Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-25-08, 11:25 AM   #1
Jd4lfe
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 15 HP Mariner... Approx. 15 hrs

Hey everyone... I just went to look at a 14ft aluminum boat. The motor he has is a 15 HP Mariner. The guy is asking $1500 for boat/trailer/motor.
Its a nice boat. The guy doesnt know the year of the boat, and he doesnt really remember when he bought the motor( he bought it new ) I would say its probably about 10 years old. Afriend of mine said that if the boat ahs a plug, it shouldnt be more then 20 yrs old ? i dont know how true that is, but this boat did have a plug. The only hang up is he has NEVER winterized the motor. He leaves it on the boat all year round.
Now with that being said. The motor looks brand NEW... he took the cover off and there was no signs of oil or anything that shouldnt be there.
he has had the boat out once or twice this year i think he said and when he started it for me, it fired ( VERY EASY ) on the first pull.... gave it some throttle and she ran ( to my knowledge ) like a top !!!!!! I couldnt hear or see anything out of the ordinary ! He estimated about 15 hrs on the motor. I havent had a water test butI think the motor is in really good condition. He just changed the bottom end oil too !!!

I dont know guys ... what do you think ????
Jd4lfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 11:29 AM   #2
robertmee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

At the very least, run a compression check on the motor. It can run fine out of water, but under load, be a pig. Also, while probably not the intent, a 'recent' change of lower end lube could be to clever way to cover up issues there. If it were me, I'd run it on the water to check for how the engine runs under load, then pull the lower end lube plug and check the oil for water or metal.
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 11:52 AM   #3
Jd4lfe
BassFishin.Com Member

As far as the oil change goes... he was told that its spose to be done every so many hours and he hadnt done it at all.
He said when he pulled the oil out it was clean and no water or anything in it ?
Old 08-26-08, 05:49 AM   #4
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If that motor runs ok on the water dont be afraid of it. I have run several of those exact engines and they are tough as nails. Only thing I didnt like was that darn shifting lever. I broke it twice in 1 month. Anyways 1500 is a darn good price but of course you want to start low if you want it. offer 1250 and have the cash on hand. If he bites give him the money and on the way home stop at the tackle shop and buy 250 worth of gear. LOL tThats what I would do.
Old 08-26-08, 08:32 AM   #5
Jd4lfe
BassFishin.Com Member

Im goin tonight to take it for a water test. Hopefully everything is Good !
If everything goes well, This is going to be a good winter Project !

How do you paint aluminum ?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.