Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 11-14-07, 06:11 AM   #1
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default zipper craw

Does anyone use this bait, besides me ? Its got alot of bulk to it, they are pretty durable as well.P N J https://www.secure-sam.com/www.zippe...8a92ea30c675f3
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 07:40 PM   #2
3dkicker

I have a bag of them and tried them once or twice. Don't think I did anything on them. But I still have them somewhere. If I remember they are much heavier than normal trailers or craws and when I used them they added too much weight and resistance to the rod I was using at the time . Probably would work pretty well on the rods I use now .

Last edited by 3dkicker; 11-16-07 at 07:46 PM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 07:57 PM   #3
pig n jig

They don't require a rattle, the bass know they just fell through the water somewhere near them. I don't think they are a every day bait, but when the bass are feeding heavy, I go to them alot. p n j
Old 11-16-07, 08:22 PM   #4
3dkicker

I'm sure they give off a lot of vibration as they fall through the water just like the worm does. But does it do the same in moving current??? I know they use them on the Delta in CA. But do they work better than some of the newer creature/craw baits. There's a "gliding" or sliding movement, if the bait is weighted properly and catches the river current just right, that some of the newer plastic baits have that I believe (actually I know ) triggers the bass.

I also have a long slender trailer that I use on lakes that gives the jig a similar gliding action when dropped over limbs or laydowns.
Old 11-16-07, 10:26 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

would be cool to try on a jig.. weight really don't matter -only in casting distance- a bulky bait will fall slower the ribs would make it vibrate on the fall.. would be an excellant cold water bait as it would really slow the fall..

zooker
Old 11-17-07, 06:13 AM   #6
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
I'm sure they give off a lot of vibration as they fall through the water just like the worm does. But does it do the same in moving current??? I know they use them on the Delta in CA. But do they work better than some of the newer creature/craw baits. There's a "gliding" or sliding movement, if the bait is weighted properly and catches the river current just right, that some of the newer plastic baits have that I believe (actually I know ) triggers the bass.

I also have a long slender trailer that I use on lakes that gives the jig a similar gliding action when dropped over limbs or laydowns.
No they don't.The Yamamoto Ika is a very good bait for what your talking about, they will glide backwards easily as well.
Old 11-24-07, 11:55 PM   #7
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Ha I fish the Delta a lot and the black/red flake Ika is one of my favorites.
Old 11-26-07, 05:45 PM   #8
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

PNJ, how do they hold up on a Worm hook? The first place all the worms tear up are at the bend near the eye for me. However I also believe the softness of the bait makes a difference in how well the fish hold on. I like the idea of the hard nose baits, just haven't found anything I really like from them. Of coure I use zipper worms a lot. They work for all different species of salwater fish too.

Lizards
Old 11-26-07, 08:17 PM   #9
3dkicker

Senko - Do you use the zipper craws in moving current??? or just the Ika??
Plus you have 4-7' of tide movement on the Delta....that tide must rip out of places. I've been on the Hudson and it drops between 3-4' and moves pretty quick in some places. Must be tough judging the water speed and getting the weight right to get the baits to present properly.
Old 11-26-07, 09:31 PM   #10
pig n jig

Lizards I use heavy wire jigs, or flipping hooks that are heavier shanked.I went to put one on a worm hook, but my craws relocated to my friends boat where I used them last.I would think they are very simular to your zipper worm. P N J
Old 11-28-07, 12:05 AM   #11
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Senko - Do you use the zipper craws in moving current??? or just the Ika??
Plus you have 4-7' of tide movement on the Delta....that tide must rip out of places. I've been on the Hudson and it drops between 3-4' and moves pretty quick in some places. Must be tough judging the water speed and getting the weight right to get the baits to present properly.
To tell you the truth I have never tried the craws, but have used the worms. They put out tons of vibration for the bass to find it in murky water.
I usually just use a 1/4 Oz. bullet weight pegged right above the hook... works just fine for me.
Old 11-28-07, 08:23 PM   #12
3dkicker

That's heavy compared to the Potomac. 1/8 to 3/16 gets the baits to move right in most areas of the river. I only go heavier in the deep channels.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.