Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-17-06, 12:26 AM   #26
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Register, its free and only takes a minute, then complain.
Old 01-17-06, 02:44 AM   #27
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Krueger, I registered before almost anyone on this board. I take it I do have a right to complain. Even though I distrust the people who have not registered, I concur with the gentleman above when he said the following. . .

Quote:
That's whats wrong with you kids today. You talk a good talk from the book and never get out and pratice what you read. Talking is cheap, get out and learn it hands on. Brerk some sweat and and then talk about your experienceses.
Quote:
Bassentom is right. Keep you pie hole shut, keep your ears open and these seasoned expeirenced will teach you some things. If you don't want their advice then don't make it confusing for the other younger ones that do want to learn. Just be quite, Pleaes! You are talking way too much.
Old 01-17-06, 04:37 AM   #28
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing4Soup
hmmm 10-14 lb line? Thats pretty heavy to use in a pond and my reel is pretty small....i'll give it a try
If you chose 10# braid, its monofilament equivalent diameter is that of about 2# test. That is thinner than the diameter of the 6# mono you have.

I am inclined to thinking you need more of a line change as opposed to a new rig.

Baitcasters at your age would be a breeze to learn. I just started teaching my daughter last week with my curado and don't want to freak anyone out, but she is only six! She already knows how to use a spinning reel.

How long it would take is entirely up to the amount of quality time you put into this effort. Good luck.
Old 01-17-06, 11:25 AM   #29
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Aww, that's a cute kid! A Mickey Mouse pole has got nothing on that set-up.

To Fishing4Soup, if you haven't given up on this thread, you can see how adamant everyone is about line wetting. I am the only angler I know who doesn't do it. Everyone from Doug Hannon - the bass proffessor to Doug Stange - editor in chief of In-fisherman advises that you do. I hope you'll accept my apology for hijacking your thread, which you started in hopes of getting good advice. I had planned to start that debate on a different thread. There is some good advice though, such as islandbass's.
Old 01-17-06, 12:56 PM   #30
JB

Ya have to wonder how many mirrors this guy has in his room and how often he looks at himself, hourly.
Shouldn't you be working for NASA? Or rather, shouldn't you be out on a ledge?
Your wisdom(in your own mind) is truely above the levels of us simple anglers of BassFishing forums.
But, one has to wonder , do you work? Go to school? Ever even been with a woman?
You have characteristic of false pride; having an exaggerated sense of self-importance; "a conceited fool"; "an attitude of self-conceited arrogance"; "an egotistical disregard of others"; "so swollen by victory that he was unfit for normal duty"; "growing ever more swollen-headed and arbitrary"; "vain about your angling abilities.
conceit, egoism, egotism, narcissism, vanity
These nouns denote excessive high regard for yourself Patrick: boasting that reveals conceit; imperturbable egoism; arrogance and egotism that were obvious from your posts; narcissism that shut out everyone else.
In my opinion you would be well accepted into this forum by humbling yourself, offer your experience to the others that have not learned the fine art of bass fishing techniques, and later on in the year compete against us in the forum tournies...the scales don't lie.

Last edited by JB; 01-17-06 at 04:05 PM.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 02:06 PM   #31
Roppen Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
Ya have to wonder how many mirrors this guy has in his room and how often he looks at himself, hourly.
Shouldn't you be working for NASA? Or rather, shouldn't you be out on a ledge?
Your wisdom(in your own mind) is truley above the levels of us simple anglers of BassFishing forums.
But, one has to wonder , do you work? Go to school? Ever even been with a woman?
You have characteristic of false pride; having an exaggerated sense of self-importance; "a conceited fool"; "an attitude of self-conceited arrogance"; "an egotistical disregard of others"; "so swollen by victory that he was unfit for normal duty"; "growing ever more swollen-headed and arbitrary"; "vain about your angling abilities.
conceit, egoism, egotism, narcissism, vanity
These nouns denote excessive high regard for yourself Patrick: boasting that reveals conceit; imperturbable egoism; arrogance and egotism that were obvious from your posts; narcissism that shut out everyone else.
In my opinion you would be well accepted into this forum by humbling yourself, offer your experience to the others that have not learned the fine art of bass fishing techniques, and later on in the year compete against us in the forum tournies...the scales don't lie.
Never heard wisdom spoken so well. As they say here on the range. "Man that's a good A$$ kicking". Giddy up, gotta go.
Old 01-17-06, 04:15 PM   #32
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Humorous. I don't recall boasting. Your anger is undoubtedly due to your inability to refute my claim. You most likely learned to wet the line before tying from a knowledgable angler that you respect and trust. It seems that you have found my statement to be an insult to your abilities as a fisherman. That was not my intention. I trust science before conventional wisdom and it hasn't let me down yet. Don't stay mad guys, just outfish me.
Old 01-17-06, 04:26 PM   #33
WTL

Science? Lol, a book, published sometime ago at the local library says that somethings true - so it has to be true - after all, there was a "study".

All Hail Patrick Krueger. Instead of KVD however, you should make this guy your avatar...
Old 01-17-06, 04:38 PM   #34
Roppen Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL
Science? Lol, a book, published sometime ago at the local library says that somethings true - so it has to be true - after all, there was a "study".

All Hail Patrick Krueger. Instead of KVD however, you should make this guy your avatar...
More words of wisdom. "YAH HEE" Kick some "BOOTIE". Geddy up, gotta go.
Old 01-17-06, 05:00 PM   #35
Basspro wannabe
BassFishin.Com Member

Fishing4Soup it sounds like you have a couple of problems. First, I would say the line that is on your reel could be rotten and needs to be replaced. Second, some of the lures you are casting may not be made for the rod and reel setup you have. Look on the rod, just above the reel seat, there will be some writing on the rod that tells the rod length, rod action, and lure weights the rod was designed to cast.

If I were you I would look at buying another rod for heavy baits and use the rod you have to cast light baits. Good Luck
Basspro wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 06:25 PM   #36
bassinbob

Fish4Soup. You could try some light weight Power Pro. I'm not sure what weight would equal 6lb. test but you will be getting a lot more strength with the same diameter as 6lb. mono. Before I started using baitcasting I spooled up with Power Pro and loved it. A lot of theory has gone into clear water and not using braid because the fish can see it but it would stop you from losing so many lures. You could tie on a mono leader to offset the braided line in that case.

Bob
Old 01-17-06, 06:26 PM   #37
PowerBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roppen Cowboy
Never heard wisdom spoken so well. As they say here on the range. "Man that's a good A$$ kicking". Giddy up, gotta go.
well put Cowboy.
Old 01-17-06, 06:27 PM   #38
PowerBass

Fishin For Soup

I would reccomend a rhino baticaster, cheap and reliabel(sp?) Pair it wiht a cherrywood rod from walmart. Good lil combo.
Old 01-17-06, 07:14 PM   #39
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL

Bill Nye probably realizes that silly myths, although believed in by many, doesn't make it any less silly. Your grandpa tells you something is true - so it has to be true?
Old 01-17-06, 08:09 PM   #40
KH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr.
Humorous. I don't recall boasting. Your anger is undoubtedly due to your inability to refute my claim. You most likely learned to wet the line before tying from a knowledgable angler that you respect and trust. It seems that you have found my statement to be an insult to your abilities as a fisherman. That was not my intention. I trust science before conventional wisdom and it hasn't let me down yet. Don't stay mad guys, just outfish me.

i have a question, how many days a year yo go fishing.must be alot,or fish just hit berkley gulp 312 times a year. and when you go,you must go for a long time huh,because changing a bait 50 times is quite alot unless you fish for the ENTIRE day.i came on this forum to learn, not to be listining to a fool who blames stuff on me and and talks about males thinking obout their love life every 8 seconds.like the unregistered guy said,you tells us things out of the book,or something you read on an article 5 minutes earlier,its not your job to make this forum worse so i ask you kindly to stop.berkley is a major line producer,on their banmish box its says in bold lettering,please wet the line,and if you dont believe i will be more than happy to prove to you, i will ship out the box myself.have a nice day
Old 01-17-06, 08:33 PM   #41
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I fished at least 4 hrs. everyday but Sundays from Mar. 10th to Nov. 2nd. I was working 2nd shift most of the year which freed up my mornings. The lake I fish most is a mile south of me and Lake Michigan is half a mile east. I'm very lucky to live here.

I've read the Vanish box. Again, tons of well-respected anglers believe the myth. I think Berkely goes along with it because they know if you read it, you'll feel like you've been doing things right. I can't find a way to ask them what kind of tests they've done on their website. If someone out there can contact them about it that would be great. Maybe they suggest it for their fluorocarbon because it's so stiff and wetting it makes it easier to tie. I wish I could find out at their generic website. I like Stren better than the Trilene that I've used, but I will be trying Big Game.
Old 01-17-06, 08:40 PM   #42
KH.

alright,tie some vanish on,tie a knot dont wet,pull,and see how easily it breaks
Old 01-17-06, 08:41 PM   #43
WTL

Krueger, I thought I had said already that I had observed with my own eyesthat wetting the line the can reduce the wear on the line caused by most knots.
Old 01-17-06, 08:49 PM   #44
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

My eyes have not seen this. Is it because I mostly use a uni-knot? I dunno.

Does it really matter how you guys tie your knots when I'm the one catching all the fish anyway? jk
Old 01-17-06, 08:53 PM   #45
KH.

yeah you better be kidding,i dont want this arguing in the forums,krueger,if you want,we can settle this in the chatroom
Old 01-17-06, 09:01 PM   #46
JB

The Trilene Knot has been found to effectively tie the most consistent and strongest knot. Tie all 5 wraps when tying the knot, and excessively wet the line before clinching the knot. Due to the fact that fluorocarbon builds up friction heat faster than nylon, the wet line will help to prevent heat from building up and weakening the line. Always test the knot before fishing.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 09:21 PM   #47
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

That's the knot where you tie it by running the line through the eye twice and then finish like a clinch knot? The study I referred to was done on mono. I really can't see spit helping on braid. I haven't had problems with fluoro either. When my line breaks there's no pig's tail like when I break it testing knots that don't look right.

I don't want to argue anywhere. When people insult me I'll stick up for myself. As with all debates, when one party begins insulting the other then the debate has been won. Friendly jests are one thing, but I assumed you guys were more mature than this. So what if I believe that study, why do you care? Tell fishing4soup that your experiences tell you otherwise.
Old 01-17-06, 09:27 PM   #48
bass kicker

i learned how to use one when i was 2 and the mega cast is an alright reel for the money i bought it for a flippen reel until i get the money to buy a abu reel for flippen
Old 01-17-06, 10:46 PM   #49
lizardsrule

I can't beleive I read all this crap

Anyway the line may be a problem with your setup, or the reel, or the rod, or too heavy of a lure, or improper use of it. Anyway you said your dad thought you weren't using it correctly why do you think he incorrect. Does he know how to fish? Lots of things can cause line to break, from bad eyelets on the rod, to even a backlash, or a spool being snapped closed on a spinning reel. 6lb is pretty light line to be using, however putting 10-14lb test may not work. Spinning reels have different spool sizes for a reason, and suggested line sizes. These are given however in diameter of line(perhaps not all of them have this) which will tell you what size diameter line you should use, and the type of line you use will determine the diameter. If you are still new to fishing and want a baitcaster get one. But be prepared for lots of headaches while learning, and lots of time not fishing but picking at your line. You can learn it I'm sure, but a baitcaster won't make you a better angler right now, getting your lure to the fish, without it breaking will.

Lizards
Old 01-18-06, 12:41 AM   #50
Unregistered

Wow I bet you guys all believe that cold water boils faster too. I have never wet my line. Never had a problem. I got to take JR'S side on this one. I can't see where it would hurt but I have never had a negative effect.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.