Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-15-09, 10:48 PM   #1
bigjim
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default catchin a bullhead on finesse worm?

i tried this new pond by my house tonite for the first time. (its been there for eons just new to me fishing it) looks like it holds some really nice sized bass in there. but every time i threw out my ZOOM finesse worm kept pulling out bullheads, and not even decent sized ones. my damn worm was almost bigger than the fish. plus, im surprised he was able to grab the size 3 hook i was usin and hold on

anyone ever have this happen?, cause its defiantly a first for me catching a bullhead on a plastic worm
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 11:21 PM   #2
fishin' fool

Catching other species on "bass" lures isn't uncommon. If you think about it, most fish are very opprotunistic and will forage on alot of different prey that is available at that time. Bullheads can be prolific and competition can be very high among individuals, so when any food is present it won't be wasted.
I've caught flathead catfish on plastics and crankbaits, channel catfish on cranks and spinners, walleye in 2 feet of murkey water on a big balsa crank, fresh water drum on tubes. Fish will forage on any bass lure. Good fishin'
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 11:35 PM   #3
bigjim

yea i ve gotten walleyes plenty of times on spinner baits, just surprised me when i pulled up a bullhead, wasnt expecting it
Old 07-15-09, 11:40 PM   #4
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Caught two cats over 20 in one outing on a crappy jig. I ended up catching more bass and catfish on 1" grubs and jigs than I did crappy. As to the post if its happening really often then there may be an overpopulation of bullhead in your pond.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 11:54 PM   #5
bigjim

as it turns out. 1 of the fellas on another forum im in relating to local waters knew of the pond i was talking about.. and said the whole pond is basically carp & bullheads.
Old 07-16-09, 02:32 AM   #6
Stew

I've caught Channel Cats and Fat Snook in freshwater on chartreuse spinnerbaits. Nothing surprises me.

~

Last edited by Stew; 07-16-09 at 02:39 AM.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 09:03 AM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

catfish will eat anything they can fit in their mouths, including bass lures. if there's a lot of them in there, and no size to any of them, most likely the population is too big and they don't have enough food. that's probably why they're taking the worm so readily.

BB
Old 07-16-09, 12:48 PM   #8
BoyoBoyle
BassFishin.Com Member

I caught a bowfin on a plastic worm. Had to kill it though, thats what the game commission tells us to do. They say they're harmful to the other fish and habitat. Man, those things don't die easy.... my friend tried to stab it in the head just so it would die fast, but it stayed alive after we did that and let it sit in the weeds for an hour! Those bowfin are tough... no wonder they're prehistoric, they dont die and eat anything!
BoyoBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 12:52 PM   #9
nofearengineer

I caught a nice little channel cat on a crappie jig at the Kentucky Lake event this year. I was also surprised, having never had that happen before.
Old 07-16-09, 01:02 PM   #10
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I lost my favorite X-Rap to a 25-30 lbs whiskerfish back about March or so. I couldn't turn him with 12 lb test, he ended up breaking me off.
Old 07-16-09, 01:05 PM   #11
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyoBoyle View Post
I caught a bowfin on a plastic worm. Had to kill it though, thats what the game commission tells us to do. They say they're harmful to the other fish and habitat. Man, those things don't die easy.... my friend tried to stab it in the head just so it would die fast, but it stayed alive after we did that and let it sit in the weeds for an hour! Those bowfin are tough... no wonder they're prehistoric, they dont die and eat anything!
Where do you live, Boyle?

The Bowfin is pretty much a native to most of the US. I can't believe a local game warden would be so asinine to encourage killing a native, no matter how ugly or undesirable they are.
Old 07-16-09, 07:42 PM   #12
Stew

Scratchin' my head just like you are, nofearengineer....
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 08:37 PM   #13
zooker

nope never had that problem..

tell ya what though when ya graduate to catching gizzard shad on a crankbait let me know...

zooker
Old 07-17-09, 07:54 AM   #14
bcklash

That's funny Zookie just last night I caught a 7lb channel cat on a shallow running crankbait. You always pray that it's a huge bass but you know when it won't come up so easy it's a cat. Still alot of fun.
Old 07-17-09, 10:39 AM   #15
cassidyta

In the past 2 years, all of the cats that I have caught have been off either a T-rigged hand poured worm or a jig. While it is not alot, maybe 5, it still is a rush on the initial strike. Then of course, there is the dive and roll the tells me immediately "this is no bass"

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.