Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-17-06, 01:29 PM   #1
Bill Couch
BassFishin.Com Member

Default New Guy With Questions.

Hey first post here with a couple of questions. Bought a Triton 170Mag in April with a 90Yam 2 stroke on it. Love the boat, have been fishing for over 30yrs but never owned a reel bass boat with factory decks and such. One problem is getting the area under deck to dry. Second is the motor is mounted all the way down and bolts are in the top holes. When running I get some spray or tail that creates a v behind boat. Is that normal? I had a plain alumacraft that I put a jack plate on and worked great. Just wondering since it was rigged by the factory should I raise the motor? Will it make any difference in fuel economy or top speed? Or do I need a jack plate? Boat runs fine and handles well the way it is, if I wouldn't be gaining much I'll leave it the way it is. I had 45mph at 5500 rpm, don't know if that is good or bad. Thanks in advance, Bill.
Bill Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 02:04 PM   #2
Vabass22
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sounds like a great boat, don't quote me, but I've heard that raising the motor lowers fuel economy. Hope that helps.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 03:25 PM   #3
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i would leave it the way it is..you won't get much more out of that 90.not enough to justify spending all that money on a jack plate....
Old 08-21-06, 10:14 AM   #4
Bill Couch
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys will do, just leave it be.
Old 08-21-06, 10:42 AM   #5
HOG Ranger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintom View Post
i would leave it the way it is..you won't get much more out of that 90.not enough to justify spending all that money on a jack plate....
I agree with Tom and that "V spray" is normal when the motor is trimmed and your on pad.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-06, 05:59 PM   #6
bassintom

a cheap,easy way to make a little improvement on performance is to install a sting ray fin.other than that..leave it alone.
Old 08-21-06, 06:10 PM   #7
Fishie1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

on bass tech or something I saw one time with gerald that if it is spraying you are losing some speed.....they said you would want to lower it so its got a v but no spray?
Fishie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-06, 06:13 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintom View Post
I tend to disagree with toms statement. The 90 is capable of pushing that boat into the mid 50's and you need the jack plate to do it. I own a 90 and have been working on boats for years. The extra amount of spray that you are talking bought is scrubbing off your topend. Look to see if you have a transducer or something else that is sitting to low. That motor as you stated is sitting way to low if its flat on the transom. The center of the propshaft should be approx 2" below the pad and then work from there for optimim performance. I run mine 3/4" below pad but have the necessary mods to do it.
Old 08-22-06, 12:18 PM   #9
bassintom

laser,you know much more about performance than i do that's for sure..what i should have said was paying all that money for a jackplate to get 6 or 7 mph more is not worth it to me..thanks for bringing it to my attention.i wouldn't intentionally mislead someone.next time on the tech stuff i shall defer to you.
besides,my boat has a jackplate on it already...
Old 08-22-06, 07:25 PM   #10
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i would move it up to the bottom hole. the jack plate -imo- would be great. the more moter out of the water the faster it will go.. moving the moter up-using the holes- would get you about 3-5 mph gain.. yammaha have a rev limiter set at 6150 rpm the only thing you have to watch is the water pressure gauge..any thing under 12 pounds at wot is VERY BAD!!! i would also check out power tech props -www.powertech.com- i totally recomend them as i own there props.. if your running aluminum use the same pitch. props are a win/lose thing the more pitch the faster it will go. but you will lose hole shot. the lower the pitch the better the hole shot the slower at wot it will go..you want something middle the road..

trust me bill i have over 1000 hours on my yammer. aint had no major problems ever..-had the starter vibrate loose-

tom g-rides also come stock with 12-14" of set back..

zooker
Old 08-22-06, 10:26 PM   #11
Bill Couch
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Thanks Guys

After reading Lasers post I went out and looked at how low the shaft was from the bottom of the boat. It was about 6 inches since the motor was mounted all the way down. I move the motor up to the third hole and will try it on Thursday. Didn't want to go to the last hole because it looked as if the intake would be borderline out of the water. Kinda hard to know whats going on back there since you can't see the hill from the cockpit.

Thanks a bunch, I post if I get any increase MPH.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.