Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-28-06, 05:44 PM   #26
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

cranky,

Look at getting some videos for learning. BPS has some great DVDs that cover a bunch of topics. I am looking at getting a few. Kevin Vandam has some good ones (from what I have been told). KVD is a good teacher on the weekly shows. I can't wait to try his videos. They cost $9.99 for one or $14.99 for two. You can have all the gear in the world, but if you don't have the skills and knowledge to use it properly, what good does it do.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-06, 06:04 PM   #27
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Cranky,
For that kind of money, why not get a spinning combo, and a caster. Then a Tackle Bag. An assortment of lures form rapala. Then a nice set of waders. You have endless possibilites wiht that kind of money to be spent. Be wise, get the essentials, and some extras.
Old 02-28-06, 06:25 PM   #28
Fishing4Soup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

ya you dont seem like you have been fishing long enough to need that expensive stuff...get a spincasting combo and a spincasting combo, some rapalas, soft plastics and then whatever money you have left get some videos
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-06, 06:32 PM   #29
crankybait

i wouldnt have any money left. its whatever i get, no money involved. and hey ive been fishing for a year, just not successfully. and nah i wouldnt get a spincasting, thats too low. i dont spend the money, i get the stuff on the contrtact. im just dropping some of the more expensive stuff and getting a few videos
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-06, 06:34 PM   #30
Wishing2BFishing

Cranky, why not see if you can get a boat instead of the gear.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-06, 06:40 PM   #31
PowerBass

If I were you I would buy this

Fenwick HMX 7 foot M action 2 piece Spinning Rod
Quantum Energy Pti Spinning Reel

Fenwick HMX 6ft MH Spinning Rod
Quantum Energy PTi Spinning Reel

I would then look for a nice tackle bag, like an ockochobee flats or Shimano make a good bag.

Then I would get a nice rapala lure assortment
4 orginal floaters
4 jointed
2 skitter pop
2 skitter prop
2 DT-4
2 Dt-6
2 DT-10
1 Skitter Walk
4 rattlin rapalas

Then I would get some nice plastics

Zoom Flukes
Zoom U-tales
Zoom Horny Toads
Zoom Fat Albert Grubs
Zoom Old Monster 10 inch worms
Gary Yamamoto Senkos
I would get 4 bags of senkos 2 in 4inch 2 in 5inch

Then Hooks,
I like Lazer sharp or Gammakatzu, get 2 packs of 1/0,2/0,3/0,4/0,5/0 in EWG and the same in regular J-Bend worm hooks.

For weights, tungsten is the stuff

Then some spinnerbaits/buzzbaits from Terminator

Jigs, I would get whatever you like best
Old 02-28-06, 07:08 PM   #32
crankybait

Pb- i have most of those plasticcs. people sent em to me. and i dont want to totally give up the megabass. besides, i have a floater and a skitterpop i got in the mail from some magazine offer. id say one of each rapal i dont have, the rest are megabass. thats the second time someone reccomended the pti energy. so ill check into it... but hey, the stella looks freakin amazing. im plannin on gammy hooks. jigs i dont like at all. yeah ill go with tungsten weights.
Old 02-28-06, 07:15 PM   #33
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

powerbass, ya forgot one item that is priceless, he needs a fishin' buddy!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-06, 07:17 PM   #34
crankybait

yeah that helps most. i never know what im doing wrong becasue noone tells me, so i keep doing it and dont even know its wrong
Old 02-28-06, 09:38 PM   #35
bass kicker

you should have asked use what to get before you ordered it then you probly would get the boat
Old 02-28-06, 09:45 PM   #36
crankybait

um no i signed a contract like a while ago. before i applied. i didnt order yet
Old 02-28-06, 09:52 PM   #37
dodgeguy

you cannot go wrong with that rod or reel.does your dad want to adopt me?ROFLMAO!!!
Old 02-28-06, 10:00 PM   #38
crankybait

well im just trying to get the best i can out of this deal. i mean, i doubt the energy is better than the stella and st.croix probably beats out fenwick. im thinkin id feel every bite with that combo. the lrues are what i need most help on. and i still have 130 bucks of my cash left for videos, tackle boxes, ect. boat i plan on gettin if my luremaking works out and i save like 200 dollars in a year or so
Old 02-28-06, 10:03 PM   #39
crankybait

plus the st.croix warrantee... id never need another rod in my life, theyd fix it no matter what. so one payment of 300 and never buy another rod in my life. i probably will lol, but wouldnt need to. and i doubt the drag on the stella would fail me. just takin advantage of the situation. ok, so those are open to debate if anyones got any better ideas.

now, the lures- im thinking half softbaits, half hardbaits. softbaits i chose the companies, might throw in a few zooms. hardbaits- im intent on megabass, look promising. but yeah, rapala has established itself. im trying to find the ebst stuff available... so some jointed, DT, rattlin and whatelse?

how bout the line? with the reel im likely to get im sure i can take some good quantities... trilene?
Old 02-28-06, 11:28 PM   #40
KenDammit

me thinks you're being blinded by the high price tag on some of those lures.

I'm sure, quite sure you're dad would let you spend the same amount of money on a lot more stuff if you talked to him. Go to him and say "hey, with the contract thing, how about we do this? I can spend x amount of money on a bunch of expensive stuff, or I can spend that same amount of money on less expensive stuff....it'll all be the same in the end, so can we just do that?"

If you're going to buy lures...I would not pass up getting jigs, jig trailers, a myriad of plastic worm styles, shapes, colors. Then you have tubes, creatures, frogs, on and on and on. I would much rather buy the quality crankbaits that exist in the 3-6 dollar range and get duplicates of them vs. one of an expensive crankbait. Keep in mind how deep the water you fish regularly is. Theres no need to buy a CB that dives to 18 feet if you only fish in 8-10 feet of water. Really, its all personal choice..but I'd regret spending such obscene amounts of money on a few things rather than spending an obscene amount of money on a lot of quality things at a lesser price.

For line, Yo-Zuri Hybrid ultra-soft in 6lb test is good for a spinning reel. You don't need to get a giant reel for bass fishing..you'll never be spooled unless you get hooked in on the longest cast you've ever made in your life. If you're intent on a stella, I wouldn't go higher than the 3000. Looking at the way that reel handles line, it doesn't seem like a real power fishing reel, at all. The Sustain 2500FD, although a little heavier by an ounce-ish, seems much more suited to heavier fishing, and it draws more line per turn.

I guess my most sound advice would be to take your time...don't rush into just buying a bunch of stuff because of the price tag. That doesn't mean its the best for you or the best there is to buy.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 04:50 PM   #41
PowerBass

I agree with ken, and that is sorta what i was tryin to say. Price tag doesnt always mean quality. Sometimes it is a gimmick for people, you know what I am saying?
Old 03-01-06, 05:59 PM   #42
crankybait

ok then. ill be buying tubes and worms from alluring and pourboys and assalt as i said. ill lower the megabass to 5 lures. im still pretty intent on the stella. and i think id move a little igher than 6 pound test, since i wouldnt be able to fish so greatly with that
Old 03-01-06, 06:05 PM   #43
mike90
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike90

this is what i would do, take the advise everyone here is giving you, you can have a $1,000 rod, a $500 reel, $10,000 dollars worth of the most expensive baits and be outfished every day of the week by somone using a rod/reel combo costing $100, and a bag of baits, or a single spinnerbait, or......

do you get it? the equipment is only as good and the one using it. unless you are a really good fishman and fish 3-4 days a week there is no need to get the rod/reel you are getting, i know you want something good that will last but you can buy a st. croix priemer rod $80, a $60-80 reel and have one hell of a nice spinning setup for a lot less money then just what the elite rod itself would cost.

my best advise is to re-read all of these post and re-think what you should get, go into fishing shops and talk to guys you will learn a lot of good stuff that is working well in your area, if you can get someone to help you out on the water would help you so much you wouldn't believe, there is really no need to spend over $8-10 on a bait, get 5 or 6 spinnerbaits with different blades/ skirts you don't need $8 spinnerbaits $3 ones i use both and 99% of the time it dosen't make much difference.

also when you get your rod pick one that you can throw a lot of different baits on and don't buy baits that you can't use on your rod ex. buying heavy jigs/spinnerbait/cranks when you rod isn't stiff enough to throw them
mike90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 06:28 PM   #44
crankybait

mike- sorry dude, i was just being gredey. i have the power to choose anything i want, i thought id choose the best. sure i could be outfished easily, but good grear does make a difference. and for spinnerbaits im planning on buying the kind where you can change the blades and skirts and stuff. i mean, i kinda want these just because i know i can. im guessing id do better with these than an 80 dolar rod and reel, and i can get them if i asked. it comes from years of beig cheap and stuff
Old 03-01-06, 07:24 PM   #45
mike90
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike90

Quote:
was just being gredey. i have the power to choose anything i want, i thought id choose the best. sure i could be outfished easily, but good grear does make a difference
i know i don't mean to come down hard if that is what it seems, i like the fact that you want good stuff and the best you can get but there is a point where it goes to over kill, spinning gear is much different then a baitcaster as far as quality/price. if you want a good baitcasting outfit it is going to cost $250 easy, but with spinning gear you can get a great setup for less then $150-200, quialty gear will help everyone but their is a point where you need to draw the line let me ask you this; should a weekend golfer use the same clubs as tiger woods? good stuff helps but you got to know where to draw the line. there is a lot of great stuff out there that will help you out, boats, teachers, lessons, gear, you just have to figure out what will help you catch the most bass. there are a lot of stuff on these boards that will help you out

here is one; i am going to tell you flat out, get a cheaper outfit (i listed a great setup last post) don't go so overboard on the baits buy as many or more then you think you will need but there isn't any reason for you to spend that much for some of the stuff, buy a knock-off or look a like rapala and you will catch just as many bass, take all that extra money and buy a small boat, or lessons or more gear or......buy whatever you think will help you the most put some suffix on the reel a owner hook on and hang on.

if you want i think you could get a lot of great ideas by starting a new thread and writing "guys i am new to bass fishing i have X amount of dollars to spend what would you buy rod, reel, lures, small boat?? lessons? what do you think help me out" i'll be one of the first to type what i would buy good luck
mike90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 07:34 PM   #46
crankybait

well im sure the golfer would like to have the same clubs as tiger woods. theyre definetely good. and the thing is, there is no X ammount of money. its not even my money. i usually just have my birthday moeny for the whole season, so longing for better gear made me crazy. i wont save anything, lose anything. its just i choose 50 lures, a rod, and a reel, and 2 spools of line. no money question involved... first part i was thinking well he, i should get the best i can. second was to make my dad feel bad for even doubting id make it into the school. third part would be revenge for my dad not lettig me be a lawyer. im just trying to get the ebst i can. ive got 130 dollars left of my birthday money though. a boa is way too much anyways... and ive looked a lot, couldnt find any fishing teachers or lessons in nj. theres fly fishing lessons, but nothing else
Old 03-01-06, 07:44 PM   #47
RatLTrap

Send a message via MSN to RatLTrap

How much would shippin run on that boat? you know he might also have to pay shipping costs
Old 03-01-06, 07:45 PM   #48
KenDammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait
ok then. ill be buying tubes and worms from alluring and pourboys and assalt as i said. ill lower the megabass to 5 lures. im still pretty intent on the stella. and i think id move a little igher than 6 pound test, since i wouldnt be able to fish so greatly with that
Yo-zuri 6lb test has 12lb breaking strength. You could probably bump the Yo-Zuri test up to 8 or 10 and get up to 16lb breaking strength and still be within the line specs for a stella 3000.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 07:45 PM   #49
crankybait

not buying a boat... but if we ever do, theres a boat usa like 30 minutes away
Old 03-01-06, 07:46 PM   #50
crankybait

and ken in that case ill be researching that line... never saw it at walmart

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.