Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-10-09, 11:29 PM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default Fishing after fertilizer

Alright. My buddy called me this afternoon and said we are going to the hot spot Friday morning. We are going to try to get on the water about 5 and throw some 13s and super spooks for about an hour dark bite. The only problem is, they fertilized the lake Monday. He said they put a light dose in at the 2 creeks coming in to the lake. I reckon my question is though; what does fertilizer actual do to the fish. My guess would be it changes the PH levels, so it makes the fish a little grouchy and lazy. So what is y'alls take on fertilizing and the effects on Mr. Mean Green?
Old 06-11-09, 01:45 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i really don't know what it would do to the fish, i never really thought about it. i am interested to hear some opinions though.
Old 06-11-09, 04:30 AM   #3
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I recently read an article on this in one of my bass magazines and can't find or remember which one to save my life, but the article said that fertilizer and herbicide have no long term effects and little if no short term effects on bass behavior, but you touch that water with a pesticide and the bite will shut off immediately. So I guess I would say go about business as usual and if the the is slow or dead, move to a further away point from the dump sites.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 06:33 AM   #4
JB

Up here in corn valley usa when ever we have farmers fertilize and then it runs off into creeks and lakes after heavy rains, it always ends up in a big fish kill... In the southern states tho they do at times fertilize lakes.

To obtain high production of harvestable-sized fish from ponds and lakes, it is necessary that a good fertilization program be practiced each year. Application of fertilizer produces an abundance of plankton algae, aquatic worms, insect larvae and other aquatic organisms which serve as food for fish. In addition to increased production of fish, proper fertilization will also control most types of undesirable aquatic weeds and algae. Fertilizer does not keep fish from biting.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 11:25 AM   #5
Bubba_Bruiser

Thanks for the 411 fellas. I have always heard that it shuts them down for a couple of days. Might be an argument on "Mythbusters" hahahahahaha. Maybe this will change my confidence and leave me with one less excuse for why we didn't catch 'em.
Old 06-11-09, 09:57 PM   #6
bamabassman

bubba, i have always seen and heard that adding fertilizer actually HELPS a pond. makes them get bigger and better. an old man i used know as a kid (yep, stone age) would take triple 8 and go around his pnd every 3 months. and i am here to tell you had ALWAYS had 5-12 pounders in there. i could catch em around 6 pounds all day long outta that little lake. and everyone i ever talked to about it said the same thing. that it is good for a pond. FISH IT!
Old 06-11-09, 11:02 PM   #7
Bassboss

Oh no, this is never good, if you're talking about plant fertilizer, it can kill a lake! It makes the plant grow fast so they take in more water, one of the lakes my dad caught 2 15lbers in, 5 10lbers, and count less 5-8lbs in back in the 80's and 90's, had the same thing happened to it. Now it's barely a puddle, all due to fertilizers! If you know they guy that puts them in there, ask him to stop and tell him what it does to a lake!

Not sure what it'll do to the fish....
Old 06-12-09, 06:20 PM   #8
Basser326
BassFishin.Com Member

If im not mistaken, If they are putting fert in a pond, they are likely feeding the plankton and such that the lil' fish eat. I'm pretty sure it'll just make the bass fat and happy.
Basser326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 08:47 PM   #9
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Bassboss, its not that bad in a more northern state where weeds don't take over quickly.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-09, 03:36 AM   #10
Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basser326 View Post
If im not mistaken, If they are putting fert in a pond, they are likely feeding the plankton and such that the lil' fish eat. I'm pretty sure it'll just make the bass fat and happy.
Ding ding ding Tell him what he won Johnny. Just playing, I asked my buddy and he gave me the same repsonse. As you can see in my thread on the bragging board, it didn't hurt us too much.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.