with you to see what all of you think.

The idea started last summer as I was pier fishing for pink salmon and every once in a while, I’d see or hear the accidental dropping of a rod/reel falling into the salt water drink. I even know of someone losing a Shimano Calcutta!

Then, this past winter, someone who just bought the new curado and mated to a Loomis GL3 or IMX steelhead rod was fishing. In a moment of inattention, a fish not only took down his offering, but also pulled his new reel and rod under, never to be seen again. That’s well over $350.00 down the drain or should I say river!

What really brought it to a head was fishing with my 6-year-old daughter this past Sunday. I was nervous of her accidentally dropping or throwing and letting go of the rod and reel, or a swimmer knocking it out of her hands and bye-bye BSF Curado and rod.

So necessity, being the mother of invention, helped me to devise a make shift solution. I was ready to build it from scratch until I saw already made components that could serve as my prototype.

Here in the picture below from right to left is a strap with Velcro called a Wrap It Up, a mini carabiner, and a round shoelace.

I attached the carabiner to the Wrap It Up, and then made a loop with one end of the shoelace and latched it to the carabiner. Then, I tied the other end of the lace to the reel foot and put the reel on the rod.

My initial worries of the slack line getting tangled with the rod or reel were soon dissipated. The lace does not seem to hinder holding the rod or going through the motions of casting.

From another angle

Holding the rod.

The positives are:

1) You will never accidentally drop your rig into the water while using it
2) You won’t ever have to worry about your clumsy relative(s) or buddies dropping your precious rigs either
3) Detaching your arm from the “Rig Saver” (so I dub it) is easily done on the fly by freeing yourself by working the carabiner and reattaching is equally easy to do
4) Under very cold conditions, it will come in handy when you can no longer feel your fingers and can no longer hold your rig.

My daughter tried it and she liked it too. I guess I’ll need to make a pink version for her.

Anyway, I would like to get your input on this idea. Yay? Nay? Is this a practical solution? Would it work for your young ones? Any and all input is very much welcome.

I realize that no self-respecting bass angler would want to use one, but its purpose is to help kids and other clumsy folk and others who fish in situations like tall piers or deep water where jumping into the drink would risk your life.

In closing, I am NOT selling anything. After what I just posted, heck, you can make one yourself. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Islandbass
Old 06-28-06, 09:45 AM   #2
m cress
BassFishin.Com Active Member

neccessity is the mother of invention. All great products remedy a real problem. Looks good, good idea. Patent application?
m cress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 10:08 AM   #3
Mac1

When using this for a child, is there any chance whatsoever the child could be pulled in? I think it's a good idea, but if someone uses it for fishing out of a boat, a child could be pulled in. May be better to fasten the velcro around a part of the pier or boat. Just thinking out loud, and think you have done well.....good fishing, Mac
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 10:29 AM   #4
NCYankee

Perhaps, a retractable cord would be better. As we all already know, there are some very thin ropes out there that are very strong - i.e. 50lb braid. The retractable spool could be very small.

All good ideas need to satisfy some need or frustration. Your idea does that. Maybe there is a market for your product.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 10:30 AM   #5
Bender

Looks good and a great idea! I wonder if you could use one of those coiled strings that spring out and attach it to your belt as well. I don't like things around my wrists so that would be an option that would work for others.
I think you should market it and sell it! Make a few bucks for your time and thoughts.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 10:34 AM   #6
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

my only concern is being pulled in by a big catfish, maybe a quick release option would be advised
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 10:35 AM   #7
ROBZILLA

If you sell it in hot pink I think Zook will buy them all up, seeing he is Mr. butter fingers.And I do recall last year he fell out of his boat. lol
Old 06-28-06, 11:23 AM   #8
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

nice!!!!i like it
Old 06-28-06, 01:44 PM   #9
flbassman

Thats sweet, especially when it's rainy, or your hands are sweaty. You could also use it for bait fishing, strap it on, lay back and chill out. *****/***** rating.
Old 06-28-06, 04:28 PM   #10
islandbass

Thanks for the excellent suggestions and feedback. You guys rock!

-ib
Old 06-28-06, 04:44 PM   #11
flamez

big fish like big bait attach her on the hook and tell her to watch out for them toothy critters youll nail the big one

on a side not JBs avatars get scarier and scarier
Old 06-28-06, 04:54 PM   #12
senko

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamez
big fish like big bait attach her on the hook and tell her to watch out for them toothy critters youll nail the big one

on a side not JBs avatars get scarier and scarier
gotta agree...
Old 06-28-06, 06:35 PM   #13
zooker

ib
the string goes around the reel feet??

yeah zilla i threw a good rod and reel away trying to stay in the boat.. remember two gorillas on a june bug fishing one on one leg running a troller..

you ever fish out of that hollowed log with some one my size?? did not think so..

zooker
Old 06-28-06, 06:38 PM   #14
Rebbasser

That's a great idea, Islandbass! I have a similar setup for the kill switch on my boat-used a racquetball racquet wrist tether, Works like a charm.

Zilla, I'd have paid to see that ballet dance Zooker did falling out of that boat !
Old 06-28-06, 07:58 PM   #15
lizardsrule

Very good idea. I think it would be a more practical idea for children. But obvioulsy lots of folks here would use it. I would not. It would be a distraction to me, and another item I don't need attached to me or my pole. I do agree it's a good idea, but it's not a product I would buy or use. However I'm a freak anyways, so market it. I do agree with Mac, probably a serious issue of having a child pulled in, by a fish or accident hooked on a log etc... Great thinking out of the box though.

Lizards
Old 06-28-06, 08:12 PM   #16
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
ib
the string goes around the reel feet??

yeah zilla i threw a good rod and reel away trying to stay in the boat.. remember two gorillas on a june bug fishing one on one leg running a troller..

you ever fish out of that hollowed log with some one my size?? did not think so..

zooker
Yes, I tied it around the reel foot. I have found on a bc reel you can even tie it to the rod. I think on spinning reels, which I haven't tried, I will place it between the rod and the reel foot. Gravity might work against you if you tie it as I did on a bc reel.

Thanks again. I am grateful the other things that I didn't consider like the kids getting pulled in and latching to some other place.

-ib
Old 06-28-06, 08:37 PM   #17
JB

zooker

zooker, yer size anit no different then all these corn fed farmboys around these here parts, yer a dime a dozen
heres a picture of my little brother the weekend he invited his farm buddy
""pickles"" over to have a swim,
I'm telling ya , oHIo is all f/n corn fields and the kinfolk likes to eat it!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 08:48 PM   #18
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass
I even know of someone losing a Shimano Calcutta!

Then, this past winter, someone who just bought the new curado and mated to a Loomis GL3 or IMX steelhead rod was fishing. In a moment of inattention, a fish not only took down his offering, but also pulled his new reel and rod under, never to be seen again. That’s well over $350.00 down the drain or should I say river!
I must try to find sympathy for the ones who lost so much money, but all I can think is it must be the mother natures way of taking out the trash ? Sorry, I couldn't resist the temptation. On a more serious note.That is a heck of an idea, I am wondering if the velcro will hold the force of a Salmon pulling on the other end of the line ?I would do some testing prior to fishing it, but then again, its better than nothing.I would use like 80 lb braid instead of the shoe lace, but I would test it using a spring scale to see how much resistance it can withstand.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 08:59 PM   #19
Brownstown bassman
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey I love the idea. About a month ago I dropped my brand new all-star rod and Quantum PTI into about 15 ft of 60 degree water. After diving in for the $300 combo i was wishing I had something like this! Great idea, I think there could be a market for this.
Brownstown bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 09:47 PM   #20
zooker

thats it!!! they make a thing like this for off shore anglers called a pier leash.-i aint joking that is it's name-almost the same set up.. not sure the cost i remember seeing a guy use one at the sportmans pier at carolina beach...

ib
check your local saltwater tackle retailer..

zooker
Old 06-28-06, 09:53 PM   #21
islandbass

Hey guys, I found the old post and I got some things mixed up but the fact of lost rods is true.

Another Calcutta was lost on a GL3 Loomis in the Kalama River and the Curado D was mated to a Featha Styx rod on the Duc River. Either way, that's a lot of $$$$$$ down the drain!!!!
Old 07-01-06, 07:31 PM   #22
Bo Dale James Jr.

What's up with the Chloraseptic? Have you also been testing the effects of hooks on your throat? I think it is a great idea! I just bought a small boat to use up at a small lake where electric motors are the rule. I think I will try a rig like that to avoid the occasional swimming for the rod.
Old 07-02-06, 10:23 AM   #23
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Dale James Jr.
What's up with the Chloraseptic? Have you also been testing the effects of hooks on your throat? I think it is a great idea! I just bought a small boat to use up at a small lake where electric motors are the rule. I think I will try a rig like that to avoid the occasional swimming for the rod.
I hope you do! Here is the $$ breakdown:

Wrapit is up band $0.99 ( I got it at a local outdoor/fishing store)
Pair of round shoelace strings $0.87 (WalMart)
Caribiner $0.99 (I think for a pair of small ones also from WalMart in the Camping section. They are also surprisingly light)

Saving your valued rig from the drink, Priceless!

I am working on possible breakaway methods in the meantime.

-ib
Old 07-02-06, 02:57 PM   #24
Christopherkeene9

Excellent Idea. We use something similar offshore except it attatched (sp?) to the boat so a big WAHOO doesn't pull it out of the holder and into the big blue!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 08:46 AM   #25
FlyRod

Not a bad idea at all. Be sure to rehearse her on quickly unzippin' the Velcro(TM) in the unlikely event she's about to be yanked o'board. That's a pretty unlikely event unless, perhaps while trolling, her line wraps around the prop or a passing boat snags her line.
Long years ago, when we were still using fiberglass rods and heavy Ambassadeur reels, our hands would get so stiff and sore that we'd occasionally lose our grip on the rod. This was especially so for some who, like me, don't change hands post-cast/pre-crank. A few hours of hurling heavy spinnerbaits or retrieving big deepdivers could really take a toll.
Besides the risk of rod 'n reel loss, some of us actually got blisters!
Solutions: We wore golf gloves, the type with open fingertips, and rigged a system similar to the one our friend here has shared with us.
We didn't have Velcro but used a loop around our wrists to secure the rig.
Thank God for lightweight rods and reels, but a period of walkin' a Spook can still give me fits.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.