Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-24-09, 06:11 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default My First Frog

I got such a kick out of watching Rando and his hat videos that I bought one of the frogs he was using. The Scum Frog, in a nice brownish color. You gotta love that name...unapologetic.

It looks like a pretty straightforward presentation...cast, retrieve, and let the little flippity feet do their thing. Anything else I should know?

Somebody told me to use it in open water, but I fear the white bass and hybrids will rip it to shreds before I get a chance to catch a hawg largemouth on it.
Old 07-24-09, 06:24 PM   #2
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

fish them near thick pads, scattered pads, grass, around piers, around laydowns, IN laydowns...pretty much anywhere. they will catch fish anywhere basically.
Old 07-24-09, 07:00 PM   #3
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I have a scum frog but haven't used it much. Just don't like it as well as the Spro, Bobby's Perfect Frog, or the Bass Pro Shops Mad Maxx.
Hope it works out for you but if by some chance it doesn't, try one of the others vs giving up.
I got so tired of some of these guys braggin up Spro frogs that I had to try one and I am seriously hooked!
I checked out a lake last weekend. Once I realized it held Lily Pads in only 2 spots and they were too shallow and muddy to fish, I left. Didn't even resort to another technique, just moved on the the next lake I wanted to check. The action is just that good!
I prefer, by a long shot, casting onto the pads. Incredible action.
If you haven't used them before, just remember, when they strike, lower your rod tip as you count 2 or 3 seconds off and then do your best to jerk their face off.
Extremely addicting fishing. If you've fished another frog before, then this was a wasted post lol.
Good luck!
Old 07-25-09, 04:15 AM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

NFE, I have had my best luck this summer on the reaction strike from the frog. Don't limit yourself to just throwing and twitching. I figured this out by making some bad cast and burning it back to the boat and having blow ups after egging all morning. Uh huh MM, another sucker for the Spro.
Old 07-25-09, 07:14 AM   #5
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
NFE, I have had my best luck this summer on the reaction strike from the frog. Don't limit yourself to just throwing and twitching. I figured this out by making some bad cast and burning it back to the boat and having blow ups after egging all morning. Uh huh MM, another sucker for the Spro.
Yep, I accidentally learned the same. Once I cleared the pads by a few yards, I'd reel as fast as I could just to get it back on the pads sooner. Ended up getting an open water strike
Old 07-25-09, 09:05 AM   #6
aikenyounggun

wow me and SBK keep sayin open water froggin and look you guys have had the experiece too....... we dont really have a lake of pond that has pads all over......

but around any cover it good

remember a good hook up ratio is 50%, but if you throw in their the 2nd time it will usually hit ..... there is an article about this on www.bassmaster.com right now
Old 07-25-09, 11:36 AM   #7
cassidyta

There is not much that rivals the explosion on a frog.
Any time I am frog fishing, I try to have a second rod at the ready with a small 4 inch worm of fluke. I will usually throw this into a spot following a missed blow up.
Like Mallen, I prefer to throw them right on top of the high grasses or pads. The blow up will usually make enough of a hole for the other bait to fall into the opening.

As far as how to fish them. I do a lot of stop and start when I have them in the open water. I I don't like to let them sit too long, maybe 3-5 seconds. I always give them a big twitch when they first make contact with the open water. Recently I have been throwing the popping frog more than the others when in more open water.

Frogs are often my "heat of the day" bait. Times when the fish are seeking shelter from the sun.
Old 07-26-09, 07:10 AM   #8
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
wow me and SBK keep sayin open water froggin and look you guys have had the experiece too....... we dont really have a lake of pond that has pads all over......

but around any cover it good

remember a good hook up ratio is 50%, but if you throw in their the 2nd time it will usually hit ..... there is an article about this on www.bassmaster.com right now

I hope to get a hook up ratio of 50% someday lol
Old 07-26-09, 02:34 PM   #9
Scott McGehee
BassFishin.Com Member

here's a link to an article about frog fishing that may help. Can't say much about the writer, but some of the tips might help.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/t..._mcgehee_frogs
Scott McGehee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 06:26 PM   #10
nofearengineer

I tried out my Scumfrog Bigfoot, and it was cool to watch the feet kick the water like that. Awesome action, but alas, no bites. Wasn't much goin on on topwater.
Old 07-26-09, 07:04 PM   #11
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I tried out my Scumfrog Bigfoot, and it was cool to watch the feet kick the water like that. Awesome action, but alas, no bites. Wasn't much goin on on topwater.
It'll get there for ya man the only top water bait that seems to exist to frustrate me is the buzz bait I catch em on frogs , poppers and many others but have yet to get a fish or a strike on a buzz bait .

Jim

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.