Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-02-06, 03:21 AM   #1
FishinBrotha
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Good deal on boat?

It's a 1992 Tracker Tx-17 pro style bass boat.

Tracker TX-17 17' Pro-Style Aluminum Bass Boat
Professionally serviced and tuned. With big 60 HP engine, it's very fast.
Original Trailstar trailer, w/new tires, spare, complete lighting.
60 HP Evinrude Tracker engine, w/new modular prop and original (spare) prop. Power tilt and trim on the throttle, and at the forward foot control panel.
Forward-mounted battery powered trolling motor w/foot contols.
Fully instrumented cockpit w/new "Eagle" Fish Finder and Sonar.
Electric power-fill wet well and bilge pump. Light standards for night nav.
New batteries w/quick connects and automatic charger.
Four seats, incl two pedastals for relaxing fishing. Many storage compartments.
New anchor and chain on 150' nylon rope, w/storage reel. New 100' tow rope, dock lines, and fenders--even a water ski set-up!.
Complete equipment, incl spares, emergency supplies, and life jackets.
New heavy-duty custom blue poly storage and travel cover. ($400 worth)
Current registrations. Nothing to "do" or "buy".
This complete package is ready to launch and go fishing. Batteries charged, and a full tank of fuel. Bring your own tackle.

Now the asking price is $5000, I'm very new to the boat game and it seems like a good deal but I don't have a lot to compare it to so I figure I'd ask the guys who know their stuff

Thanks in advance.
FishinBrotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-06, 05:48 AM   #2
fishin_dude
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Sounds like a great deal. I would jump on it if everything was in good shape and in working order.
Old 04-02-06, 04:26 PM   #3
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

that sounds like a really good deal, if i had the money i'd probably take that deal if it was around here.
Old 04-03-06, 04:05 PM   #4
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If it all works, grab it. Around here, a boat like that would go for between 7 and 9 thousand.
Old 04-04-06, 02:18 AM   #5
FishinBrotha
BassFishin.Com Member

Well he has a potential buyer so I'm on hold until this weekend

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate it.

Nada said it was like 2300 but I couldn't believe that would have been the worth.
Old 04-04-06, 07:12 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

They arent high end boats to begin with and you also have to remeber that this rig even though it hasnt many hours on it is still 14 years old.
Old 04-04-06, 07:40 AM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

would not go over $3k for it. 60 horse moter will push that boat about 40mph. as laser said 14 years old.. decent can boat i found they tend to slide while connering an the wind effects then-blows them around pretty bad..
but you can pull them with a more gas friendly truck..
zooker
Old 04-04-06, 08:40 PM   #8
bass kicker

i would still go for sounds like i nice deal

ask for a test ride
Old 04-06-06, 04:24 AM   #9
FishinBrotha
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the posts. I guess at this time I'm not really concerned with how fast the boat will go as I'm still a novice with boats and bass fishing. I just want something that floats in the water, I can stand up and make a cast from without falling in from it being so rocky and something that isn't leaking water.

I'll know this weekend if he has sold it
Old 04-06-06, 07:15 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass kicker
i would still go for sounds like i nice deal

ask for a test ride
What we are trying to tell him in a nice way kicker is it is to damn high a price for the boat. It is not a nice deal unless he drops the price even though it hasnt been used much. There are better deals out there you gotta look around some. Hell I know where there is a leftover charger bass boat with a suzuki FULLY loaded for 18,500 and comes with a FULL warranty. Now thats a deal.
Old 04-07-06, 01:53 AM   #11
FishinBrotha
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh, the price is too high? That's all I needed to hear. Out here in Oregon it's difficult to find bass boats. I'll continue the search.
Old 04-07-06, 09:43 AM   #12
FlyRod

Fishin' Bro,

I'd be reluctant to pay that kind of bux for what is basically a middling quality boat of that vintage. In any event, the "he has a potential buyer" might be a load of shixt and just a way to make you jump for joy and reach for your checkbook when he calls on Sunday night and says "Well, the other guy wanted to write me a check on the Last National Bank of Nigeria and take the boat with him, so you're the lucky winner."
It's NOT a rig you'd wanna be on rough and/or big water with, either.

Save, scrimp, collect aluminum cans, etc, until you have enough to make a substantial (no less than 25%) down-payment on a really solid new or used boat, then finance the rest for the shortest period you can stand the payment amounts for. Be sure and factor in the additional fuel costs for both boat and tow vehicle, insurance (both on the boat itself AND liability), and general upkeep.

Lastly, be sure any boat you buy will fit in the garage!

FlyRod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-06, 10:14 AM   #13
Jackl

BROTHA,
You have to look at the whole picture. I owned a TX-17 about 20 years ago. It was equipped with a 50 hp Merc and the absolute most gas I could burn on a long day was 12 gallons. It was easy to pull on the road and did not cause excessive gas consumption on my tow vehicle. I could get in and out of fishing spots that the larger bass boats could not get into, due to it's narrow beam and shallow draft.
The down side that I found with the boat was that it was not a good boat on large lakes when the wind was blowing. It was hard to handle in the wind while running the trolling motor, and would take on water over the sides when running a cross wind in heavy wave action. Also, when fishing in the wind, the waves hitting the side of the boat caused a constant "PING,PING,PING' sound that was very distracting to me, and probably to the fish. All in all, I enjoyed the boat for the 5 years I owned it for fishing small lakes and reservoirs around home, but one trip to Lake Fork in Texas, and Truman Res. in Missouri convinced me that I would need to have a larger boat if I was going to traverse the open water.
In my opinion, 5K does not sound that bad of a price if the boat and motor are in good shape. It depends a lot on how much money you want to tie up on a "Hole In The Water" and what you can afford.

JackL

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.