Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-26-05, 08:39 PM   #1
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thumbs up How to use a jig and pig

Hi i have never used a jig and pig before i was wondering what type of cover you use it in and how you work it.
Old 10-26-05, 10:44 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Very versatile bait! A simple answer is wherever you would fish a Texas rig worm. I really like them around flooded timber. If I have a flooded treetop I throw over it and pull the jig back through. Most of the time the hit comes when it is falling, so dropping it over every branch can really pay off. Pitching them up against cover and letting them fall can genetate a lot of hits, too. You can also fish them like a worm-cast it out and use the kind of retrieve you use with a worm.

One thing I would highly recommend is a stiff rod and braided line. Makes it easier to pull a fish out of heavy cover and braid willl hold up better than mono in the real heavy stuff.

The colors I use the most is black/blue, watermelon, and green pumpkin with matching trailers.
Old 10-27-05, 06:37 AM   #3
JB

I have found that fishing the jig under water
is especially effective.....

hope that helps.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-05, 10:02 AM   #4
Joe_S.
BassFishin.Com Active Member

A couple of techniques I like to use.

I personally fish a jig and pig as a crayfish imitator only therefore I think to myself what the traits of a crayfish are. They crawl on the bottom and burrow under rocks or debris on the bottom of the lake.

When I make a cast I let the bait sink, you must always watch your line, a lot of times they will hit it on the initial fall and your line will either twitch, stop before it should, or start going sideways, when this happens reel up the slack and set the hook. If the bait makes it to the bottom I will wait about 3 or 4 seconds and then drag it about 6-8 inches (Right now he’s just cruising on the bottom), then pause, after 3-4 seconds drag again, and repeat this. Once I feel any obstruction, I pause then shake without dragging, I feel this simulates the crayfish trying to burrow under whatever obstacle it just bumped into. Then I give it 2 quick very short snaps, this would simulate the crayfish fleeing from a predator, then let it hit bottom and repeat the whole process. A lot of times right after the pause when you go to drag again it will feel heavy, set the hook. Hook sets are free, If you haven’t fished a jig a lot , it takes time before you can get a really good handle on determining fish bites from obstructions. Practice makes perfect and when in doubt set the hook.

That's for mostly open water hump style fishing and beating a bank. In cover I like to throw it in the nastiest stuff possible and shake it around then repeat casting to it (pretty much pick it to pieces.)

Don't ever think there is such a thing as to shallow, I use to cast to about a foot off shore till a guy on the back of my boat beat me bad, the fish were in that spot right on the bank, now I cast to were I'm pretty much hitting the shoreline.

Those are just a few of the ways I fish a jig that have been very successful for me. It’s always good to try new techniques whether you use any of the above or create your own, it’s good to experiment.
Old 10-27-05, 09:52 PM   #5
bass kicker

thank you for all the info on using the jig and pig i think that will help alot
Old 10-28-05, 09:21 PM   #6
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

First of all, I started using plastic trailers for the first time this year and will never go back to pork. The other thing I learned is that I get more bites by pushing the plastic chunk all the way up the hook. Even thought the flapper legs are partly buried in the skirt, the flair of the skirt on bottom, reveals a meaty chunk with wavy appendages. This is the primary action of the skirted jig/trailer regardless of whether the trailer is meat or plastic.

The other thing I've learned is that I like hard bottoms and rocks the most when using jigs. Maybe it's the craw-thing theory, but I believe it works the same way cranks work over hard bottoms --- it gets a cloud to rise and clicks when it hits hard objects.

Are rattles more effective? I make my own jigs and haven't found them to be less effective due to a lack of rattles. 3/8-1/2 oz jigs have been hit in the last three months by all sizes of bass (and one biga** pick that bit me off). Like Rebbasser said - use a good braid (ie. Power Pro) and keep the diameter low for the best action/feel. Joe coverd where to cast a jig very well and I definitely like casting to 6' or less and down hard steep drops and points.

Swinmming jigs can be very productive near vertical cover such as solitary stumps and past lay downs. Vertical drops, from pitching to branches in the water, using a small 1/8 oz. jig and Yamamoto double tail grub is the greatest way to work laydowns. Slow fall and weedless - ideal set up.

Always try them! They are a basic tool for bass around the country.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 06:51 AM   #7
1FASTLASER

BassKicker

Take the time to find some crawdads and watch them in the water. Always keep this in mind when fishin them. Yes there are variations but those come with time of fishin them. Fish em wherever bass are feeding close to the bottom or tight to cover and you really cant go wrong. The one thing you can do wrong is to get frustrated when you aint gettin bites. Step back look at the whole equation and figure out what you might be doing wrong and go at it again. Could be size of jig,speed or technique or where you are fishing it.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 07:51 AM   #8
skeeter944

ever heard of junk fishing? junk fishing is where you cast at any and all shoreline cover .i work the jig just like a texas rigged worm. practice keeping your lure close to the water for minimal splash which will spook less fish. for colors i stick with the basic black or brown. hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 08:26 AM   #9
pig n jig

Buy 2 flipping sticks, a thousand of colored and weighted jigs varying the brand of jig,4 thousand jig trailers, then throw every other rod and lure in your spare room except one rod, your best spinnerbait, and a handful of your favorite colored senko to use for those days when they won't bite a jig good.Also buy any stinky scent stuff and apply it to the jig and trailer like its about to go bad , but your trying to get the majority used up before it does go bad. That is exactly how I got started fishing a jig.I have never left home without it since.P N J

Last edited by pig n jig; 10-29-05 at 08:33 AM.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 09:42 AM   #10
KH.

i like yum's chunk trailer.i use it on spinnerbaits as well as jigs.if you use the pork and it folds over hook,you cant get a good hookset,but if you use the
chunk,it is plastic and the hook will pull through.it has the scent and its salt impregnagated or however you spell it.so use that,very good trailer,and the clwas wont rip off either
Old 10-29-05, 01:31 PM   #11
zooker

but jb i hear they are SO good bass will jump on them while in the air...

pnj though i rarly use a jig i have about 50 jigs couple dozen differant trailer colors/kinds. in fact i have and entire 3700 pro latch box full of them -remind me to bring it north next june...

zooker
Old 10-29-05, 04:52 PM   #12
LowDownSOB
BassFishin.Com Member

I think most fishermen don't give the jig an honest chance. I know I'm guilty of casting it out a few times and switching to a worm. I like to fish them every which way I can imagine. Hop, drag, pop it with a pause. I caught the 10.3 pounder seen as my avatar shallow while swimming a black and blue jig with a Yamamoto trailer. I really had to give the jig an honest try before I really had any confidence in using it. Try fishing it in the same areas you would fish / pitch a Texas rigged worm. Use your imagination and you'll see why may pro's regard it as their "go to bait".
Good luck

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.