Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 08-30-12, 11:05 PM   #1
MikeA57
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Went to Pickwick last Thursday

Played hookey last Thursday and went with my good buddy Lynn to Pickwick. We put in at Yellow Creek and fished out to the TN river and southward from there. We caught about a dozen from 2 to 4 lbs in the morning but once the sun got up good and the heat started to rise they just quit.

We could see swarms of shad swimming through the water yet nothing was attacking them. Anywhere we went we would see those black clouds swimming through the water and no fish were feeding on them. We could see the bass on the FF but they just weren't biting. It was crazy. We spent all day traveling from spot to spot and got no bites.

Finally, as the heat began subsiding we started getting some strikes and catching more fish. 2 - 3 lbs and as the afternoon wore on we caught about 16 more. We finally went back to one of the spots my buddy knew held fish. We'd fished it earlier but when we came back to it this time, the water was just rolling with activity. Although the fish hadn't been feeding all day, they sure were now! There were patches of bass in about a football field sized area just going crazy on the shad that were there. They'd roll the water then disappear and reappear a few yards away. We stayed there at least an hour until it got dark and they never did stop. We cast up in the middle of them and for the most part they just ignored whatever we threw. Carolina rigs, Pop-R's, shaky heads, Zara Spooks, Bandits, etc. We caught several more on the Pop-Rs and the Shaky Heads but compared to the number that were jumping on the shad it wasn't that many. They were singularly focused on the shad.

By the end of the day we ended up with about 36 caught. That's a lot more than I usually catch but for Lynn it was a slow day. (He's one of these guys that if he's not at the firehouse, he's on the lake. You can count on it. And he catches fish! Lots of them.)

I took a little video on my phone, sorry it's so shaky. I was trying to focus on one area where they were hitting the top while keeping my eyes peeled for other close areas I could film. Keep in mind the activity you see surrrounded us and it lasted for over an hour!

I'm not complaining, that's just the way fishing is, but I sure wish we could have caught more fish!!

Here's a link: http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...CKWICK%20TRIP/
MikeA57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-12, 12:11 AM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That's a sweet video, and a good day of fishing, sounds like. I'm headed up there in early October with some family and friends, along with that crazy guy from Alabama. 36 fish in a day would be awesome.
Old 08-31-12, 12:20 AM   #3
Jrob78

Cool video, looks exciting!
Old 08-31-12, 07:57 AM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

awesum! i am one of the ones goignt o pickwick with daniel. i have 1 pack of MONEY HOUNDS. timmy horton endoreses them and says this is the bait to use for bass hiting shad during fall. we'll see.....lol.
Old 08-31-12, 09:08 AM   #5
Bender

Sounds like a great day to me. Pickwick is my favorite lake down South. I had much better lick there than Guntersville and really want to go back in the fall sometime for some big smallies.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-12, 09:41 AM   #6
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
awesum! I am one of the ones goignt o pickwick with daniel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippiboy View Post
that's a sweet video, and a good day of fishing, sounds like. I'm headed up there in early october with some family and friends, along with that crazy guy from alabama. 36 fish in a day would be awesome.
:d............
Old 08-31-12, 09:53 AM   #7
keithdog

I enjoyed the video. It is the same activity I often see on a lake I fish most often. In past years, when they were busting shad on the surface like that, an Xcaliber 3" popper, a Spook and a soft jerkbait all would work very well. However, this year, I am having a lot of trouble getting any response from what I'm throwing. It's very odd.
Old 09-01-12, 02:07 AM   #8
bamabassman

i saw that daniel, hehehe.
Old 09-07-12, 08:27 PM   #9
Bassin' Gal
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have a sister with a house on Pickwick. I don't know why, but we have never made it down there. I think I see a trip in our future!! 36 fish a day would seem like heaven to me! Congrats.
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-12, 03:52 PM   #10
lilmule

Ill be down there at JP Coleman in about a month if everything works out right,but wont have that option of staying on the water till dusk,6-3 ABA aft div 40.
Was on the water here yesterday when the front moved thru,heavy wind rain,weighed in 3,6.58lbs wet(after about 5 hrs my rainsuit isnt well protective) even cold at times but beats staying at home.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.