Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 07-23-11, 10:42 AM   #1
SaminVa
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Replacement Trailer Tires

It's time for some repalcement tires for my boat trailer.... size is
ST 175/80D13

Looked at Carlisle & Goodyear Marathons.. had local dealer order 2 Goodyear Marathons... should get them put on this Tues.

Reviews are mixed between the 2 brands.. what are your thoughts.
It seems that proper tire inflation, matching weight of the boat/trailer to the tire specs & not going over 65mph is key.
Most of my traveling is local, but 2-3 times a month travel about 1.5 hours away & about once a year go 3 hours away.

What do you have & like?
Old 07-23-11, 11:15 AM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I ran Marathons on my old trailer for 3 years (don't know how long they were on the trailer when I got it) with no problems. I replaced them with Carlisle, last fall as a precautionary measure, so I only ran them a couple months (with a 435 mile trip to Canada). Then I replaced my trailer, you may have seen my posting about the tires that came on it. I took them off after returning from the Wheeler get-together in Alabama (May) and put the Carlise tires on the new trailer. Haven't had any problems since, and I have a trip comming up to Kerr at the end of August, we'll see how they hold up on a long interstate highway trip.

I think you'll do fine with the Marathons, keeping your highway speeds below 65 is a REALLY good idea, especially since you have a single axle trailer.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 01:02 PM   #3
Bender

Knock on wood, I haven't had too much trouble with the Marathon's on my trailer. I am now keeping them up around 60-65 psi but I drive fast. I had one that gave out after 2.5 years but I saw the sidewall looking funny and stopped. When I pulled over the tread had separated from the tire. With new ones on there now I have towed many thousands of miles without issues since I have moved MI>Upstate NY>MS>MI plus all the trips to Pickwick, G'Ville, and other fishing spots about 4 hours away. I do think that next time I will og with Carlisle though since they are rated for higher speeds I think.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 02:33 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The last two boats I have had both had Marathons on them. My last boat had two of them blow out for now reason. I always kept them aired up a little past maximum air pressure for the tires and the tread looked like the tires were brand new. I did the same with my Triton which I own now and although they also look brand new and were never under inflated I still had the cords seperate on one of them. Just last week I got 5 new Carlisles put on and I am only a week into owning them so I can't say much about them other than I have better peace of mind now that I did with the Marathons.

It was touched on in a post above but if you go with Marathons keep in mind that they are not rated for highway speeds. They are only rated for 60mph and Goodyear says to over inflate them if you are driving above 60 mph.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 07:03 PM   #5
Captmikestarrett

I just replaced my bias plys with radials.. it feels better on the road.. for a POS BassPro Trailer..
My service record on the trailer that came with my Mako is as follows:
4 sets of bearings
2 sets of brake pads
4 sets of lugs
one lost tire and rim.
retractable safty cables rusted shut
rust everywhere...

4 years old...

Replaced all lights with led as an upgrade.

Capt Mike
Old 07-28-11, 02:31 PM   #6
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Like any other automotive item, there will be good and bad batches or potential for problems with any tire regardless of brand or cost.

One thing to look at is the tire type:

Bias ply (usually size is shown in metrics like 4.80x8 or 5.30x12) have a required running pressure which they must run at (like my current ones require 60 psi). Going more than 10% under or 5% over will cause early tire failure. I tend to keep my boat trailer tires around 55 psi so it isn't as bouncy, yet on my popup camper since it is a lot closer to max weight, I keep them as close to max 60 psi as possible, and the spare at its max of 80 psi. Bias ply are fine on trailers that are not used a lot, and tend to have a stiffer ride, but also less prone to excessive trailer sway.

Radials, typically 3 number part sizes (such as 175-80R13), have a recommended pressure rating which depends on weight. The closer the trailer or vehicle is to max weight, the closer to max pressure you keep them when traveling. Radials tend to work better on trailers that travel a decent amount, and/or longer trips. They tend to have a bit softer ride but that softness can at times cause excessive sway if the tow vehicle is too light or under powered, or too much weight with not enough tire pressure.

The problem is that some people think their bias ply trailer tires are the same as the radials on their car/truck, so they run them at 30-40 psi when it requires anywhere from 55 to 80 psi, or worse, they never check the pressure and since it is not "flat" they don't bother checking it.

I have had cheap "$100 per tire"setups on my main car/truck last 80,000 miles and expensive tires last 20,000 miles. Same goes for trailer tires.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.