Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 09-01-11, 07:16 PM   #26
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

so......bryce, anthony......you 2 gonna take the reins and host next years event? jsut asking now ok?

or does someone else want to do it?
Old 09-01-11, 07:44 PM   #27
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Also if we could try to make it at a lake with both smallies and largemouth, I think that would be great... maybe john could finally get himself a small jaws.

Along with who ever else ain't had to opportunity of catching these awesome fish!

Brookville would probably work well for us.
Ky lake has an extremely healthy smallmouth population... just saying.

Seems like every time I've been out there recently we see at least 2 or 3 each day, and most of them are dandies.
Old 09-01-11, 11:42 PM   #28
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
so......bryce, anthony......you 2 gonna take the reins and host next years event? jsut asking now ok?

or does someone else want to do it?
John, I would definitely volunteer, especially so if Anthony wants to help out. He is the great cook after all. I will try not to be such a zombie next time. I have to learn not to work so much and cut it so close leading up to vacation time.

So it looks like some of the suggestions have been:

Patoka (good sized lake, LMB, walleye, rare SMB...fishing can be tough, limited lodging)
Brookville (a little smaller than Patoka...LMB, good walleye, lots of SMB too, limited lodging)
Dale Hollow (huge...great SMB, good LMB, trout...yum, can be super tough...pretty decent lodging)
KY Lake (monstrous...best LMB, common SMB, stripers...a great numbers lake...size too...excellent lodging)

We still have forever to think about it, but worth mentioning...

Last edited by nofearengineer; 09-02-11 at 12:10 AM.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 11:59 PM   #29
TN_Bassin

Good assesment.
Old 09-02-11, 04:31 PM   #30
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
John, I would definitely volunteer, especially so if Anthony wants to help out. He is the great cook after all. I will try not to be such a zombie next time. I have to learn not to work so much and cut it so close leading up to vacation time.

Patoka (good sized lake, LMB, walleye, rare SMB...fishing can be tough, limited lodging)
Brookville (a little smaller than Patoka...LMB, good walleye, lots of SMB too, limited lodging)
Dale Hollow (huge...great SMB, good LMB, trout...yum, can be super tough...pretty decent lodging)
KY Lake (monstrous...best LMB, common SMB, stripers...a great numbers lake...size too...excellent lodging)
Lake Fork (because ya'll need to quit dicking around and come fish TX)

Let me make a suggestion
Old 09-02-11, 05:39 PM   #31
nofearengineer

Waffle, I'd love to fish Lake Fork, but I'm afraid the full body armor would interfere with my casting.

But seriously, I'm sure a lot of us would go there if you paid for gas haha. That's a LONG haul.
Old 09-02-11, 06:02 PM   #32
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Waffle, I'd love to fish Lake Fork, but I'm afraid the full body armor would interfere with my casting.

But seriously, I'm sure a lot of us would go there if you paid for gas haha. That's a LONG haul.
I think you're thinking of Falcon.
Old 09-02-11, 06:23 PM   #33
MississippiBoy

Quote:
6-ish hours for me, about the same as KY Lake or Guntersville.
Old 09-02-11, 06:33 PM   #34
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
I think you're thinking of Falcon.
Doh! You're right.

Still...11 hours and 50 gallons of gas....each way. Compared to that, Alabama was just a short excursion.

Oddly enough, I've always wanted to go to that Crater of Diamonds place for a day...it's right on the way to Lake Fork...

Last edited by nofearengineer; 09-02-11 at 06:54 PM.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 10:34 PM   #35
Bassboss

Quote:

Brookville would probably work best for us, sounds like a good lake to fish too, walleyes (TASTY!! ) and lots of smallies.
Old 09-02-11, 11:43 PM   #36
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

You guys could always do Table Rock. Big largemouth, smallmouth, spots, and meanmouth along with big crappie, walleye, and catfish. Plus whitebass, trout, paddlefish, and some others I'm sure I'm forgetting. Plenty of water, lots of places to stay, and some nearby attractions for anyone bringing their significant other that may not want to fish the entire time. Just a thought.
I have only fish Patoka once and I would never go back unless it was for a tournament. I was there for a regional BASS Weekend Series tournament as a co-angler. First place for 3 days for the co-angler was 10lbs, pro side was barely 30 with 100+ guys on each side. I caught 3 bass in 2 days fishing with one keeper and almost made the top 25 with a 2 1/2 pound fish. It may be a good lake at times but I would think you would probably want to stick to a lake that is at least decent even when it's at it's worst.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-11, 10:28 PM   #37
bamabassman

jsut a little note, the further north oyu go, the late i think oyu could hold it. date wise i mean. weather in the spring can be ify at best. it was decent weatehr wise at wheeler, but fishing up norht oyu could have a later date than we had at wheeler, give the kiddos a better chance of attending this time. liek after ALL schools are out.
Old 09-04-11, 10:39 PM   #38
bassboogieman

Quote:
Still...11 hours and 50 gallons of gas....each way. Compared to that, Alabama was just a short excursion.
Really? 850 miles and 16 hours of driving for me to go to Alabama. AND, I did it twice in 6 weeks. Man up NFE, you're still a young-un!

Actually, I will have to give serious consideration regarding the distance next year. This year has really dampened my enthusiasm for traveling long distances to catch a few, not-so-big bass. Two trips to Alabama with less than fabulous fishing and last week at Kerr was a complete bomb. Fishing is never guaranteed and I fully understand that, but time of year, lake conditions as well as distance and expense (fixed income, y'know) will be considered carefully before I commit to any more trips.

So pick a tempting lake, to make the travel worth while.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 09-04-11 at 10:46 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-11, 10:45 PM   #39
nofearengineer

Feel free to make some other suggestions!
Old 09-04-11, 10:56 PM   #40
MississippiBoy

I think Kentucky Lake or Dale Hollow would be our best shot at a centralized location. Too far south, the northern guys can't make it, too far west, we lose the East Coast crew, etc. Unless somebody puts together another get together, I really think we need to keep it in the TN/KY region.
Old 09-05-11, 11:35 AM   #41
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
I think Kentucky Lake or Dale Hollow would be our best shot at a centralized location. Too far south, the northern guys can't make it, too far west, we lose the East Coast crew, etc. Unless somebody puts together another get together, I really think we need to keep it in the TN/KY region.
I have to agree. This is a good central area for most of our members. I didn't make it to the Kentucky Lake get together but I hear nothing but possitives about it. Perhaps going to the same place as the last KY get together. If I remember right, I think each cabin had it's own pier. That wouold be handy for the boat owners.
Old 09-05-11, 11:39 AM   #42
bamabassman

kentucky lake had a boat slip, very resonable too. so if it were me deciding or voting....i'd say let's go back to kentucky lake. BUT THIS time AFTER the springs rains. fishing was hard with water up 8 feet above normal. maybe a later date? don't know much if anything about the holler. are there campsites? lodging? baot slips? if so, post up what they got to accomadate a crew of OUR wrecking magnitude, lol.

ya'll are givng me chill bumps and it ain't even cold yet. yes i am ITCHING already for the event.
Old 09-05-11, 11:45 AM   #43
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

at dale, horse creek lodge. 35 bucks a night. boat slips. south end of the lake. a little run down, but youre just fishing.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 11:56 AM   #44
lilmule

Ky lake average fish at 15 in(keeper) is normally hair over 2lbs,smallies its a 15 in length as well as ky lake is exempt from the 18 over the rest of Tn isnt .
Smallies and spots generally just come with the largies if fishing the main or in spring in bays.
More than just fishtale lodge plenty of places to stay http://www.freewebs.com/kylaketn/localinfo.htm
I live about 6 min away from paris landing ramp,but sort of biased since I live here.
It is however a big water lake with shallow center,considerable rough water at times.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 08:20 PM   #45
nofearengineer

Quote:
kentucky lake had a boat slip, very resonable too. so if it were me deciding or voting....i'd say let's go back to kentucky lake. BUT THIS time AFTER the springs rains. fishing was hard with water up 8 feet above normal. maybe a later date? don't know much if anything about the holler. are there campsites? lodging? baot slips? if so, post up what they got to accomadate a crew of OUR wrecking magnitude, lol.

ya'll are givng me chill bumps and it ain't even cold yet. yes i am ITCHING already for the event.
John,

Dale Hollow has a couple of good spots to stay. Starpoint Resort, the place Woody set up last year was really nice...covered slips, quiet....our room was FANTASTIC. The only "bad" thing about Starpoint is it's up the lake a ways.

Horse Creek marina is near the dam, and like Embrey says, is also a good spot. That's where I did so well this May.
The cottages look nice, they have covered slips, and the rates are good too.
http://www.horsecreek-resort.com/cottages.php

Since I haven't stayed at KY Lake before, maybe someone else can chime in on that. KY Lake is huge...there's probably dozens of places to stay.
Old 09-05-11, 09:37 PM   #46
bamabassman

bryce..yu and anthony are the hosts. so it's YOUR call as where it will take place pal. lol. not trying to convince oyu either way. oyu and anthony make the call this time.

if everyone agrees with ya'll to have it at the holler, then the holler it will be. oyu can take your time, we got plenty of it as of right now. the horsecreek looks wonderful by the way.
Old 09-05-11, 11:28 PM   #47
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I'm down with the dogg pound. Never been able to make it due to work schedule, but hoping 3 is a charm.
Old 09-05-11, 11:45 PM   #48
TN_Bassin

http://www.eastport.info/
Up the lake another couple miles from Starpoint. Really nice cabins that sleep several (Up to 30). The cost per night split several ways can more than offset the cost. Only thing is, like Nofear said about Starpoint, Eastport is way up the lake, and is a bit of a run from the main lake.

Ky lake is literally strewn with places to stay. Paris itself has tons of lodging and most of it is boat friendly. IMO if you guys end up choosing KY of DH or the others mentioned, then somewhere around Paris would be the best place to stay. Like I said before, Paris Landing is right in the middle of everything, plus it's not a long drive over to Dyer's creek on Barkley.

Last edited by TN_Bassin; 09-05-11 at 11:56 PM.
TN_Bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 11:51 PM   #49
nofearengineer

Quote:
bryce..oyu and anthony are the hosts.
LOL...does Anthony know about this?
Old 09-06-11, 06:24 PM   #50
bamabassman

HAHAHAHA..............if he reads this he does. if not............oh well..........SURPRISE!!!!!

hey..........got an idea......let's not tell him and then come time for it.......make him do ALL the arrangements. hehehehehe.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.