Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-30-10, 09:36 PM   #1
Bottom Rig
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Budget Flipping Sticks

Greetings. I am looking for a budget flipping stick for flipping some grass but mostly heavy wood. Funds are limited so I am looking at:castaway go 2 7'6 XH fast 12-25 1/4-1 with 9 tip $99Abu garcia veritas 7'6 mh fast 12-25 3/8-1 1/4 with 9 tip $99lamiglas excel 7'11 H fast 15-30 1/2-2 with 9 tip $119fenwick hmg gt710h-mf 7'10 H 12-25 3/8-1 1/2 $119carrot stik ltx cltx-761-h-f-c 7'6 H fast 5/8-2 1/2 15-30 with 9 tip $99I don't want anything telescopic. I appreciate your input & recommendations if you prefer something else. Thanks.
Bottom Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-10, 09:58 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Let's see if I got this right...

Castaway 7'6" XH F
Abu Veritas 7'6" MH F
Lami Excel 7'11" H F
Fenwick HMG 7'10" H MF
Carrot Stik 7'6" H F

I haven't used any of these rods, but I have used the Abu Vendetta MH F that I use as a flipping stick. Although that rod is VERY versatile, and it can handle quite a bit.

Of the rods you've listed (without having used any of them) I'd go with the Abu Veritas or the Lamiglass Excel.

The only one that I definitely wouldn't buy would be the carrot stick. I know they claim to have fixed the problems with the rods, and with the company's customer service, but I'd rather not take a chance.

BB
Old 10-30-10, 10:47 PM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Lamiglass Excel, got excellent reviews, made in America and Limited Lifetime Warranty, with the option of a no questions asked return. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-10, 11:24 PM   #4
Jrob78

I would definitely go with the Lamiglas too. Great blanks and well made rods at a really good price. Made in the USA on top of that. I've never owned a Fenwick but I would probably take a look at that based on reputation alone.
Old 10-31-10, 09:10 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Actually, I'd look around at the Fenwick Elite Tech series of rods. Since they quit making them, you can find then pretty cheap. I've seen them from $85-$125 instead of the regular $200. I believe they offer both a 7'6" H and a 7'11" H flipping stick.

BB
Old 10-31-10, 09:51 AM   #6
Bottom Rig
BassFishin.Com Member

BB144 where have you seen the elite tech for that price. i am definately interested in that rod close to that price. Thanks.
Bottom Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 09:46 AM   #7
bassboogieman

WHY settle for a "budget" flippin' stick, when you can buy a QUALITY stick at "budget" prices. The Kistler Argon will be superior to ANY rod you'll find anywhere for $150 - $200. They are being closed out at prices bordering on insanity, by a reliable seller on ebay right now. $80 will get you a NEW w/tags rod that originally sold for $209 directly from Kislter. $80.00 - that's less than a Abu Vendetta or Veritas - and there is NO comparision in the quality, sensitivity, or strength of those sticks - absolutely NONE. This is the BEST deal on a quality rod ANYWHERE, and I'm astounded more individuals have not pounced on it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/KISTLER-ARGON-AF...item5d28cb0f2d
Yes, this is a telescopic handle rod, but you won't loose anything over a one piece rod and it's easier to store or transport. I have several with the the tele handle and I have no problems with them.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 10:49 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Bottom Rig, here's the links

7'6" H

7'11" H

Bassboogieman's suggestion about the Kistler Argon may be worth looking into as well. Again, an approximately $200 rod for around $100. I've never used either the Elite Tech or the Argon. I've gotten to handle a few different Elite Techs and they all felt pretty nice.

BB
Old 10-31-10, 02:36 PM   #9
bassinbob

You can trust the site for the Argons. I just got a finesse spinning Argon from them. Havent't tried it yet but for the money it can't be beat.
Old 10-31-10, 06:29 PM   #10
woody

Those Argon's are some sweet rods. I've been using a 7'1" HeavyCast that I got off of craig'slist this year for $85. From experience, this is a super sensitive rod with plenty of power for pulling 'em out of whatever cover your fishing. I wouldn't hesitate on buying another at that price.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 09:27 PM   #11
CMorg

+1 on the Kistler Argon. I have a bunch of Kistler rods , and the Argons are a great rod. Thats an excellent price.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 05:46 PM   #12
Mikekw3
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Mikekw3

Veritas is the best rod I ever owned. Definitely get it.
Mikekw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 06:43 PM   #13
dave0943
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've been eyeing the lamiglas XL 7'11. IAlso the 7'6 i beleive it was. I might pick up one in the spring OR SOONER. Then of course I'd have to add a reel! Possibly another PQ.or ? Boys, I think it's gonna be a long winter.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 07:21 PM   #14
Old Hooker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

A PQ would be nice.

A Revo S would be sweeter.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.