Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-11-10, 04:04 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Expensive Fishing Gear

I thought the thread about better rods or better reels was getting way off topic, so let's start a new discussion here.

Personally, I think fishing with more expensive gear is purely for enjoyment. Only to a point will using more expensive gear help you catch more fish (an example would be a more sensitive rod will help you detect more bites). People who think buying expensive gear will make them better fishermen are crazy. Only experience, dedication, and time on the water will make you a better fisherman.

Now, personally, I use the best gear I can afford because I enjoy using it, and maybe have more confidence in it. And we all know confidence is a big factor is fishing.

Another factor about using expensive gear is once you get used to it, it is harder to go back...

So, what do you guys think?

BB
Old 07-11-10, 04:41 PM   #2
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The ability to catch fish lies with what is between your ears and not your wallet. I spend most of my resources trying (this year) to learn what the habits of the prey fish are, and why bass are where they are. I like a rod I got on clearance for 40 bucks, I have 8 of them in case one breaks. They are all IM 7/6'6"/mh/f rods. I have 5 rigs with 5 different company's reels that were all on sale for less than 100 bucks, and I catch fish and I am happy with. The brand only really makes a difference to me, as many brands at many pricing points are pretty comparable to me. The ideal thing is to take the rod or reel you are buying, put it on a rod or reel at the store you are buying it at, and make sure it is both comfortable and balanced in your hands, then spend your hard earned money your way, and really asking others if this is better than that, in the end just starts brand wars, which are useless to all.
That being said
1. How you or anyone else spends their money is not my business. I am here to watch you and listen to you enjoy your stuff, i get a kick out of friends being happy.
2. I offer no opinions on stuff I have not used, other folks can read the reviews as well as I can, only first hand experience makes any difference to me. I can not and will not argue this brand is better than that brand or my favorite peeve; Hey Fellas here is a poll I have narrowed it down to 15 rods, if you have not gotten it down to two rods, you aint ready to start asking questions. this is followed by my next pet peeve, then the guy posts in 2 more weeks, ah I did not get that rod, here is another poll, GEEZZ!!
3. Brand wars are useless and I try not to read them or participate in them. After 40 years of fishing I know what I like, this does not give me a license to discredit what the next guy likes
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 05:14 PM   #3
BigBassin144

You make some good points Ebbets. It really doesn't matter to me what tackle people use. I find it interesting to see what others use and like.

Just one thing I hate is when people buy expensive gear and think it'll make them better.

And your second point reminds me of somebody...

And one last thing. Brand wars are pointless, but they are definitely fun especially when it's all in good fun with friends.

BB
Old 07-11-10, 05:18 PM   #4
Ebbetsguy

Hey BB: brand wars are like guys arguing about what Hollywood Babe is the hottest: what difference does it make you aint gettin near it anyway, but it can be fun thinkin about it
Old 07-11-10, 05:49 PM   #5
skeeter1804

I think it depends on what you consider expensive? I don't think $200 for a reel or $100 for a rod is expensive, I consider that middle of the road. That being said I use more middle of the road stuff than I do expensive stuff. I invest too much time in this sport to use a rod or reel I don't have confidence in.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 06:00 PM   #6
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Truthfully Anthony I buy what I can afford . Might not be the best but it does the job and i would jump up to higher end gear if the wallet would let me. I think if you went to the water with cheap gear or expensive gear you would catch fish either way . It just come down to putting your bait in the right place which is more of a skill set rather than something you can buy at the store . And as towards reel performance I'm a toolmaker I take them all apart and tinker around a bit cleaning edges and deburring different parts of the inside for a little better performance .

Jim
Old 07-11-10, 06:25 PM   #7
cassidyta

I think that there is a balancing act when it comes to gear. I do believe that longevity and warranty have to be a factor as well. A $100 item that lasts 3 years will beat out a $35 item that lasts 2. To an extent, there is usually better materials in higher priced items.
That being said, I have to agree with Skeeter, expensive is relative to the individual.
For me, it comes down to a business decision. Is a $100 rod better than a $50 dollar rod? Maybe, but is it twice as good?
Is a steelz 6 times better than a crucial? I for one will never know.
Old 07-11-10, 07:44 PM   #8
Jrob78

For the sake of this discussion we'll call fishing a job. Rods and reels are the tools used to do this job. Cheaper tools made with lesser components will get the job done. Tools made with better components and tighter tolerances will make getting that job done a little bit easier and more efficiently. Those better tools also happen to cost more.

You do reach a point of diminishing returns though, this is where the second factor comes in. We are all fishing enthusiasts, for some people it's strictly about catching fish, for others the associated gear is part of what makes fishing fun. There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone taking pleasure in appeasing the bait monkey, regardless of how expensive his tastes are.

I enjoy using the best gear I can afford. I've used my share of less expensive gear and I still caught fish, probably close to as many as I would have with the most expensive gear. I will echo what BB said, once you use nice reels and well balanced, light, sensitive rods it is really hard to go back.

Last edited by Jrob78; 07-11-10 at 09:12 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 07:47 PM   #9
nofearengineer

My take on expensive gear.

I agree with BB144 about expensive gear being for personal enjoyment. In my case, I simply decided I fished with enough Zebco 202's in my life, that I just want to fish with nice rods now. I have the money, and I like them. Personal thing.

However, I have another reason, and I'm sure the response will be a mixed bag. I pretty much suck at consistently catching good fish. I catch lots of dinks (sound familiar, John? ), and a 4-5 lb'er here and there, but I have still never caught a full limit of keepers since Indiana went to a 14" minimum many years ago. (My soon-to-not-be-favorite Patoka Lake is 15", and my local pit is 18"...NOT FAIR!!!) That's pretty pathetic, I know, but I keep trying.

Here's where the nice gear comes into play. As I work at it, I can now say with 100% confidence that my gear is not, nor has it ever been at fault. So I will definitely know I have achieved something when I start catching good fish.
Old 07-11-10, 08:08 PM   #10
WTL

...is a disease....as evidenced by some peoples preoccupation with it.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 09:15 PM   #11
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I thought the thread about better rods or better reels was getting way off topic, so let's start a new discussion here.

Personally, I think fishing with more expensive gear is purely for enjoyment. Only to a point will using more expensive gear help you catch more fish (an example would be a more sensitive rod will help you detect more bites). People who think buying expensive gear will make them better fishermen are crazy. Only experience, dedication, and time on the water will make you a better fisherman.

BB
Totally agree Biggins! When I was using my Bill Dance reel for a while while my JML was out of commission , and before I got my viento, I don't I caught any less fish than I did before! It's just a lot more enjoy able having a better reel.
Old 07-11-10, 09:42 PM   #12
bassboogieman

Expensive is relative. Some may consider my equipment expensive, others may think it's mid-level. I really don't care what others may think, I purchase what I like and it works for me. I don't buy it because it's "expensive", I buy my rods for the features I'm looking for, same goes for the reels. I've gone the gamut from department store combo's to what I currently use. I have realized the difference between inexpensive and quality equipment. I like using the latter but has it made me a better fisherman - not really, but I ENJOY my fishing more with my current combos.

The other point - a lot of guys that downplay the importance of "quality/expensive" equipment haven't really fished with the higher end stuff, and really don't realize what a difference it can make. As was said above - fish with some of the "higher end" gear, and you WON'T go back. I've been there, done it, upgraded my stuff numerous times, until now finally, I KNOW what works for me.

I've put my rods in the hands of others during a day of fishing - and for the most part, they are amazed at the difference in feel while working a bait, casting, detecting a bite or fighting a fish from what they are used to using. I do so for them to experience - first hand - the difference so they can form their own opinions as to what they may wish to purchase in the future.

And I don't mean to push my particular brand preference, there are MANY terrific rods and reels out there. I've found a brand of both rod & reel that I LIKE, they've served me well over several years, and I won't be changing anything any time soon. I've suggested my brand of rod and reels to a few people, and not yet has anyone said I've steered them wrong although certainly not everyone will agree that my preferences meet their needs perfectly, and they keep searching. But at least they've tried something considered "high end" and they can set a benchmark.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 09:46 PM   #13
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I've suggested my brand of rod and reels to a few people, and not yet has anyone said I've steered them wrong
Whatever, Boogie......those Kistlers you hounded me into buying are total crap.

HAHA.....riiiight. Those rods kick butt. I was T-rigging a worm today, and thought to myself "wow....I can feel every little bump in the bottom."
Old 07-11-10, 10:44 PM   #14
Ebbetsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
For the sake of this discussion we'll call fishing a job. Rods and reels are the tools used to do this job.

Ah Diversity, this is why equipment does not mean as much to me as many here

for me FISHING IN THE ULTIMATE ANTI_JOB, since fishing is not a contest for me, I have nothing to win at, it is a way more laid back thing for me.
Old 07-12-10, 01:13 AM   #15
basshunter21

I believe with most things you get what you pay for. I think by buying better/more expensive tackle and equipment only helps you to a certain point. And from there your experience and knowledge take over from there. When it comes to buying tackle and rods/reels I try to buy the very best that I can afford. For instance I just bought my first bait caster, I bought a citica and st croix rod. Ya I know I could of went for alot cheaper combo for my first one, but I enjoy using quality products for everything I do. I think it gives you more confidence, just like it does wearing nice brand name clothes. But all in all I think expensive equipment only helps you to a certain point.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 05:44 AM   #16
bassboogieman

Quote:
Whatever, Boogie......those Kistlers you hounded me into buying are total crap.

Yeah, right. I also remember how much you HATE the reel too.

I can only suggest and give an honest opinon on the stuff I use, and those that choose to try something I've suggested then have to decide if they like it or not. In Bryce's case, it worked out for him, that makes me happy I could help out in some small way. And the Monkey kickbacks keeps me in lures....
Old 07-12-10, 09:42 AM   #17
Jrob78

Quote:
The other point - a lot of guys that downplay the importance of "quality/expensive" equipment haven't really fished with the higher end stuff, and really don't realize what a difference it can make.
Agreed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbetsguy View Post
Ah Diversity, this is why equipment does not mean as much to me as many here

for me FISHING IN THE ULTIMATE ANTI_JOB, since fishing is not a contest for me, I have nothing to win at, it is a way more laid back thing for me.
I agree with your statement as well. Fishing is the ultimate anti-job! I merely used that example to illustrate a point.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 05:35 PM   #18
geezer1

Quote:

I've put my rods in the hands of others during a day of fishing - and for the most part, they are amazed at the difference in feel while working a bait, casting, detecting a bite or fighting a fish from what they are used to using. I do so for them to experience - first hand - the difference so they can form their own opinions as to what they may wish to purchase in the future.
I've done the same thing, for the same reasons, with the same results. Watching the light come on is absolutely priceless.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 05:42 PM   #19
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer1 View Post
I've done the same thing, for the same reasons, with the same results. Watching the light come on is absolutely priceless.
I've seen the same glow in the eyes of a heroin dealer, after he gives a kid his first freebie.
Old 07-12-10, 05:54 PM   #20
geezer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I've seen the same glow in the eyes of a heroin dealer, after he gives a kid his first freebie.
As the dealer, or as the kid?
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 06:15 PM   #21
nofearengineer

Quote:
Dude....Nancy Reagan taught me to just say "no".
Old 07-12-10, 06:20 PM   #22
Jim80

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Dude....Nancy Reagan taught me to just say "no".

I am gonna be good and leave that whole line of comments alone

Jim
Old 07-12-10, 07:15 PM   #23
Rebbasser

Do you need expensive gear? Not really.

Does it make fishing more enjoyable? IMO it sure does.

It all depends on how often you fish. If you fish once or twice a year it probably does not matter since you don't know the difference. If you fish once or twice a week you bet it makes a difference. A light, sensitive graphite rod is much more enjoyable to fish with than a 25 year old fiberglass rod that weighs 3 times as much.

It is like any hobby: The more you participate in it, the better equipment you want to have because better equipment makes it more enjoyable.
Old 07-13-10, 07:25 AM   #24
bassboogieman

Quote:
HA!, haven't you been reading NFE's posts lately?
He has SO MUCH disposable income lately, he must have found a new ready source of cash.
Yeah, just poking him again. But seriously, the look is priceless as mentioned above - until that is you tell them how much you paid - then it might dim just a little. But it does open the thought process when considering how you want to spend your hard earned money. I'd much rather buy one good rod two or three times a year and build over time, rather than buy less expensive and build more quickly just to have a locker full of rods immediately. That may not work for everyone, but it sure works for me.
Old 07-13-10, 09:54 AM   #25
BigBassin144

Quote:
I'd much rather buy one good rod two or three times a year and build over time, rather than buy less expensive and build more quickly just to have a locker full of rods immediately. That may not work for everyone, but it sure works for me.
I completely agree! After I started with a lower end baitcaster 3 years ago, I decided the same thing. I could have had a full arsenal that year, but decided to wait, save my money, and buy better gear. While I still don't have a full arsenal, I'm happier with my gear than I would have been if I went and got a bunch of cheaper rods and reels in one day.

Another thing aside from performance is durability. I'd much rather buy a $200 reel that will last me 8-10 year than a $50 reel I may need to replace every couple.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.