Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-25-08, 09:53 PM   #1
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default braid on spinning reels

can you put braid on spinning reels? how does it cast?do you hav't to use a leader?
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-08, 10:57 PM   #2
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You can absolutely spool braid on a spinning reel. I've been using PowerPro for a few years (25# green) and have had very few problems. After it "breaks in", it should cast better than mono or fluoro. As far as a leader, you'll get a thousand different opinions. I only use a leader if I'm throwing a Carolina-rig, dead sticking or float-n-fly. Any time you're around good cover or pretty stained water, you shouldn't need a leader. Also, this might help: Braid will cut you bone deep and quick. I usually wrap it around my arm (if wearing long sleeves) or a short piece of broom handle to break it off after getting snagged. Braid will dig into your spool if you pull too hard when snagged. And last, adjust your drag tension. Braid has no stretch so a sledgehammer hookset might jerk that bait out of that hawg's mouth (or literally rip it's mouth apart). I use the ol' Homer Circle-style snap hookset and have had very few problems.

Good luck with the line!

-Pig
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 02:41 AM   #3
vagabond

I use braid on my spinning reels. The only problem that I've had was with ten pound test braid. I think it was too fine and for some reason the reel wouldn't always bring it in if there was resistance...snag or a fish. Sometimes it worked fine and sometimes not at all. I don't know if it was my reel or not but after I switched to heavier line I didn't have that problem any more.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 10:15 AM   #4
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

ABSOLUTELY!
I use 15# and 20# Power Pro and double uni knot about 4-5' of Seaguar Carbon Pro Flourocarbon leader 10# to 12#, for Shakey head, drop shot, slider and other finesse presentations. Lake Allatoona has about 7-8' clarity (most of the time) and that combination works great! Until you get the line broke in, Reel Magic helps a bunch, but after a couple of outings the line is super supple and cast beautifully. It is almost (not completely) twist free, you will get spoiled quickly with this set up.
Old 05-26-08, 12:54 PM   #5
3dkicker

I've got it on two of mine, Power pro and Fireline crystal. I know a lot of people don't like the Fireline but it takes a long time to wear in or soften. I use the P.P. for C-rigging, and I add a leader, or T-rigging plastics and creature baits in dirty water. I use the F.C. for horney toads and I don't think I've lost one that I've hooked up and my hook up ratio has improved since switching to it.
Old 05-26-08, 10:42 PM   #6
Stinkies Daddy

I'm pretty new here and usually keep my big mouth shut, but, this is right up my alley! Every thing these guys is true! it has no stretch, deff adjust your drag! there is a break in period so be prepared for wind knots, dont screw with them by reeling them back in the spool and they will come right out. Braid will cut you to the bone. keep something handy to pull free from snags, but not a rod handle, braid will go thru it like butter and ruin the rod!Braid is very expensive so i use a cheaper line on the spool as a backer and attach the braid with a nail knot. If you choose to go braid all the way to the barrel of the spool use the white tape that holds to tag end of the manafactures spool that is what the white tape is for. braid will lose its color over time do not dispare, just get a colored sharpie and with siccors split the pointy tip then reel your braid thru the split and good as new. Braid knots will slip i think and its just my oppinion that the palomar knot is the best knot for Braid, also i think and again its just my oppinion that Power Pro is by far the best on the market. Braid may cost a lil more to start with but will pay for itself in the long run!

Heres another tip: " when using light wire hooks you can heat the bend of the hook to remove some of the temper with out loosing any hook set power. heating the bend will make a hell of alot easier to get free from tough snags ans with your needle nose pliers you can bend the hook back in shape
Old 05-26-08, 10:57 PM   #7
tnfisherman

i like braid on spinning reels, i don't use a leader
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-08, 01:41 AM   #8
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Definitely. Handles fine on a spinning reel. I only use it for shakey head fishing with a fluoro leader, but it works great on a spinning reel. I use 30 lb-same diameter as 8 lb. mono/fluoro.
Old 05-27-08, 08:42 AM   #9
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

I know i like braid on my baitcaster.I just did'nt know if it would work on spinning reel. I do like power pro.Thanks for all the info.I will go ahead and put it on my reel.Thanks!
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 02:19 PM   #10
Fishnngolfn

What type of knot would be good for braided lines and where can I get a picture discription for tying knots? Thanks.

Nevermind. I found the sticky at the top of this forum and I also see where Stinkies Daddy said to use a palomer knot.

What would be a good knot to tie braided line to a spinner reel?

I know to use a palomer knot for the hook, but what about to the spool itself.

Also do I have to put the line on a certain way to prevent line coil or twist? I have never used braided line and I am thinking about switching.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 04:17 AM   #11
WallStreetAmigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post

What would be a good knot to tie braided line to a spinner reel?

I know to use a palomer knot for the hook, but what about to the spool itself.

Also do I have to put the line on a certain way to prevent line coil or twist? I have never used braided line and I am thinking about switching.

I don't tie braided line directly to the spool as it will slip no matter how well you tie it. I fill about a quarter of the spool with cheap monofilament with the same diameter as the power pro I'm using (for 20lb PP use 6lb mono, etc.). I then tie the braided line to the mono using a double uni knot. The mono acts as a cushion of sorts for the braid and also prevents the braid from slipping on the spool. Since it is extremely rare that you will ever get spooled or even down to the mono line fishing for bass, it is a great way to save a bit of money too - less braid on the spool.

I have never had any line twist problems with braided line. When spooling it on, test the line every few turns of the handle by giving it some slack. If it starts twisting, flip the line spool over and continue. I don't think you will have a problem with line twist. Remember that with braid, you should apply a lot of tension when spooling it on. You want it tight on the spool.

Oh, ya, the Palomar knot is the best fishing knot for most applications, but especially for braid.

I hope this helps.
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 11:38 PM   #12
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i like braid alot especially for topwatter

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.