Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-13-11, 07:11 PM   #1
Mikekw3
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Mikekw3
Default Jig fishing with a spinning rod.

When is it necessary to fish a jig on a spinning setup. I have always used them on baitcasters, but I sometimes see guys using them on spinning gear.
Mikekw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 07:27 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It's never necessary for me to fish a jig on spinning gear. The smallest jig that I use is a 3/16oz finesse jig which I can cast just fine on casting gear with 15lb Flourocarbon. I know some guys use jigs like 1/8oz. hair jigs or the like, and in those situations I could see using spinning gear but for the jigs I use I have no need for spinning gear.
Old 02-13-11, 07:37 PM   #3
Kicksomebass
BassFishin.Com Member

the only time i could even imagine it is on completely vertical presentations in very deep water... simply because a spinning reel can free spool and get deep... other then that i cant imagine throwing a jig with a spinning setup.
Kicksomebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 08:39 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The only jigs I throw on a spinning rod are hair jigs and very light jigs I can't throw on my Daiwa Sol, which is pretty light.

BB
Old 02-13-11, 09:03 PM   #5
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Agree with the rest. Don't think it's ever "necessary" to use spinning gear. Though, on occasion when skipping docks with finesse jigs I do use a spinning setup.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 12:25 AM   #6
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I only do with light jigs (1/4 and under) when using light line. 6, 7, and 8# line is on my spinning rigs but I know some guys go down to 4# in the clear water up north.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 01:26 PM   #7
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

I fish lakes that sometimes have 20+ vis. I dont ever think its necessary, but I do think it can be preferred. Like bender stated when I am fishing a jig 1/4 or under I prefer spinning. My reasons being I feel I have more sensitivity with my spinning gear, the use of light line.
Old 02-14-11, 01:35 PM   #8
Bassboss

like others have said, I'll use them on spinning gear when they're real light, and when I need light line. Otherwise a baitcaster's just better.
Old 02-14-11, 04:23 PM   #9
Raul

When ? well you can fish with spinning gear pretty much everything so when ---> whenever you want. I fish jigs with either spinning or baitcasting gear and size/weight pretty much donŽt rule with what kind of setup I fish them because I have rods going from UL all the way up to H in both.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 06:26 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
When ? well you can fish with spinning gear pretty much everything so when ---> whenever you want. I fish jigs with either spinning or baitcasting gear and size/weight pretty much donŽt rule with what kind of setup I fish them because I have rods going from UL all the way up to H in both.
Raul I agree that you can fish jigs on spinning gear whenever you want because there is equipment out there that will accomodate it. But I think in Mikes question, the key word is "necessary". And there are very few situations when it would be necessary to use spinning gear.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 06:41 PM   #11
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
Agree with the rest. Don't think it's ever "necessary" to use spinning gear. Though, on occasion when skipping docks with finesse jigs I do use a spinning setup.
You took my first thought right out of my head Cam. Skipping a jig is one time that it may be adventatious to use spinning tackle provided it is the right setup. Skipping with casting gear is not the easiest thing to do. But with spinning tackle it should be much easier.
Old 02-15-11, 01:36 PM   #12
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

This depends on how "necessary" you mean. You could get by bass fishing with all spinning or all casting gear but I think you'd miss out to some level either way. I prefer spinning tackle for finesse presentations with light line and skip casts.
Old 02-15-11, 03:29 PM   #13
Raul

Ok, when, it depends on how well your thumb is educated cuz to skip under obstructions with a baitcaster requires a trained thumb and a very polished casting technique or ...... this is how youŽll look like when you see that monster backlash ---> , then ---> and later ---->
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 04:50 PM   #14
3dkicker

Spinning gear (and spin casting) will allow you to get a true vertical presentation as the jig will drop straight down when it hits the water if you leave the bail open. With baitcasting gear, unless you're able to free spool extra line out, the bait will swing away from the intended target.
Woo Daves gives a good demonstration of using spin casting for this reason pitching into grass in one of his DVD's.
Old 02-16-11, 09:23 PM   #15
Kicksomebass
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Spinning gear (and spin casting) will allow you to get a true vertical presentation as the jig will drop straight down when it hits the water if you leave the bail open. With baitcasting gear, unless you're able to free spool extra line out, the bait will swing away from the intended target.
Woo Daves gives a good demonstration of using spin casting for this reason pitching into grass in one of his DVD's.

i do have to say i agree with this... but i still wouldnt really use spinning gear for a jig, unless i'm river fishing with a small bait (1/4 oz).
Kicksomebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 09:29 AM   #16
fiker
BassFishin.Com Member

For me, necessary would be when skipping the jig, or if the wind is so bad that I can't cast into it the way I want to. If I'm spending too much time dealing with over runs, I'm switching to spinning gear.
fiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.