Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-26-09, 12:44 PM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default time pre spot..

a question to all of ya..
now i will just go down a bank at times. but since the aml has hit i start to crap out in about 4 hours..

that being said i am hitting the high percentage spots. and by passing the so/so places.. mostly targeting rock piles...
i counted this morning 15-20 cast on the rock pile before moving on. with a crank and the fearsome ky-rig...though i only caught one runt on the ky-rig.. most were taken on the crank..

i did spend a few cast extra on the rock pile with a tree on it.. caught a frikkin 40 pound flat head doing it...

but since the creek i was in has several very GOOD rockpiles -well marked and well known- i hit three cranked up and short hopped to my well hidden rock pile. and picked up a keeper third cast...

short hopped again to a well marked rockpile 10 cast an a runt bass loaded up..two more cast and i caught the 7 pound flat head..

again a short hop to the creek mouth 20 cast nothing.

jumped across the lake and hit the main lake point one bump on da rig in 18 cast.

i left ran down to a second main lake point.. 15 cast before i got crowded out...

i started to feel the weakness come on i headed for the ramp..one most know his limitations when dealing with aml..

i know some of you tend to campout on a spot. so how many cast do you put on a given area before you move??

zooker
Old 07-26-09, 02:19 PM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Zook even though I am fishing from the bank 90% of the time I'll give the area a good once over two or three times before moving on If there hasn't been a bump or two .

Jim
Old 07-26-09, 04:46 PM   #3
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I also fish the bank about 90% of the time and i"ll usually give a good piece of cover 20 to 30 casts from a few different angles before moving on.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 06:18 PM   #4
Flippy
BassFishin.Com Member

i prolly dont cover an area well enough i seem to always get caught up lookin for the bass that are starvin
Old 07-26-09, 07:28 PM   #5
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy View Post
i prolly dont cover an area well enough i seem to always get caught up lookin for the bass that are starvin
That is a mistake that a lot of people make man, happens the same with baits after 2 or three casts your either ready to move or tie something new on and most the time slowing down and picking the area apart will produce a fish or two .

Jim
Old 07-26-09, 11:19 PM   #6
cassidyta

My general rule is to make sure each spot is hit 3-4 times from every angle I can throw. This usually means 20 casts with one bait to a spot. Then I will give it another 20 with another bait.
Old 07-27-09, 01:23 AM   #7
carolina-rig-01

my biggest problem as a tourney angler used to be spending too much time on a spot where i knew there we fish but i wasn't getting bit. now i have somewhat of an approach that i try to live by on tourney days. i will hit a spot from every angle possible with a handful of cast, switching baits now and then. if i don't get bit i leave and usually hit it again later in the day, it's amazing how a fish's mood will change throughout the day and a spot that didn't produce a bite earlier can yield a lot of fish later in the day.

if i am fun fishing then i will spend a lot more time on a spot even if i am not catching fish because i try to work the spot really hard to see if there is something i can do to make them bite. usually there is nothing you can do but once in a while you will figure something out that comes in really handy on game day.
Old 07-27-09, 01:39 AM   #8
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Roughly 3 casts from every angle.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 06:07 PM   #9
keithdog

It partly depends on the location. If it's a spot I've not fished before or not often, then I will give it a good 15 casts with a couple different lures from vaious angles. If it's a place I have high confidence in because of a history of catching fish in that spot previously, I will spend more time.Likewise, if I'm at a spot that hasn't been a proven producer in the past, I'll give it about 10 to 15 casts and move on. Also, if I'm on a small lake that gets a lot of fishing pressure, I'll make fewer casts and moved quickly if the lake has already taken a pounding that day.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 11:37 AM   #10
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
It partly depends on the location. If it's a spot I've not fished before or not often, then I will give it a good 15 casts with a couple different lures from vaious angles. If it's a place I have high confidence in because of a history of catching fish in that spot previously, I will spend more time.Likewise, if I'm at a spot that hasn't been a proven producer in the past, I'll give it about 10 to 15 casts and move on. Also, if I'm on a small lake that gets a lot of fishing pressure, I'll make fewer casts and moved quickly if the lake has already taken a pounding that day.

yea keith has pretty much the same approach i do.......i have a rule of at least fifteen cast per lure,i usually do 5 in a row of that angle before switching angles,then hit every angle once before switching lures or plastics

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.