Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 09-09-12, 09:47 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Potomac pics

As I said, not great fishing but we did get a couple.

My nephew with his snakehead, caught on a frog, Friday in Mattawoman Cr. Snakeheads are nasty, ill tempered and just a vicious fish. Awesome strike on the frog. This one was just under 5 pounds, but they are catching them up to 18 pounds, I can't imagine how hard one that size would hit a bait.

Friday bass on a frog in Mattawoman, only minutes after the snakehead.

Everstart blast off Saturday, even they had a bad day with the storm front comming through. Best bag for them was just over 12 pounds on Sat. This is at Smallwood State Park.

Saturday was brutal fishing but my nephew did get one decent fish in the boat.

Sunday - I include this pic to say I was very pleased with the towing capability of my Durango. No it's not as powerful as my HEMI powered Quad Cab, but it did a decent job. No problems on the ramp, did well towing on I-95, noticable drag on long inclines, but Dodge did a fantastic job with the new Pentastar 6 cylinder 290 HP engine. I managed 15.5 MPG with the transmisson in tow mode (no overdrive). I'm towing a 21' boat and I'm happy with it. This Durango set up is rated to tow 6200 pounds (I think that would be a bit much, but with the available HEMI it would haul azz)

Sunday morning at the ramp - HEAT IS GONE, gorgeous morning 61 degrees and CALM. Huge change from Saturday.

Sunday fishing was better, this one came on one of my bladed swimjigs in Mattawoman Cr. NOTE TO "Bamabassman" - check the hat, it changed my luck that day buddy. Yep I have it AND wear it! Thanks!

Nephew got in the act, he only boated one on Sunday. On a spinnerbait in Mattawoman Cr.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 09-09-12 at 11:31 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-12, 10:28 PM   #2
WatterBoy

Good report and pics, Bruce. Sorry you didn't have better luck.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 08:28 AM   #3
lilmule

Great day ,my durango did haul azz,even with the boat behind it a 374 ranger,transmission was the weak point.Uses Dakota frame or mine did.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 09:23 AM   #4
bassboogieman

The Durango is no longer a Dakota based vehicle. It was discontinued for a couple years, while undergoing a complete redesign under the guidence of Benz during the associaltion between Mercedes & Chrysler. Tested in Europe for a year before re-intoductin in America. The new Pentastar V-6 has received numerious positive reviews (including Consumer Reports), being touted as probably the best V-6 currently in production, certainly the best 6 cly ever produced by Chrysler. The "new" Durango has it's own distinct profile, no longer based on the truck frame.

I am extremely happy with it, the first non-truck vehicle I've bought in over 15 years and I highly recommend anyone considering a SUV-type of vehicle to give it a look and test drive. I did test drive the HEMI powered Durango - that thing is AWESOME, but considerably more expensive to purchase (and operate, especially with increasing gas prices) - as my long distance hauling and need for a full size truck has greatly dimished with my retirement.
Old 09-10-12, 07:23 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Enjoyed the photos and story Bruce. Have a ?. Do snakeheads have scales or are they more like a catfish? Also, are they slimey like a pike?
Old 09-10-12, 07:26 PM   #6
bamabassman

ALRIGHT BRUCE!!! glad ya'll had fun man. LOVE THE HAT!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!

glad the "rango" performed like oyu wanted it to as well. may have to check into em if and when we decided to get lisa a newer vehicle.
Old 09-10-12, 07:57 PM   #7
bassboogieman

Quote:
Enjoyed the photos and story Bruce. Have a ?. Do snakeheads have scales or are they more like a catfish? Also, are they slimey like a pike?
Yes Keith, snakeheads have scales. Everything else considered the color pattern is really beautiful, it's a shame it can't be made into a belt or hat band like a reptile skin. They are slippery, not a heavy slime like a pike, but they are slick - and very fast if you unhook one and drop it on the deck. Just like a snake it slithers rapidly over the side, they are amazing, in how fast they can be. Best thing to handle them with is a lip gripper, a hand hold is iffy and with the needle like teeth, getting fingers anywhere near the mouth should be avoided. Like I said, these "little" buggers are nasty but I shudder when I think of one 10 pounds or better. Keeping them out of the water for several minutes doesn't slow them down - they can absorb oxygen from the air via the air bladder and live for a few hours out of water. Nasty, tough, unstopable alien invader - Frankenfish is a good description.

On the Potomac they are a required kill if caught and you need a SHARP knife (the skin is kind of tough) to open the belly from throat to vent. Holding them over the side with the grippers to gut them is the way I kill them, leaving the hooks in them until I've opened them up, just in case the grippers slip or the dang fish flops around and causes me to drop it. Removing the hooks prior to killing may allow an escape should the fish struggle during hook removal and you drop it. I hear they are pretty good table fare, and I hoped to catch one Sunday and bring the filets home, but we didn't succeed in that goal.
Old 09-11-12, 12:25 AM   #8
nofearengineer

Enjoyable read, Bruce. Glad your Durango is working out so well. 15 mpg is pretty good. The 4.7 V8 I had in my Dakota only got about 12-13 towing my boat.

I am totally jealous you got out as you know I am fusterclucked right now. I extracted my bass rig tonight.....WHEW!

I can't wait to get a culinary review of your first snakehead release into Lake Crisco.
Old 09-11-12, 01:27 PM   #9
3dkicker

Great pics. I was out on Sat and it was a tough day of fishing. Only caught a couple small bass. Did catch one snakehead too. 7-10 lb range snakeheads are a lot of fun to catch and put up a very good fight. Too bad you didn't fillet that one and put it on ice.

Everstart winner John Hutchins is a friend. Met him years ago when he worked at Dick's. All of the top 10 had a tough day on Sat and struggled to put 10lbs in the boat.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.