Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-15-06, 09:02 PM   #1
Fishing4Soup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Looking into a baitcasting combo, need help

I just started fishing this year so i started out with my dad's old spin outfit and got a new one. I've been casting spinner baits that snap right off the line and i lost a lucky craft sammy working it with the spinning rod. I think i need to go to baitcasting for my heavier stuff. I fish a pond so nothings a really big lure so i dont need a really strong combo, one that's pretty good all-around.
Also, does it take a long time to get used to a baitcasting reel?
What combo do you think would be good for me and what line should i spool it with? I'll be fishing in ponds with the smaller versions of baits and will be using alot of cranks. The price range can be anywhere from 0-150 and i would like to buy it from either bass pro shops, gander mountain or cabelas. Thanks!
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 09:04 PM   #2
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

sounds like you just need some new line..or learn how to cast...maybe you're just not releasing the line at the right time.
Old 01-15-06, 09:25 PM   #3
Fishing4Soup

Maybe. Thats what my dad says too. Im not sure though because i tied on a terminator spinnerbait and when i brought the rod back to cast it was like a whip it bent so much and it shot the terminator across the pond...just not on the line. I use 6 lb test. Is that too small? I have some 8lb stren too but havent tried
Old 01-15-06, 09:54 PM   #4
jc24
BassFishin.Com Member

what kind of spinning rod are you using and what kind of rod cause it sounds like you using an ultra light set up if your rod tip is snaping that hard if you do want to get a baitcasting combo bass pro shop has an excelent deal on phluger combos and the reels are great

Last edited by jc24; 01-15-06 at 10:12 PM.
jc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 10:23 PM   #5
Fishing4Soup

ya i have the ugly stick lite with a pretty small mitchell spinning reel
Old 01-15-06, 10:32 PM   #6
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

Check out protackle.net emerald rods. I have 3 of those rods. If you need any help with them I can help you at nikieman123@aol.com. They are great rods for a low cost. They are extremely sensitive.
Old 01-15-06, 11:08 PM   #7
texasnitro

get a gander mtn tourny series rod. with a qunatom pt accurist. very good combo or if u want a lil better rod a gander mtn ultimant is what i have.
texasnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 11:31 PM   #8
bass kicker

abu garcia bionic blade baitcasting combo fro bass pro shops awsome combo

bait casting takes a while to get use to
Old 01-16-06, 12:27 AM   #9
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

also the bass pro shops extreme is a pretty good cobo for a good price.
Old 01-16-06, 12:46 AM   #10
KH.

3 thumbs up on the the abu,and pflueger bionic blade combos
Old 01-16-06, 12:47 AM   #11
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Slow down guys, he needs to change lines first. 6 lb. test is about as low as you would ever wanna' go and I wouldn't suggest it for a beginner. 10-14 lb. test is a good start. Are you tying a clinch knot? Stop! Palomar knots and uni-knots are what you need. Learn them! Tie them with or without spit (wetting a knot before securing it for stronger line ties is a myth). Don't even get a baitcaster, it has nothing to do with your lost lures. You need to practice some basics before graduating to the hell that is picking out a backlash.
Old 01-16-06, 12:50 AM   #12
KH.

ok know it all,maybe you need to slow down a little,wetting lines is proven to increase know strength.next time your fishing with fluro tie a knot without wetting it and pull,snap!!!then wet it and see how it holds.have a nice day
Old 01-16-06, 01:29 AM   #13
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

HAHAHAHAHA! Proven? By whom?

It's not my fault I became obsessed with bass fishing when Brian Kerchel won the classic and have read tons of books and articles on the matter. Let me search my library to get you the exact study done and when. I don't just pull this stuff outta' the air!
Old 01-16-06, 01:45 AM   #14
Bassgrl81

Send a message via AIM to Bassgrl81 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassgrl81

I have always wet the fluorocarbon line prior to making any knots as noted on the instructions. I fish with someone who ihas been on the tourney scene for the past 10 years in the Northeast and he does the same thing. Perosnally, I believe if a manufacturer suggests that you do something then you should especially since they have taken the time to test their product. On my package of Berkley Vanish in bold and Capital Letters it says: "THOROUGHLY WEST LINE".

Just my two cents,
Trista
Old 01-16-06, 10:47 AM   #15
Fishing4Soup

hmmm 10-14 lb line? Thats pretty heavy to use in a pond and my reel is pretty small....i'll give it a try
Old 01-16-06, 02:06 PM   #16
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Krueger, wetting the line does help on some monofilaments. Its not because of the heat created, but any nicks or stresses weaken a line. Sometimes I'm sure you've tied a knot and when you pulled it to it visibly abraded the line - thats what you are avoiding when you wet the line. Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way in fishing.
Old 01-16-06, 04:39 PM   #17
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I've never had any problems with nicking my line when tying a knot, nor have I noticed any abrasions. Maybe because I don't use Trilene.

The book that contained the study that I spoke of is currently checked out at my local library. It is due back the 24th. I will let you guys know the details when I get them. I'm sure it was monofilament that was tested since the book was published long ago.
Old 01-16-06, 09:45 PM   #18
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Published long ago? So in other words the infor is not current, and does not pertain to todays monofilament lines?

It doesn't matter, it doesnt hurt to wet the line and from what I've seen with my own eyes it can sometimes help, depending on how tight the line cinches down on itself when pulling to.
Old 01-16-06, 10:00 PM   #19
abugarcia6

at first baitcasting isnt the easiest thing to do...it took me a few days
but ive been fishin all my life
if u want a good starter bait for heavyer lures id go with the abu garcia 5000's...i started on it and abu garcia's are the best with heavy lures...in my opinion
Old 01-16-06, 10:05 PM   #20
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr.
HAHAHAHAHA! Proven? By whom?

It's not my fault I became obsessed with bass fishing when Brian Kerchel won the classic and have read tons of books and articles on the matter. Let me search my library to get you the exact study done and when. I don't just pull this stuff outta' the air!
That's whats wrong with you kids today. You talk a good talk from the book and never get out and pratice what you read. Talking is cheap, get out and learn it hands on. Brerk some sweat and and then talk about your experienceses.
Old 01-16-06, 11:07 PM   #21
bassintom

young 'uns...pay attention to the fossils on this board if you want to learn.we are not here for an arguement.most of us started bass fishing before you were even a twinkle in your dad's eye.
we learned the hard way,through experience.we are just trying to help you avoid some grief and expense.
if you don't want our advice just say so..and leave.let the ones that want to learn hang around,and if you know it all then you don't need us.
we post to help YOU!...
i could be doing better things if you don't appreciate it.
Old 01-16-06, 11:10 PM   #22
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I knew I would get people upset with that statement. I have been tying knots without wetting the line for over 6 yrs. now (although it has to be somewhat wet when I change lures on the water, which I sometimes do more than 50 times a day). When I say I'm obsessed with bass fishing I mean it literally. I would need to be a quadraplegic to do nothing but read about it. So having broken plenty of sweat, I will continue to talk about my experiences. I really don't care if you guys wanna' wet your lines, it doesn't take too much extra effort or anything.

WTL, the book is not from the 1800's. The wetting the line idea has been around since then. Shouldn't newer monos be better and therefore in need of less help making secure knots?
Old 01-16-06, 11:14 PM   #23
bassintom

obviously patrick you know more than the rest of us,after all you've been fishing 6 whole years...stop wasting our time,look elsewhere for an argument..thanks
Old 01-16-06, 11:27 PM   #24
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I've been fishing all my life, just stopped wetting the line 6 yrs. ago.

Always wet your lines before tying them, Tom. If we ever fish against each other you'll know you have that edge against me. Be sure not to make too much noise as well, it spooks the fish.

I was not looking to argue. I was telling fishing4soup that he didn't need a baitcaster. Can I explain myself when people disagree with my statements?
Old 01-17-06, 12:20 AM   #25
Unregistered

Bassentom is right. Keep you pie hole shut, keep your ears open and these seasoned expeirenced will teach you some things. If you don't want their advice then don't make it confusing for the other younger ones that do want to learn. Just be quite, Pleaes! You are talking way too much.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.