Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-11-11, 12:38 AM   #1
toph420
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Fishing in the rain?

I fish a local pond in GA regularly. Today was windy and overcast with light rain off and on, and it is supposed similar for the next couple of days. I have heard different things on fishing in the rain. I was planning on going out tomorrow and was just wondering if I should expect a good day or not. If it could be a good day, what lures, colors, presentation should I be using to tear em up
toph420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 08:01 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've usually done well if it is a light rain or misty rain, but I've never done very well in a downpour. And since your also facing windy conditions I would go with presentations that don't require a lot of sensitivity or stealth. Lures I would be throwing would be spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, and shallow to mid depth crankbaits. I was killing them on buzzbaits recently on a day of light rain with wind. Since there is some wind in your forcast, I would use a larger buzzbait in order to get more surface commotion. Now if your able to get into an area that is sheltered from the wind and a calm surface, then other topwater baits could work very well along with more subtle approaches like worms and jigs. Good luck!
Old 10-11-11, 08:46 AM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ive only had one day in a lifetime when it was pouring they absolutely hammered a frog,light rain sometimes turns them on but sometimes one simply gets wet in the attempt.
I have had them hit buzzbaits in chop I could not see the buzzbait,yet would not any other topwater.Something like 1/2 oz to toss when windy.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 09:16 AM   #4
mrmuskie5
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Well first off the fish are already wet so they dont care about rain like you do lol. If there is thunder i will usually pack it in for the day, it seems to give em lockjaw. Now no thunder and a misty light rain and that is straight up hammer time for me (especially for muskies) i throw big dark lures subsurface to surface and work hard. Man this has got me wanting to put down the brewing for a miniute and go get me a ski!
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 09:32 AM   #5
gonefishin3

Funny you ask this... but both for my state tournament and for last weekend at amistad i caught them on dropshot at 20 ft..... also on amistad i had a really really good spinnerbait bite. Only caught one on topwater.. happened to be a 5lbder but ya know only one :/ Im a plastics guy so even if its hard to feel the bite i keep useing them... even if i have to had a one oz weight on a tx rig.

Oh and both tournaments it was a complete downpour.. last weekend got stuck on the mexico side of amistad for a while i couldent get across. i had to put my things away and sit down cause i couldent see 15 feet infront of the boat tell you what.. I was scared :O
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 11:06 AM   #6
kennethdaysale

worked on a framing crew to make ends meet during college, when it rained we couldn't work so rather than just go home we'd always go fishing...spinnerbaits (small ones in the ponds your describing)...ps rain is great, lightning is not!
Old 10-11-11, 11:26 AM   #7
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have only fished in a total downpour once. It was at Lake DeSmet in Wyoming. We absolutely killed the perch. We caught hundreds of them.
Old 10-11-11, 07:11 PM   #8
Fish30114

Northwest GA yesterday, fished in misty to pretty hard soaking style rain all day yesterday. Only one on a buzzbait--which surprised me--tore them up on darker colored crankbaits with orange bottoms--brown sunfish type pattern (edited to list: Crankbait was a KVD 2.5 Orange Belly Craw color) http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Strik...e-SKKVDHC.html and rattletraps. Couple different colors on the traps, blueish all over pattern, and good ol red eyed shad.

Only one fish on a spinnerbait--a (apparently retarded) crappie!

I've always liked flash and rattle in these conditions, but the flash wasn't doing it yesterday, and I always have liked buzzbaits, but I will confess they usually do better at this particular spot later or earlier, we were fishing during the middle of day til about 5...

Good Luck

Last edited by Fish30114; 10-12-11 at 02:55 PM.
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 11:15 AM   #9
MIbasser

I've caught fish before the rain, during the rain and after the rain. If the fish are hungry they will eat.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 06:56 PM   #10
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Rain usually helps the bite for me. It breaks up the surface and makes noise to help conceal the sight and sound of you. Reaction baits are usually best for me, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, wakebaits, chatterbaits, and spooks. I have also killed them on jigs in the rain, usually heavier rains. The rains start to wash things into the water, crawdads and bluegills get attracted to it and start picking food up off the bottom, so the bass start cruising looking for them to eat, right where my jig will be at.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.