Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 09-06-11, 12:28 AM   #1
Henke
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Clarks Hill Reservoir ... 36 years ago today ...

Hope everyone had a good Holiday weekend. I was just sitting here reminiscing and came across a wild memory that happened 36 years ago today.

It was the Jerry Lewis telethon weekend ( "75" ) and I was staying with a friend and his family at their lake house on Clarks Hill. We lived down the road a piece in Martinez Ga..

Anyway, they had a 12' Jon with a 5 hp something clamped on not being used tied up at their dock. Early that Monday morning their youngest son, my age, ( 13 or 14 ) asked me did I want to take a long boat ride ( a two 5 gallon portable gas tanks and a case of 2 cycle oil including $20.00 cash BOAT RIDE. ) on the little Jon, of course I said yep ! ( Thank God we packed sandwiches for this journey. )

So at sunrise, we were idling out of the cove.

To make a real long story shorter, at sunset we were rescued by his parents on the one and only fresh water coast guard boat or something like it, that I have ever seen. I don't think we would have died but we sure would not have be home for 2-3 days.

If it can happen in a boat on a lake, then we got our tee shirt that weekend. Every time I hear the words Jerry Lewis, Labor Day etc. I think of that weekend, embedded forever.

Speaking of Clarks Hill, how is the water level hanging also how is the bass fishing nowadays? ( I read great reports 2-3 years ago, I believe it was ? ) I would love to drive back to Georgia to visit my childhood friends and do some fishing on a body of water that I have so many fond memories of.

Thanks for letting me share, Cliff
Old 09-06-11, 01:46 AM   #2
Henke
BassFishin.Com Member

Just did a little surfing on the web and found this, is this true ?

Named changed to J. Strom Thurmond Lake and water level is down 7.2 ft..

Bass fishing is fair. The percentage of anglers with a limit of Bass is still very slim.

Thanks in advance,

Cliff
Old 09-06-11, 11:11 AM   #3
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I was at Clark Hill in 1965. Ft. Gordon is close by. I remember then that they were pulling humongous catfish out of the lake. It is still a pretty place.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 11:23 PM   #4
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My wife is a native of Martinez, I have fished it off and on since 91...seems pretty much the same other than more boats focused on crappie, white bass and such.
Old 09-16-11, 04:44 PM   #5
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

I fished it this spring and caught over 70 largemouth but no big 'ns. water was a ft high when i was there and cover was plentyfull.
Old 09-18-11, 10:03 AM   #6
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Bout 98% of fishermen still call it clarks hill or just the "hill". I fish it and lake Murray the most, it's down now as someone mentioned earlier, but I've seen it down a lot more than that. It went into a mini- slump last year where it was TOUGH! But I won a night tournament there a month ago with a 5 and 1/2 lber and a 12 lb sack. So it's hit or miss really, the elites usually go in may when they're schooling, which means who can find the best school, when the local boy won last year (Jason Williamson) it was post schooling and others were having a hard time patterning. Just a lake that fluctuates in how good it is

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.