Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-09, 10:42 PM   #1
bigjim
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default soft body swim-baits

any of you guys have luck with using these?

i have a couple in my tackle box that i bought probably 2 or 3 yrs ago ,just never used 'em but a couple of times. they sure looked cool though,thats why i bought em.. now i just wanna catch something using it
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 10:47 PM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

the swimbait bite is a different animal than what you are most likely used to fishing man, most the time you will throw the bait a couple hundred times looking for 5 or six bites , but when those bites come they are usually quality ones .

jim
Old 07-27-09, 10:50 PM   #3
bigjim

i see what you mean, cause after i throw it about 50 times im usually like "piss on this" and go to something else
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 12:01 AM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
i see what you mean, cause after i throw it about 50 times im usually like "piss on this" and go to something else

I hear ya bigjim, hahaha. I'm the same way. I'm sure they will work, but from what I've learned about these baits is they are primarily big fish baits and are not going to get a lot of action in most parts. I guess if your out hunting for trophy bass exclusivly it's a good way to go. Kind of like being a musky fisherman. It takes patience, which I don't have a lot of.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 02:24 AM   #5
Stew

Soft swimbaits and jerkbaits are my choice go-to lure whenever bass are active but taking a good look and not simply giving reaction strikes as they might a spinnerbait that suddenly invades their lair. This class of lure is my second-best confidence lure - for good reason. They should be in the repertoire of every Basser, IMHO.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 11:12 AM   #6
cassidyta

I love the swim bait bite. I use them in ambush spots where a big bass might be hiding. They are a great fall bait when the fish are trying to fatten up for the upcomming winter.
They are a bait of 100 casts and can be very frustrating, but when they get hit hold on.
Old 07-28-09, 11:19 AM   #7
WaffleJaw

yea i carry some banjo minnows and some berkley 4'' jerk shad minnows....

i dont use the banjo minnows too often,and so far , no strikes
they look great swimming and the action is suberb,but no takers yet...

the jerk minnows have produced some bass and catfish....so those are my go to soft swim baits for now..
Old 07-28-09, 11:50 AM   #8
Raul

Went fishing this past Sunday, tied a 6" Huddleston Deluxe Weedless trout, casted it from 9 AM until 4 PM, took a break to have lunch, resumed fishing and on the first cast landed a chubby 4 pounder, it was a good day, it only cost me 7 hours of casting to catch a fish , sometimes I cast all day long and I donīt even get a follow up, let alone a strike.

So the bottom end is: if you are not willing to spend time casting that kind of bait then they are not for you, fish with something else.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 03:29 PM   #9
swimbaitkid

Start out with a 5in Berkley Hollow Belly swimbait,the only color you need is white and you will catch fish anywhere with it.Plus you get a lot of bites on it of all sizes
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 03:49 PM   #10
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbaitkid View Post
Start out with a 5in Berkley Hollow Belly swimbait,the only color you need is white and you will catch fish anywhere with it.Plus you get a lot of bites on it of all sizes
Alright buddy , im gonna try this , this weekend. I hope your right.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 04:15 PM   #11
WTL

Having already become the best drop shot fisherman in da world, I think I will soon turn my eye towards buying a swimbait. And I'm not talking about the discount rubbery storm crankbaits that we all have been suckered into buying at walmart, no sir, I'm gonna get me a real swim bait! Might even spend as much as 7...no $7.50!!!!
Old 07-28-09, 04:38 PM   #12
swimbaitkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Alright buddy , im gonna try this , this weekend. I hope your right.
if you are new to swimbaiting,put a stinger hook on like a small treble hook,bc most people set the hook as soon as they feel a bite,but u have to let them eat it.use at least 15lb line to get a decent hookset
Old 07-28-09, 04:54 PM   #13
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Having already become the best drop shot fisherman in da world, I think I will soon turn my eye towards buying a swimbait. And I'm not talking about the discount rubbery storm crankbaits that we all have been suckered into buying at walmart, no sir, I'm gonna get me a real swim bait! Might even spend as much as 7...no $7.50!!!!

LOL.....
You will get a darn nice swimbait WTL.
Old 07-28-09, 05:56 PM   #14
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post

You are the wild man WTL!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 06:47 PM   #15
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbaitkid View Post
if you are new to swimbaiting,put a stinger hook on like a small treble hook,bc most people set the hook as soon as they feel a bite,but u have to let them eat it.use at least 15lb line to get a decent hookset

Well , I got this kit , it comes with a treble. I also got some 5/0 weighted swimbait hooks. I am going to nose hook it like it says in the newest issue of bassin mag. it says in there you wont miss a fish nose hooked.
Old 07-28-09, 06:49 PM   #16
CMorg

I got 17# flouro , and a 7' MH rod. I could use my flippin stick if I had to , its got 65# powerpro , 8'H rod.
Old 07-28-09, 06:56 PM   #17
swimbaitkid

you can use the braid if you want,line doesnt matter when you are swimbait fishing,they eat it if they want it,they get so focused in on the bait,they dont care,i have caught 4&5lbers next to the boat when i was about to pull it out of the water.and let them eat it if you r gonna nose hook it or u will be pulling in just a hook if you set it as soon as they bite,and they usually hit a swimbait hard,so u know when u get bit
Old 07-28-09, 08:33 PM   #18
CMorg

I may go with the treble hook , it looks like it would work good , it has a swivel with it.
Old 07-28-09, 08:42 PM   #19
swimbaitkid

it will roll and not run as true,just so you know,but the fish wont care if the thing is white
Old 07-28-09, 09:00 PM   #20
toppwatr

So your like serious about this white thing??? Can a 1 lb smallmouth in a creek or small river take it?should I spend the 10$ on a pack of white hollow bellies? I really want to get something on a swimbait so this is what I should do?
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 09:56 PM   #21
Bassboss

I wanna get some of the 5 or 6 inchers! When I do get them, I'll use a screw in keel weighted 5/0 swimbait hook, I'll also use the stinger treble.. seems like a really good idea to me, especially if you use braid, you gonna be more likely to rip the bait from the bass using braid than you will with mono or flouro. So ya, I'll use a 20lb flouro leader with a 6 red treble, and a white swimbait. How's that sond to sbk? And should I let the hook hand free, or poke one point into the swimbait with plenty of slake so it has room to wiggle?
Old 07-29-09, 08:24 AM   #22
swimbaitkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppwatr View Post
So your like serious about this white thing??? Can a 1 lb smallmouth in a creek or small river take it?should I spend the 10$ on a pack of white hollow bellies? I really want to get something on a swimbait so this is what I should do?
I have caught a ton of nonkeepers on swimbaits,they usually just get the stinger hook if you use one,but if you want to catch some smallies use the 4in,and you will catch fish of all sizes.My biggest swimbait fish came on a Castaic 6in perch,I didnt weigh it but it was close to 7lbs,caught on a little swimbait
Old 07-29-09, 08:29 AM   #23
swimbaitkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I wanna get some of the 5 or 6 inchers! When I do get them, I'll use a screw in keel weighted 5/0 swimbait hook, I'll also use the stinger treble.. seems like a really good idea to me, especially if you use braid, you gonna be more likely to rip the bait from the bass using braid than you will with mono or flouro. So ya, I'll use a 20lb flouro leader with a 6 red treble, and a white swimbait. How's that sond to sbk? And should I let the hook hand free, or poke one point into the swimbait with plenty of slake so it has room to wiggle?
Braid will just give you a better hookset if you let the fish eat the whole bait,or at least has the hook.and use a 4 size treble,i think the one that comes in the pack is to big for a stinger,and stick one of the trebles in the body when you use a stinger.

Another way to rig a hollow belly is to put a 1/4oz shaky head inside the body,but cut the spring off of it.that way its not as hard to get the hook in the fish and it will run true pretty much all the time
Old 07-29-09, 08:41 AM   #24
toppwatr

I got 3.5 inch shadalicious for smallmouth. Think they'll do the job for smallmouth?
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 10:11 AM   #25
swimbaitkid

yeah,rig it with a shaky head inside,that would be the best way to rig a swimbait that small,without useing a stinger

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.