Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 10-27-11, 08:17 AM   #1
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Line Counters

Line counters for the most part seem to be for trolling, (I don't troll). I bought one to use respooling reels, makes it easier to know exactly how much line I'm using instead of guessing.

But why do they seem to all count backwards? Surely there has to be a logical explanation to this mystery. Even if I were trolling I would personally want to know that my bait was down 12' and not that I had 988' of line to go. I can't find any reason for it, does anyone else?

Also if so please suggest a counter for purchase that might better suit the wanted application and preferably count forwards.
Old 10-27-11, 12:13 PM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If it is the Rapala one that mounts on your rod then just turn it around the other direction. I think that they are designed so that you know how much line you are letting out of your reel so you know how far back your baits are. I bought one for the same reason as you but it got to be too difficult to keep track of how much of what diameter line each reel holds.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-11, 09:45 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

It only counts backwards when you're reeling it in, as you're taking in line. If being used for their intended purpose (trolling), it would start at 0' and increase as you let line out. Then, when you start reeling line back in, it counts backwards to zero. So Bender's solution of just turning it around should work if you have one you can turn around.

As for knowing the amount of each diameter line. If I'm not mistaken, it shouldn't be to hard to figure out using the following formula:

Spool capacity/diameter of stated test line = x/diameter of line used

Solve for x.

However, there are a few problems with that. First, most baitcaster list their capacity using 12lb test. What is the diameter of 12lb test? You'd have to determine an average for some common mono lines to use as the "diameter of stated test line." Second, is the manufacturer's specification for line cap. correct? I wouldn't find it hard to believe if a manufacturer found the capacity to be 136yds and decided to just round up to 140. Finally, you'd have to know how accurate the diameter rating of the line you're putting on the reel is. Not all manufacturers are honest here either. It makes their lines look better if they shave a little off the diameter.

BB
Old 10-29-11, 10:17 AM   #4
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

trolling line counter reels start at zero and let you know how much line you have let out. You could use one for spooling reels, as long as you were using the same line. Start by using the line counter reel to remove old line from a reel. The counter will count backwards from zero. When the old line is removed, take it off the line counter reel and then use the line counter reel to roll up that exact same amount off of your bulk spool of new line, then transfer it to the reel that you took the old line off of. This would only be worth doing all that for reels that use a backing to fill half or more of the spool. I do the same ting with my reels that use braid. I only put about 50 yds of braid over a backing, but if you are trying to split a 150 yd spool into 3 reels, you need to be able to measure the backing and braid exactly. It's a lot of work, but can save a lot of money.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.