Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-05, 07:28 PM   #1
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default florocarbon pros/cons

never used florocabon leaders before just wondering what type of fishing it is good for and it pro and cons are?
Old 10-25-05, 07:38 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

I just recently started using it, and which one you use seems to make a big difference. I started using Seguar Carbon Pro on the recommendation of a friend and really like it.

From my perspective,

Pros:
Invisible in water
Very little Stretch
Can get a good hookset

Cons:
It can be real stiff and has bad memory problems
Getting a good knot can sometimes be a challenge

Overall, though, I have been pleased with the results I get.
Old 10-25-05, 07:40 PM   #3
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Reb any tips for this stuff. Gonna try using this stuff this weekend in the river (saltwater).

Chris
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-05, 07:52 PM   #4
Rebbasser

Be sure to wet your knot when cinching it down and test it before throwing it in.
Old 10-26-05, 11:37 AM   #5
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

me personally i hate the stuff i cant get over how bad the memory gets. its just so hard to tie a knot with.
Old 10-26-05, 05:32 PM   #6
KH.

thats why you use a leader,use a short one,that way,they still wont see it and it have memory problems.it a hassle though,to retie the leader on
Old 10-26-05, 05:44 PM   #7
pig n jig

I personally think its got to be changed.It breals easy after it gets nicked, its difficult to tie a knot without weakening the strength of the line when cinching the knot down.The stuff holds the spool memory like no other line, and I hope you have better luck than I did when spooling it on a spinning reel.Its too pricey for the function. I will not tie a leader on, in my opinion, thats just another weak link to fail when you don't want it to. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-05, 06:02 PM   #8
zooker

i tend to agree with pnj it will break if nicked . it is stiffer than barbed wire.even if you use kvd line dressing.. no thanks i will stick with mono..

zooker
Old 10-26-05, 08:22 PM   #9
bass kicker

thanks for all the info on the florocarbon now i will think twice about spooling on the spining reel.

and use as a leader.
Old 10-26-05, 09:44 PM   #10
flachristopherkeene9

I know guys that just use it as a leader in the river (saltwater) because mr. redfish is the easiest fish to ever spook. Do one thing wrong and their go's the school. Even bait pumps will scare them off.

Chris
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-05, 02:05 AM   #11
islandbass

Other traits about FluoroCarbon:
1) Unlike mono or braid, it sinks
2) It is not affected by UV light as mono is

I use P-line's CX Premium, which is a flurocarbon coated mono. I get the benefits of practical invisiblity, UV protection and a smaller line diameter to boot relative to its monofilament equivalent.

In addition, it serves me (6-10#) for finessing and drop shotting with light to little cover.

When it comes to using different lines, I choose it for situations where they would excel over the others.
Old 10-27-05, 01:44 PM   #12
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

Pnj And Zooker Are Right Why Tie On A Leader Thats One More Thing That Can Go Wrong. If You Are Gonna Use It For Its Invisivility And You Use A Mono Leader That Sorta Defeats The Purpose. Why Buy The Milk When You Can Get It From The Cow.
Old 10-31-05, 06:15 PM   #13
lizardsrule

I use P-Line Flouroclear on PNJ's recommendation(and he don't like the stuff obviously) on my mojo rigs and c-rigs. It's a mono and Flouro combo. I like the hook setting strength(20lb test) and the abrasion resistance from the mono. I even have spooled up some of my baitcasters with it, and like it ok, nothing to brag about, but I will continue to use it as a leader on both of the above rigs. You have to have the knots anyway to work those rigs correctly, and I will also start to use it with my flukes/trick worms/anything tthat can give you line twist. Because if you are gonna tie on a swivel, you might as well use this stuff, it's better for hooksets, and if you just make sure you wet it, and cinch it down well, it will not give you any problems. It's also very good when working around sharp rocks or Zebra mussels due to the mon portion in it. Superlines(braid, fused), and Flourcarbon lines have a tendency to scrape up and get nicked, which causes them to break much easier than this stuff.

Lizards
Old 10-31-05, 07:06 PM   #14
pig n jig

Lizards, I didn't say I don't use it, I am saying its starting to rank right up there with a Shimano reel. You have to pay more than its worth to own it. P-Line Flouroclear is the best of both worlds, its got the strength of mono, but the low visibility factor of flourocarbon.It cost more money than regular mono, and Flourocarbon line is braid price or higher and its definately not worth the money.Braid will last years, flourocarbon doesn't seem to last long, half a season is just short of a miracle with the stuff, the P-line flouroclear will last all season as will the Yo zuri Hybrid line which is flourocarbon coated mono. I like the smoke colored Yo-Zuri line, it looks bright purple above water, but near invisible under. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-05, 11:04 PM   #15
KH.

i personally will stick with low visible trilene.affordable strong smooth casting what else can you ask for???

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.