Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-12-07, 05:00 PM   #1
ohio_bass_fisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ohio_bass_fisher
Default buying a new setup.

hey everyone, i am going to bass pro this weekend to buy a new rod and reel, i have decided that i am going to buy a st croix 6'6 mh avid series rod.. but i am having a hard time choosing a reel. i was thinking of going with a shimano sadona series. but im not sure, i do most of my bass fishing at night and early morning. i use all sorts of lures mostly jigs worms and small crankbaits,, but i use top water alot scum fogs jitter bugs, what would be a good real. i intend on spending a100 dollars on a new reel
ohio_bass_fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 07:10 PM   #2
greentrout
BassFishin.Com Member

i have a couple of pflueger trions for 99.99 for each one and have been very happy with both 'em. also, i recently purchased the cabela's prodigy when it was made by pinnacle and, again, very happy. cabelas just changed the manufacturer to daiwa and a good review of reel is in this month's tackle tour. the reel goes for 99.99. another thing, a lot fishermen will tell you they have a fast reel at 6:2:1 OR 6:3:1 and and so on. but the important thing, imho, is to have a reel that brings in at least 26 inches per handle turn to work lures like buzzbaits and move the bass, fast, away form cover and the like. reels to fishermen can be like cars, every one has an opinion. each to his own. i like mine and good fishing.
greentrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 08:42 PM   #3
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_bass_fisher View Post
hey everyone, i am going to bass pro this weekend to buy a new rod and reel, i have decided that i am going to buy a st croix 6'6 mh avid series rod.. but i am having a hard time choosing a reel. i was thinking of going with a shimano sadona series. but im not sure, i do most of my bass fishing at night and early morning. i use all sorts of lures mostly jigs worms and small crankbaits,, but i use top water alot scum fogs jitter bugs, what would be a good real. i intend on spending a100 dollars on a new reel
Well if you mean "SEDONA", then that's a spinning reel, and then obviously you want to match it up with that wonderful choice or rods you have already decided on. The Avid is a superior rod, and I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. As for reels, well I wouldn't spend $100 on any spinning reel again. I have, and to me as long as it has a good drag, the rest is pretty much just pomp. I use the larger sizes 4000/400/40 sizes mostly with the bigger spools, but it will add a little weight to it. It does however hold much more line, which means less time restringing, and more time fishing. Plus I think it also has a quicker line retrieve due to the bigger spool. But I use Quantum mostly for spinning, just because I bought 6 of them on sale for $39.99(Quantum Pulse 40). But any reel will work, just don't put a baitcaster on a spinning rod rotfl.

Lizards
Old 04-12-07, 10:50 PM   #4
ohio_bass_fisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ohio_bass_fisher

lol yeah i bought my dad a rod from bp and i bought a baitcaster rod and he has a spinning reel lol... he never letr that one go
ohio_bass_fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-07, 12:23 AM   #5
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Take the rod with you and test out a couple reels. I've used Quantum, Shimano, and Abu Garcia and still use all three brands. Make sure you pick a reel that meets the type of fishing you are going to do. For example (I posted this info on the Frog Rod/Reel post) I use a Shimano Sahara reel because of the amount of line it picks up per revolution (an extra couple of inches) and I do a lot of river fishing. To me it helps catch up to moving fish quicker and I feel I get better hook sets. I use the 2000 series because it's smaller and lighter compared to the 4000 and feels more comfortable to me. Check out how much line the spools hold, the amount of line it picks up, the size line it should be matched with and go from there.
Next thing you know your head will be spinning and just ask the sales guy which one you should get......he'll pick the most expensive one!
Old 04-13-07, 06:43 PM   #6
greentrout
BassFishin.Com Member

Ooops, should have read the post a little better--got a little egg on my face with that post. i assumed you were talking about a baitcaster. but, nonetheless, the principle applies to spinning gear as well. mr 3d puts it better than i on both of his posts. the drawback to high speed reels is when you crankbait in deep water, you should, imho, use a lower geared reel. the high speed can flat wear you out. good luck and good fishing to all.
greentrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-07, 01:12 AM   #7
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_bass_fisher View Post
OBF,

You say "small cranks". Do you also throw small topwaters, such as the Tiny Torpedo, Pop R, etc, and soft plastics with 1/16 oz weights? If so, the Avid MH might pose problems.
The St. Croix rods are known for being underated so far as power is concerned. A St. C. MH will be more like most manufacturers' Heavy rods...stiffer than you might think.
You really ought to cast BOTH a Medium and MH BEFORE you buy. You may find that the M will allow you to cast your lighter stuff much more effectively.
Asking a rod to cover a wide range of weights AND aerodynamics usually results in dissatisfaction. While your Jitterbugs and large scum frogs may sail nicely, the Tiny Torpedos and Pop Rs may not achieve the distances required. Trying to "force" the cast will usually harm accuracy as well and often results in backlashes (I know you are buying a spin rig, though.)
Also, trying to work a small TW with a too-stiff rod will usually fail, and can also result in missed strikes and hook pull-outs.
Further, using heavier lines, as are generally needed for "scum" fishing, will harm the casting and performance of your lighter TWs and cranks.
There is not, nor will there ever be, one rod that does it all, but a true Medium comes closest to being such.
Are you planning to use fluorocarbon line? If so, then topwater performance, especially with the little prop and pop baits, will suffer. The sinking quality of fluoro will adversely affect them. The same might be said in the case of the frogs.
The right tool for the right job!

FlyRod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-07, 01:24 AM   #8
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

all these guys have laid it out for you but the overall decision is yours. just remember that it is your pick and not ours. just think of us as high tech consultants lol jk

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.