Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-27-09, 01:32 PM   #1
GreenF350
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Southern River Technique?

Hey guys, didn't get out much this winter, but with the warmer weather I'm looking to get back out and do a bit better this year. I am a transplant from up north and I am used to fishing lakes for the largemouth. Down here I do a lot of fishing in rivers. Looking for some pointers since last year wasn't that great.

Medium sized rivers, about 10-20ft in the middle when it is straight.Relatively dark water and gets brackish the farther down ya go. Plenty of logs and branches and what not. Some of the locals have said black, crawdad colored worms Texas rigged. How should I be fishing these in the river? Everyone but me seems to have good luck on these. So far, I have the best luck on crankbaits (average of 1 fish an outing) hit me up with your thoughts.
-Aaron
GreenF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 04:27 PM   #2
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I fish rivers that are similar to what your saying. Even with the brackish water. I have the most luck using smaller baits even for big fish. I throw Bandit 100 and 200 cranks in a few different colors with Rootbeer being one of my favorite colors. I use Zoom Ultra Vibe Speed Craws and Babybrushhogs T-rigged with either a 3/16 or 1/4 oz. weight depending on wind and current. 1/4 oz. black buzzbaits work well for topwater and 1/4 oz. white/chartruse spinnerbaits work well for me. For plastic worms I like a 4" Berkley Power worm in Blue Fleck or Green Pumpkin Blue. Jigs I'll use a 3/16 oz. Baby Boo Booyah jig with a small plastic craw trailer. Black and blue mostly.
The main thing I've found is that smaller baits work better than the big baits you may use in a lake. Not always but most of the time for me. Run those small cranks around fallen trees and stumps and you should catch some fish! Hope this helps you! Good luck!

Last edited by BassAddict; 05-28-09 at 09:10 AM.
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 07:16 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

addict hit it right pal. i used to live in south bama. fished dog river in mobile. rabbit creek off of that river. my best luck came with 6" and 4" worms and lizards. also try shrimp style soft plastics. native baits work better in your area i think. greens, blacks and browns are good colors. black spinners are great too. zara spooks were alright.
Old 05-28-09, 05:16 AM   #4
GreenF350
BassFishin.Com Member

Sounds good to me. I guess I need to find a bit smaller worm. I've been using 6 inchers and a little bigger. Other than that the bait type is about what I have been using. Sounds like I might just need to work on presentation and whatnot. With the worms, should I be jugging the bottom or just a "swimming" retrieve? Thanks for the help.
-Aaron
GreenF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 09:17 AM   #5
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenF350 View Post
Sounds good to me. I guess I need to find a bit smaller worm. I've been using 6 inchers and a little bigger. Other than that the bait type is about what I have been using. Sounds like I might just need to work on presentation and whatnot. With the worms, should I be jugging the bottom or just a "swimming" retrieve? Thanks for the help.
-Aaron
I would do a combination of both. I will drag it, hop it, or swim it until they let me know what they want. Most of the time I'm flipping a specific piece of cover and don't have to move it a lot. If the current isn't real strong you may want to try an 1/8 oz. weight. I like to use the lightest weight I can get away with. Those Slider heads with a 4" finesse worm work real well too!
Old 05-28-09, 05:03 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ditto to bassaddict. great advice pal.
Old 06-04-09, 07:50 PM   #7
TRUMAN BASSER
BassFishin.Com Member

if your rivers are stained....black and blue swirl senkos....black and blue jigs...and a black buzzbait....fish anything that the fish can get around and out of the current. Throw your rebel crawls too. Not too many people throw them.
TRUMAN BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 01:53 AM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I don't do a whole lot of river fishing. But a guy told me about buzzbaits and spinnerbaits and removing the skirt and replacing it with white 3 or 4" grubs. We had some good success last year with this technique on any running water we fished.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.