Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-28-09, 05:01 PM   #1
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Skipping with a baitcaster? How???

Been enjoying the Senko rod thread, but now have a question: Some of the guys posting there talk about skipping with a baitcaster. I didn't want to hijack the thread, so thought I would start another one:
I do not see how anyone can skip a bait using a baitcaster: As soon as the bait hits the water, even if it does skip, I would think the momentum would slow down so fast it would guarantee a backlash.
On the other hand, I would LOVE to be able to do so: any and all "how to" advice would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Dave
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 05:10 PM   #2
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I skip a jig with a baitcaster. That's about it. You have to have your settings correct and use the right jig. Two handed roll cast and let it rip. Use your thumb well and it works. Be ready for a nasty backlash if you don't do it right.

Senko's? Good luck to you with that. Maybe if you have the right rod and a very good reel set very well you might get away with it. I don't think I've ever seen a pro skip a senko with a baitcaster.
Old 09-29-09, 08:51 AM   #3
BeaverIslander

I've been trying to teach myself this for the last few weeks. It's not as easy as it looks, but what an asset it will be when I get the hang of it. My advice is try it when the water is dead calm and to bring a spool of new line and be prepared to cut out a backlash or two and respool.

Learning this might cost a few bucks in wasted line.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 10:20 AM   #4
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I am not talented enough to even attempt it with a baitcaster when a spinning reel would work. I have dealt with enough professional overruns without tempting the fates.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 11:45 AM   #5
cassidyta

Much like learning to cast a bait caster, I suggest to start off with the brakes and tension as tight as you can get it and still cast.

I also suggest spooling with a cheap line that you don't mind having to cut off. Once you can consistently cast with that setup, then start loosening breaks and tension until you can master it with the bait of choice.

I can skip frogs fairly consistently, but not sure how I would do with a senko.
Old 09-29-09, 01:14 PM   #6
DaveW731

Default Thanks for the confirmation

I THOUGHT it would be difficult and, cheapskate and coward that I am, I think I will follow AuFred's example. To you gents who are braver and more skilled than I, you have my deepest respect!
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 02:32 PM   #7
BassMoJo

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Upon the cast, get your bait as close to the water as possible and use your thumb.
Old 09-29-09, 10:05 PM   #8
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hi Dave. I wanted to tell ya a little story and maybe give you a bit of encouragement. One lake I fish has a pedestrian bridge that is about 3 foot above water level. I really wanted to make a few casts well behind it by whipping the spinnerbait under the bridge as far back as I could. And yes, I said spinnerbait. My fist cast I whipped it low and under the bridge. To my suprise, the spinnerbait sorta skidded along the waters surface several feet behind the bridge. I did this by accident and was quite suprised. So I actually tried to make it skip again, and it did. I was suprised at how easily it was done. However, it wasnt without any backlash issues either. But I was able to quickly adjust and decrease the backlash problem to minor amounts. I would do as cass suggested and spool up with cheep line to practice with. Go to the lake at a time you do not plan to fish and just practice skipping from shore. I have found the larger Spro frog skips pretty easily. You might want to use that as your first practice bait for skipping.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 02:14 PM   #9
Raul

Well, as in most things in this life once you understand the basics ( reel settings, casting technique, rod position to release the bait nīsuch ) all you got left to achieve the art of skipping without getting a munster backlash is to practice Daniel san.

Wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off --> all cars.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 12:28 AM   #10
chubs

I know that this is a old post but I have to add a little.
Here's an easy way to stop from having to replace all your line on your B/C when practicing simlple cast out your bait and put a small piece of tape on your spool and reel the line back in,your backlash know will only go to the tape and will only take a few seconds to pick out.
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 09:45 AM   #11
jasonfish320

A word of advice: start practicing using a large tube (4.5") and as mentioned here before put your brakes on and turn your tension knob up... also, I have had much better luck using a higher test mono then fluoro, especially when practicing, when the fluoro gets tangled or knots it tends to break more easily then the mono...good luck
Old 12-08-09, 09:56 AM   #12
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

There are only a few lures you can skip. I really only skip a jig and a frog. I recently started skipping a swimbait. The lures have to have a lot of surface area and weigh a good bit or you wont be able to skip them. I have skipped senkos they arent easy though. You just really have to whip it and keep some tension on the spool with you thumb. Just do a roll cast and slowly keep lifting up on the rod as if you are trying to give it a softer presentation. I wouldnt make the brakes as tense as you can but make them tenser.
Old 12-08-09, 07:26 PM   #13
RichZ
BassFishin.Com Member

I was Bryan Kerchal's press observer on the 2nd day of his Classic victory. He skipped a Texas rigged Culprit worm with a 3/16 oz weight (not pegged) all day long. And half the time, he did it while pitching!

I was stunned by his mechanical skill with the tools of the trade. At the time of that Classic, the kid had maybe 4 years of experience with a bait caster. I've got almost 50, and I still can't do what he was doing.
RichZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 04:30 PM   #14
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

The funny thing is the harder you throw it the easier it skips I really pitch my lures with a lot of force so they skip easier same with casting.
Old 12-13-09, 08:50 PM   #15
BeaverIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichZ View Post
I was Bryan Kerchal's press observer on the 2nd day of his Classic victory. He skipped a Texas rigged Culprit worm with a 3/16 oz weight (not pegged) all day long. And half the time, he did it while pitching!

I was stunned by his mechanical skill with the tools of the trade. At the time of that Classic, the kid had maybe 4 years of experience with a bait caster. I've got almost 50, and I still can't do what he was doing.
I saw someone on a local lake who was pretty good at skipping while pitching. I watched him for a bit and had caught a couple nice bass accurately skipping a black frog under docks and pontoons.

Looked like he was using a MH 6' casting setup with braid.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.