Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-11, 11:49 PM   #1
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default still do it this way?

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb line 003.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	7270

30+ yrs ago when I started fishing a rubber worm a Zebco 33 and a cheap 2 piece fiberglass rod was all I had to work with (about as sensitive as a neoprene prophylactic) so my father told me to do this to feel every bite and bump.....now lo these many years later I still do it this way regardless of how nice my stuff is. Anybody else? age? why? etc?
Old 10-18-11, 03:39 AM   #2
islandbass

I feel I don't need to most of the time but I do once in a while.

You ought to try hand line fishing. The sensory receptors in our fingers are superior to the best rods on the market. You'd enjoy it if you like that.
Old 10-18-11, 07:52 AM   #3
bassboogieman

That's how I was taught a HALF CENTURY AGO, when fishing tackle wasn't half of what it is today. I don't feel the necessity to do it with the superior rods and lines we have today. I do use a premium rod, braid on spinning gear for finesse style baits where line contact would probably be most useful, but still I think no longer as important. My rods do not have a foregrip and I do keep a finger on the blank ahead of the reel seat. That rod innovation (the elimination of the foregrip) is responsible for me not feeling the need for the line contact. Direct contant with a highly sensitive rod blank improves the angler's ability to feel much more via the vibraion transmitted through the rod blank.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-11, 12:18 PM   #4
Bender

I palm baitcasters so that the line runs over my index finger with baitcasters and with spinning reels I keep my index finger on the line as much as possible too like this:

I have very sensitive rods as well, but I think that this really makes a difference.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-11, 07:58 PM   #5
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i do something similar i like palm the reel on my bait casters. i was in a tourney and my boat captain who knew a lot more then a thing or two about fishing told me to. I have caught many more fishing feeling the light and subtle hits.
Old 10-18-11, 11:14 PM   #6
Jrob78

I palm a baitcaster in a way that allows me to keep a finger on the blank and on the line (none of my rods have foregrips). I can also run the line between my index finger and my thumb if I'm fishing in mucky water to keep junk from getting into my reel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0762.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	487.2 KB
ID:	7272  
Old 10-19-11, 01:00 AM   #7
kennethdaysale

Jrob when you feel a fish eat your worm, where (if) do put your left hand and where do you put your right. I leave my left hand holding the foregrip and put my right hand on the handle just below the reel.
Old 10-19-11, 10:07 AM   #8
Jrob78

My left hand stays where its at and my right hand is on the reel handle. I set the hook from that position.
Old 10-20-11, 01:47 PM   #9
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I do just as jrob does. Sometimes i even cast while palming.
Old 10-22-11, 11:00 AM   #10
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I pretty much do what Joe does, but with spinning rods.. that's exactly what I do!
Old 10-22-11, 02:11 PM   #11
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I palm a baitcaster in a way that allows me to keep a finger on the blank and on the line (none of my rods have foregrips). I can also run the line between my index finger and my thumb if I'm fishing in mucky water to keep junk from getting into my reel.
Thats exactly what I do. To me that is the best way to do it. But I know I have seen either Rick Clunn or Stacy King one that holds their worm rods like that.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.