Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 01-31-10, 03:00 PM   #1
brokentip
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Replacing PFD's

Been looking to buy new PFD's. BPS has the Mustang auto inflatable one. Cabelas has one called ths Guardian. Anyone here using either one of these, and how do you like them? The prices vary greatly but the descriptions are pretty close. Discounting the price difference which would be the better buy? not trying to be a cheap-skate but the price difference is considerable.
brokentip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 03:26 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I will not even think twice about skimping on a PFD. Given my history of extreme clumsiness, I'm going to get one of those auto-inflating ones that I can wear all the time...just in case. All I have to do now is reduce my girth enough so I can wear a readily-available size. Even then...at my height, I'm gonna look like I'm wearing a midriff top.
Old 01-31-10, 03:37 PM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have a Mustang Auto Inflate and really like it. I find that it is not hot in the summer and I even wear it all day sometimes in tournaments when you are only required to wear it when the big motor is running. I got mine on sale but I do wish I had gotten the one step up with the hydrostatic inflation device. At the end of last year mine didn't inflate but the service required indicator came on and it needed rearmed. I think it was from sitting in the rod locker or rain where it got wet a couple times. I just got the kit which was $30 at BPS.

I really do find myself wearing it a lot more often than the old style since it is so much easier and less cumbersome.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 03:45 PM   #4
bcklash

We have the Sospenders auto inflate, when we are on the Bass boat I wear it all day long. I forget I got it on.

BPS is having their spring fling in March and April, some should be on sale.
Old 01-31-10, 05:31 PM   #5
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I was out doing a little fishing and got a warning ticket for not having a life jacket on. In nc you don't have to have one on or even out of the storage box. Come to find out the auto inflate type only counts when its on.

I always wear it when I'm moving just not while I'm stopped fishing.
The officer said must be worn always if it is auto inflate.
Old 01-31-10, 06:06 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinNC View Post
The officer said must be worn always if it is auto inflate.
I would LOVE to hear someone explain how that makes sense.
Old 01-31-10, 06:10 PM   #7
bassinbob

Will any of them fit a 56-58 inch chest? I have theverst type and it fits like a bib. Pretty cumbersome to fish with. Sorry to hi-jack the thread.
Old 01-31-10, 10:11 PM   #8
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I would LOVE to hear someone explain how that makes sense.

This is simple to understand.. OK if you are wearing it then it is a life jacket. If you take it off it is not and does not count as one on your boat. Since it may require manual inflation it is not considered a throwable PFD either.

Also auto-inflates will go off if stored in the boat. Best rule of boating is to have an extra two foam type PFD's on board in addition to the inflatible.

Think of this you get knocked overboard with an inflatible you will survive unless you are knocked out and the auto inflate does not work. With a foam type PFD there no chance of mal-funtion.

Capt Mike
Old 01-31-10, 11:32 PM   #9
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I agree 100% with captmike. What I want to know is how my foam pfd in the storage box is doing me any better than an inflatable one in the same box when I'm going 60mph down the lake and the steering cable breaks and I fly out getting knocked out?(This is how my grandfather almost died if not for another boater).
That's what I don't understand if I only have an inflatable in the boat it must be on at all times but if it is foam it can be locked up.
I wear one all the time when I'm alone. when I have a fishing partner in the boat I wear one unless I'm not moving and there is not a lot of traffic.
Old 02-01-10, 10:24 AM   #10
Captmikestarrett

In SMIB landia you are required to have the PFD on regardless of make or model on while the gas engine is running.

But as the boat getts bigger the less they enforce it.

Capt Mike
Old 02-01-10, 10:54 AM   #11
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinNC View Post
What I want to know is how my foam pfd in the storage box is doing me any better than an inflatable one in the same box when I'm going 60mph down the lake and the steering cable breaks and I fly out getting knocked out?
This was my point, Capt. Mike.

I think wearing your PFD all the time is a great idea (I don't always, but I am trying to improve my habits!). Like BassinNC, I just don't know why a foam PFD in my storage locker is better than an auto-inflate one in my locker.
Old 02-01-10, 01:58 PM   #12
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I will not even think twice about skimping on a PFD. Given my history of extreme clumsiness, I'm going to get one of those auto-inflating ones that I can wear all the time...just in case. All I have to do now is reduce my girth enough so I can wear a readily-available size. Even then...at my height, I'm gonna look like I'm wearing a midriff top.
Not necessary. Mike, what size does Henry wear?
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 06:05 PM   #13
Captmikestarrett

Henry wears a xxl Cabelas camo manual PFD.

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.