Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-06, 11:45 PM   #1
ironman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ironman
Wink new fish finder

i just got my first fish \ depth finder and what do you look for in the water that is really good for fishing i think i have heard like holes and drop offs are good but i dont know what should i look for
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 01:54 AM   #2
vagabond
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm not an expert but we look for change in the bottom. Hills, holes, cliffs...anything that is different from the rest. Plus it's nice to know the depth of the water you're in sometimes.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 01:59 AM   #3
BassMoJo

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo
Arrow

Yea man look for drop offs and stuff like that .. but also keep an eye out for downed trees lilly pads ...weeds etc.. try to get as close to them as possible or even in them if u have ur stuff set up right !
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 11:20 AM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

iron man
what kind did ya get? what cone angle?
i normally set mine -up front- to see basic depth. my front depth finder also shows water temp and voltage.the depth you are fishing is important a lot of the time. it will show drop offs and ledges. very rare does it show stumps-they show up as solid bottom struture-it on occasion shows fish. i have it set so it anit looking for fish.. depth finders tend to lie when it hits a school of bait. it shows a bunch of fish in a group. this is bait, any single fish marked if possable under the bait by more than a few feet is the predator fish..

look carefully right behind the temp reading. that is suspended bait fish.. the fish near the bottom are likly small cat fish.

zooker
Old 07-03-06, 11:25 AM   #5
ironman

i got a eagle cuda-168 i dont even know if it is good but iif their is like a drop off in the middle of the lake is it even worth trying because i dont even know if their is even fish in the midd le i trhought they are near the banks and the other thing i was woundering is if you see a fish on the fish finderid possible that their is not a fish should i just fish at the drop offs that it shows their is fish at
Old 07-03-06, 11:40 AM   #6
zooker

a depth finder alone is not going to insantly put fish in the boat..here is what it does do. if your fishing a line of lay downs or even docks. here is what i do.#1 set the hook #2 eye ball the depthfinder#3 note depth#4 lip fish#5 release fish.#6 move to next struture. 90% of the time if you catch fish at several docks/trees that are roughly the same depth you can go to a differant area on the same lake and catch fish off struture as long as the water depth is roughly the same.. the key to the eagle 168-great choice by the way- is to turn the sensativaty down.. it won't show the fish as much but it will show the bottom in decent detail.. it takes time looking at a depth finder to learn what all the struture you see means..if you mark bait look around -by moving the boat- to see why the bait is there.. bait does not just go some where it is there for a reason..shad tend to hold off some kind of struture be it a hump,ledge,channle area..
look at the picture of my depth finder again i am sitting on the edge of a deep flat just off a main lake point..the point drops almost straight off..

the yellow line is the first drop off from 3 feet to 8 feet. the red circle is a boulder. the blue X's are stumps..

zooker
Old 07-03-06, 12:23 PM   #7
ironman

on your depth finder above it just looks like it is flat how do you tell that is is not
Old 07-03-06, 01:49 PM   #8
Rebbasser

Go over a hump or dropoff and you will see the change in depth.
Old 07-03-06, 03:49 PM   #9
zooker

easy 30 feet away it drops to the old creek channel in 80 feet of water..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.