Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-23-09, 04:46 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Reflective Tape?

I was thinking about something I had read a while back concerning typing a small jig on ahead of or behind a lure to make the fish think something was being "chased". Supposedly, this would arouse their competitiveness, and get them to join the party.

I was wondering if I could achieve the same result with a 4"-6" piece of reflective mirror tape, attached a couple of feet in front of a crankbait. Anyone ever try this or see it tried?

I was thinking it could be held in place by a dropper loop, then folded over on itself through the loop...kind of like a single-strand streamer. Hmmm....the more I think about it, you could use something like a piece or two of Christmas Tree Icing, or anything else flashy (and cheap) you wouldn't miss. I wonder if the fish would start hitting that instead of the crankbait. I guess you could put a single hook on the dropper loop too if that were the case.

Oh well, something to try out this weekend maybe.
Old 07-23-09, 05:52 PM   #2
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That is a very intriguing idea. We can address the chance of the fish going for the attractor by tying your flashy material to a hook much like a streamer fly. I have never made streamer flys, but I have made dressed trebles that could serve the same purpose. The link below shows some examples of streamers. For both the streamers and dressed trebles just about any flashy type material can be used. The Christmas flashy material is a good candidate material IMHO.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

Just picture your materials on the treble or single hook.

If a streamer or dressed treble is used with your dropper loop, it could be attached to the loop with a split ring.

A three way swivel of this type could also be used in place of the dropper loop. One end to the main line, the other to the crankbait, and the bottom one to the hook dressing.

http://www.psfishing.com/swivel.html

I'd like to try this out, but I don't have any dressed trebles. Awesome idea!
Old 07-23-09, 06:10 PM   #3
keithdog

That would be an interresting experiment. You might want to go on line and see if there is something made just for that for fishing for salmon and other species with downriggers. I know a doger would be way too big, but maybe they make something smaller that would be like your after.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 06:22 PM   #4
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i read something online about doing this...couldnt find the link.
what about a small silver spoon in front of the crank.....too much weight ya think?
maybe just a foot or two in front

chritmas tinsel does sound pretty good!

if you do it,let us know!! im curious
Old 07-23-09, 06:29 PM   #5
WTL

This shares the same or similar concepts with the twin fluke rig. It seems to have so definite possibility as I am sure we are all familiar with the fact that nothing will cause more aggressive reaction strikes from bass than a race by multiple competing bass to the same lure, ergo, make fish think they are competing with another entity for the lure and it is just that much more likely to hit.

I wonder if you could tie the streamer material directly to the line, like a strike indicator in nymph (fly) fishing?

Stike indicators:
http://www.randrflyfishing.com/2008/...r-for-the-job/

The use of dropper flies:
http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/t...ng_double.aspx
Old 07-23-09, 11:08 PM   #6
Stew
BassFishin.Com Active Member

This is where fishing saltwater can serve your Bassin'.

What you're talking about is done routinely with a sabiki rig. In saltwater, I will typically place a 1/2 oz grubtail jig on the terminal end of a sabiki rig. The sabiki lures will catch Threadfin Herring and such, and the jig Blue Runners - I use both as live bait.

It is nothing to adapt such a rig for freshwater.

Also, to absolutely slaughter panfish, get a large 1/16 oz popping bug, one for fly fishing, and tie it on to an ultra light spinning rig. Then, tie about 3 to 4 feet of line on to the popping bug's hook and attach a sinking fly. You can add flys in tandem. Cast the rig and get ready for some continuous action. Most will hit the flies, even bass, but an occasional lunker panfish, and of course some nice bass, will nail the popping bug.

~

Last edited by Stew; 07-23-09 at 11:40 PM.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 07:52 AM   #7
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

When the Christmas stuff at Wal Mart goes on clearance, pick up some holographic icicles on sale for 50 cents a pack, marked down from three dollars. The holographic icicles are not only narrow and flutter well, but being holographic, have many "scales" in effect. If you tie them to a hook with thread, be sure to use a fly tying thread and coat it with clear fingernail polish. Using many regular sewing threads will result in loosening and the fly coming apart. I'd also suggest using a palomar knot for tying onto the line with a fair sized tag end for tying on the following lure. The thread I use for tying small and large jigs is a Danville's 210 Denier Waxed Flymaster Plus......great thread for tying. When tying strands such as icicles, doubling them back and wrapping locks the strands in.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 11:55 AM   #8
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
That is a very intriguing idea. We can address the chance of the fish going for the attractor by tying your flashy material to a hook much like a streamer fly. I have never made streamer flys, but I have made dressed trebles that could serve the same purpose. The link below shows some examples of streamers. For both the streamers and dressed trebles just about any flashy type material can be used. The Christmas flashy material is a good candidate material IMHO.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

Just picture your materials on the treble or single hook.

If a streamer or dressed treble is used with your dropper loop, it could be attached to the loop with a split ring.

A three way swivel of this type could also be used in place of the dropper loop. One end to the main line, the other to the crankbait, and the bottom one to the hook dressing.

http://www.psfishing.com/swivel.html

I'd like to try this out, but I don't have any dressed trebles. Awesome idea!
I read an article or saw a show where they slipped something like these on the line and then tied on a spoon. The feather lure was allowed to move freely up and down the line. I have tried this a few times and have caught some bass on the front bait and I have caught some on the spoon. I was hoping for a double, but that has not happened yet.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.